Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 3 Apr 2011, 18:19 (Ref:2858140)   #1
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is your brand new 2012 BMW M5.

Here you go.
Old 4 Apr 2011, 07:27 (Ref:2858399)   #2
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
The dark wheels ruin the Q-car looks. The M5 doesn't look too different from a 520d so why give it silly wheels?
Old 4 Apr 2011, 16:43 (Ref:2858675)   #3
ROB IS THE STIG
Veteran

England
Paddock Hill Bend Brands Hatch!!
ROB IS THE STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Because it looks like a 520d is exactly why it should have 'different' wheels.

I wouldn't want someone mistaking my M5 for a bloody diesel............
Old 4 Apr 2011, 21:55 (Ref:2858866)   #4
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB IS THE STIG View Post
Because it looks like a 520d is exactly why it should have 'different' wheels.

I wouldn't want someone mistaking my M5 for a bloody diesel............
They still could very easily, remove the badge off the back of the diesel and change the wheels. Not exactly difficult. Anyway, the BMW diesels these days are extremely good IMO, im somewhat biased being a BMW diesel owner myself but a top of the range 535d is nudging 300bhp these days and hits 60mph in well under 6 seconds.
Old 4 Apr 2011, 21:59 (Ref:2858869)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R View Post
... being a BMW diesel owner myself ...
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure your luck will change soon.
Old 4 Apr 2011, 22:05 (Ref:2858871)   #6
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh thats ok Adam, im not sorry at all. The car is fantastic, fast by most peoples standards except for your really top end stuff and economical and comfortable to boot, plus in my opinion a good looking machine. As much as I would love to own a performance petrol car again it simply doesent make sense anymore, particularly when you are racking up anything from 300-800 miles a week like I am. What is it you drive again by the way Adam?
Old 4 Apr 2011, 22:29 (Ref:2858877)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Only teasing. You're right they are decent engines. Oddly, I've only driven the petrol version of the current 5 series.
Old 5 Apr 2011, 08:48 (Ref:2858997)   #8
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
No problem Adam, sorry you know me I just tend to bite. Not too good at distinguishing what is humor and what isnt on here sometimes! With regards to the engine side of things though I would strongly recommend trying a diesel, particularly one of the BMW range. I've got a 57 plate 320d which has been re mapped, stock it produces 163bhp and re mapped around 210bhp. In my opinion it is as quick if not quicker than the MK3 Turbo Supra and 172 cup Clio I used to own, not as good in the corners as the clio but pretty damn close.

I do like the 5 series range, just a shame they are so much more expensive. For the money you may as well get a 3 series, there isnt a huge ammount of differnce apart from its a little higher off the ground and slightly wider and longer. That said, im sure the M5 will be a awesome car, but if I was going to be going for a BMW M sport range I think it would have to be the M3 at the moment, or possibly a Z4.
Old 5 Apr 2011, 19:40 (Ref:2859327)   #9
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My next car I'm looking at a 3-series diesel or one of those 1-series saloons (not looked too closely yet).

I did own an Evo 8, no chance of running such a car with current costs.
Old 5 Apr 2011, 21:15 (Ref:2859383)   #10
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
The 320d re mapped is the best of the 3 series for me JAG. Not a huge differnce between the performance of the 6 cylinder engines and 4 series, but a signifcant differnce in terms of fuel consumption from what i've heard. I've owned a few diesels over the years and I have to say I agree with you, getting a performance petrol car in this climate is out of the question unless you are reasonably well off. The great thing about the BMW diesel engines, and im sure other engines from Mercedes and Audi too, is that the engines these days do actually sound quite sporty too and not at all agricultural like. Ok they may never sound like a V6 or a V8 but they are pretty good.

Any idea what sort of 3 series you would be going for in terms of engine and body type? I've got the Saloon myself, but think I will be going for the coupe next time around.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 17:27 (Ref:2859768)   #11
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I actually prefare the saloon, I would have looked at something like the 330d but again it's running costs plus you can rarely use the performance.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 18:57 (Ref:2859818)   #12
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
I've got the 320d saloon myself. Personally id say its the best value for money, coupes are always more expensive and really the performance is the same. Get it re mapped and your talking 210bhp and 0-60 in about 6.0 seconds and 155mph+, i say just over because usually when they re map the engine they take off the restrictor too, i dont think it would do much more than 155 but im certain it would go past it a little bit which should be more than fast enough for most people.

The only thing I would say I dont like is that you need to run, run flat tyres as BMW dont provide a spare wheel, so unless your going to fork out for another its worth bearing in mind. That said, the run flats are generally a premium tyre and do provide pretty good grip.
Old 9 Apr 2011, 11:56 (Ref:2860845)   #13
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trouble is the 5 series is a huge tank of a car nowadays, sharing its platform with the 7. Yes it will be an impressive technical exercise in overcoming the laws of physics but I wonder if it will be really as enjoyable to drive as a smaller car (eg M3)
Old 13 Apr 2011, 03:21 (Ref:2862734)   #14
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nice car, shame about the wheels.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 08:55 (Ref:2871069)   #15
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what a boring looking car did BMW's designers spend 10 minutes on that then go for a drink
Old 29 Apr 2011, 16:02 (Ref:2871798)   #16
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Boring why exactly? It isnt supposed to be a supercar. Its a touring car of sorts, its practical for a family as well as a businessman. As for its looks, yes its conservative, but then so is the Jaguar XF etc. The car is merely continuing the evolution of the 5 series. Nothing wrong in that! If you want a more exciting looking car from BMW you are better off looking at the Z4 or M3. IMO.
Old 29 Apr 2011, 21:44 (Ref:2871914)   #17
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No shouldnt it be an exciting new model in stead of a dull new model that looks exceedingly simular to the previous one. Why not push the boundries, BMW has become a very conservative manufacture in my opinion
Old 2 May 2011, 18:24 (Ref:2873056)   #18
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My favorite part of this car? The wheels. I love black rims. These looks very similar (not going to say rip off, oh wait I just did) of an Audi design.
Old 3 May 2011, 06:15 (Ref:2873301)   #19
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaroo Park View Post
No shouldnt it be an exciting new model in stead of a dull new model that looks exceedingly simular to the previous one. Why not push the boundries, BMW has become a very conservative manufacture in my opinion
BMW did that with the Bangle designed cars, and look at the grief that the media writers gave them for doing so. It didn't hinder the sales for the cars however.