Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Jan 2019, 19:01 (Ref:3878008)   #951
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddha View Post
I would correct that, what is interesting is to see a leaf spring car for the engine bay picture of the Griffith Homologation and in fact the Willment Coupe CSX2131 if taking the origin of that pic to the full extent....

Then I would say, how is it possible the 400 runs on the homologation of the 200? Aren't they different and not just bodywork? If so that isn't covered by the special body rule of Appendix J of period.

Added to that, would the TVR crew put together a base of documentation and period pictures of the cars in order to truthfully detail what these were back exactly?

But a car just came up on bringatrailer.com which is supposedly a standard 200 road car from 1965, an interesting car for suspension, parts and all to look at. I won't say it's perfect and period as it's had a life but at least it shows what they may have truly looked like.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. and you at first glance appear to have very little knowledge!! I am not sure where any relevance to transverse leaf springs relate to any TVR !! You must be dreaming or getting yourself very confused.
Old 23 Jan 2019, 19:43 (Ref:3878028)   #952
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suggest you go and take a look at the TVR Griffith 200 homologation form. One of the two engine bay images clearly shows a leaf spring. The other image is of the same car - in reality the Willment built and raced Daytona Cobra - from the opposite side. These images have nothing at all to do with any Griffith, wherever they might have been built.
Having done that maybe a polite apology might be in order?
Old 23 Jan 2019, 20:03 (Ref:3878034)   #953
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hadfield View Post
I suggest you go and take a look at the TVR Griffith 200 homologation form. One of the two engine bay images clearly shows a leaf spring. The other image is of the same car - in reality the Willment built and raced Daytona Cobra - from the opposite side. These images have nothing at all to do with any Griffith, wherever they might have been built.
Having done that maybe a polite apology might be in order?
I think anyone banding around theories about transverse leaf springs on Griffiths should be apologising Mr H. The post reads to me like a conspiracy theory.. Perhaps the intent is lost in translation! Its a funny old world the world of Historic racing and their seems to be cliques of people who have strong opinions about cars which they have limited knowledge.. I sense a clique here! If a Homologation form is incorrect then this evidently will be an error within that organisation which seemingly makes up rules on cars to suit themselves. A further lack of knowledge perhaps to have let such an obviously incorrect photograph appear on a document?? Granted I don't know a lot about E-types and Ferraris but I do know lots about TVR's Some of my dearest departed friends built the cars that some people have strong views about.. Its great to see competitive Griffiths to an agreed historic standard racing up at the front against Ferraris, E-types, Cobras et al. I shall retire back to my clubman Garage.. No wish to muddy any waters however this thread is about Griffiths rather than Willment Cobras... as you say it is very important to ensure that period details are correct.

N.
Old 23 Jan 2019, 20:46 (Ref:3878039)   #954
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The homologation form would have been self compiled by the manufacturer. It was then ovestamped by the ASN, in 1965 that would have been the RAC. The simple fact is that TVR used the engine bay images lifted from the Willment Daytona Cobra. Which had, and is therefore visible, a transverse leaf spring. Most probably TVR were looking to show a Ford V8 with 4 Weber IDAs as evidently they had not built one themselves. It is just incompetence that led to the photographs being badly cropped and showing rather more. None of the above is conspiracy, nothing there shows a clique, it is simply factual reporting.
As I have always understood things internet groups work best when there is a robust attitude to the post, not the poster.
Old 23 Jan 2019, 21:19 (Ref:3878046)   #955
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
As I have always understood things internet groups work best when there is a robust attitude to the post, not the poster.
Indeed. It’s in the FAQs under ‘Posting Guidelines’.......
Old 24 Jan 2019, 07:58 (Ref:3878116)   #956
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Even in B&W it's pretty bloody obvious the car in the engine bay photograph is a totally different colour, and forgetting the leaf spring entirely the chassis bulkhead and steering column are completely different. I've only ever owned one TReVor but can spot that, I'd have thought a marque expert would have a pretty good Awareness of the only defined period documents on any one car.

Quote:
The homologation form would have been self compiled by the manufacturer. It was then ovestamped by the ASN, in 1965 that would have been the RAC. The simple fact is that TVR used the engine bay images lifted from the Willment Daytona Cobra. Which had, and is therefore visible, a transverse leaf spring. Most probably TVR were looking to show a Ford V8 with 4 Weber IDAs as evidently they had not built one themselves. It is just incompetence that led to the photographs being badly cropped and showing rather more. None of the above is conspiracy, nothing there shows a clique, it is simply factual reporting.
Old 24 Jan 2019, 09:11 (Ref:3878133)   #957
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I do have very little knowledge, I apologize for being right...

Pictures will speak for themselves, have your look at 206 GT on the FIA Historic Database, where these pictures originate from and a full scan of the RAC/MSA copy of the Homologation they have in house for records.

CSX2131 and Willment Coupe engine bay basically, according to my Cobra knowledge, additionally, upper right corner of first picture and you'll notice the leaf spring.
Old 24 Jan 2019, 17:56 (Ref:3878297)   #958
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Looking at the bottom photo again, the TVR is in the background!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddha View Post
I do have very little knowledge, I apologize for being right...

Pictures will speak for themselves, have your look at 206 GT on the FIA Historic Database, where these pictures originate from and a full scan of the RAC/MSA copy of the Homologation they have in house for records.

CSX2131 and Willment Coupe engine bay basically, according to my Cobra knowledge, additionally, upper right corner of first picture and you'll notice the leaf spring.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 14:55 (Ref:3878558)   #959
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The blank homologation form provided by the RAC Motor Sport Department in period required a photograph of the engine.Given a generic engine was used it seems if none were available to the manufacturer on the day he would reasonably use a photograph of the correct engine from another source.Which is obviously what has happened.
Photographs showing the exhaust manifolds and inlet manifolds were separately required. These items put together produced the specification for the motor for the car.
It seems to me that in this case the ''claimants'' for the car have taken more than the engine picture and claimed the entire engine bay,inlet and exhaust systems.
Quite clearly this is an error and needs revisiting by all parties ASAP to clarify.
Old 25 Oct 2021, 15:51 (Ref:4079954)   #960
Keaart
Rookie

Keaart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Now this is the sort of detail I really love to receive. John Strutt, having seen this thread, has contacted me and provided the following information and pictures about his Griffith which he has owned for over 40 years:-

'I have owned this car since 1970 and, basically, apart from fitting 4 Weber carbs and GT40 heads in the 1970's and the wheels being changed in the 60's, it is completely as it left the factory.

It was ordered and supplied by the factory with a lightweight body and factory installed roll bar. As you can see from the registration it was first registered in Cornwall, the first owner raced it in hill climbs and sprints with some considerable success and then part exchanged it for a Lotus 30/40 with a racing car dealer in North London.

The second owner (a friend) bought the car to tow a caravan, he said he could still out drag anything on the road even with a 10ft Sprite caravan attatched.
He was the one who changed the wheels!!!! It came from the dealer with 4 magnesium minilite wheels, Gerry Marshall of the Barnet Mo Co gave him £30.00 in p/x for the 4 mag wheels and the splined hubs. Some bargain?

Here are a couple of pics from Brighton Speed Trials where I raced the car for 20+ years, best time 139mph x 19.24 secs for the 1/2 mile, a class win, and from Santa Pod.

Anyway, Chassis no is 420/200GB 5028.
/
Hi My Dad was the original owner of John Strutt’s TVR. My Dad from Cornwall did indeed own the car from new and traded it in for a lotus 30/40. We would love to have more details and see the car we know it is still on the road. In the same ownership I have some photos of him competing in the hill climbs. I used to travel to the hill climb and sprints under the slopping back window. I loved those days and have fond memories. My son would love to see his Grandfather’s car so any further information would be greatly appreciated.
As it is my first post on this forum I probably have not done it right.
Old 26 Oct 2021, 19:50 (Ref:4080203)   #961
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to TenTenths, Keaart. Your post looks fine to me.

It would be good if you could post some of your photos on here. What was your dad's name?
Old 31 Oct 2021, 21:38 (Ref:4080850)   #962
Keaart
Rookie

Keaart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Now this is the sort of detail I really love to receive. John Strutt, having seen this thread, has contacted me and provided the following information and pictures about his Griffith which he has owned for over 40 years:-

'I have owned this car since 1970 and, basically, apart from fitting 4 Weber carbs and GT40 heads in the 1970's and the wheels being changed in the 60's, it is completely as it left the factory.

It was ordered and supplied by the factory with a lightweight body and factory installed roll bar. As you can see from the registration it was first registered in Cornwall, the first owner raced it in hill climbs and sprints with some considerable success and then part exchanged it for a Lotus 30/40 with a racing car dealer in North London.

The second owner (a friend) bought the car to tow a caravan, he said he could still out drag anything on the road even with a 10ft Sprite caravan attatched.
He was the one who changed the wheels!!!! It came from the dealer with 4 magnesium minilite wheels, Gerry Marshall of the Barnet Mo Co gave him £30.00 in p/x for the 4 mag wheels and the splined hubs. Some bargain?

Here are a couple of pics from Brighton Speed Trials where I raced the car for 20+ years, best time 139mph x 19.24 secs for the 1/2 mile, a class win, and from Santa Pod.

Anyway, Chassis no is 420/200GB 5028.
/
Hi my Dad Peter Blewett from Cornwall, owned this TVR. I would love to see it again. If anyone can put me in touch with John Strutt or give me more information about this car I would appreciate it.
Old 7 Jul 2022, 10:05 (Ref:4118537)   #963
johnstrutt
Rookie

johnstrutt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaart View Post
Hi my Dad Peter Blewett from Cornwall, owned this TVR. I would love to see it again. If anyone can put me in touch with John Strutt or give me more information about this car I would appreciate it.

struttty@googlemail.com

Be interesting to speak to you about the TVR Griffith, I still own it 52 years on

John