Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 Sep 2009, 20:59 (Ref:2548778)   #76
Cameron Winton
Racer

Cameron Winton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCameron Winton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shop was at the cross, Stenhousemuir. Not far from Boness. I believe the shop is still there but the lane behind is changed (Cinema was knocked down). Apparently the owner of the Plough Hotel opposite had connections with Dennis Poore.
Go into Multimap and use Birds eye view, It is immediately to the south of the hotel.
Old 22 Oct 2009, 16:20 (Ref:2567211)   #77
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
The Spa truck?

Just going through pics from Algarve and this Dutch registered rig was at the meeting. Is it the much discussed 'Spa' unit?

Old 22 Oct 2009, 17:10 (Ref:2567254)   #78
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's no beauty that's for sure. I think I may have to change the thread title!
Old 22 Oct 2009, 19:24 (Ref:2567383)   #79
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Sensible trailer wheel layout shame you would need an HGV Artic licence to drive it, I bet thats as stable as anything although an absolute beast to reverse.
Old 22 Oct 2009, 19:28 (Ref:2567389)   #80
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Sensible trailer wheel layout shame you would need an HGV Artic licence to drive it, I bet thats as stable as anything although an absolute beast to reverse.
Why would you need an HGV licence.
Old 22 Oct 2009, 19:51 (Ref:2567402)   #81
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I think you will find because it has a 5th wheel articulated front axle, not 100% sure but pretty certain as I did look into why trailers are not made like that when I used to have one of those articulated buggies the AA use and found them so stable.
Old 22 Oct 2009, 20:29 (Ref:2567434)   #82
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
I think you will find because it has a 5th wheel articulated front axle, not 100% sure but pretty certain as I did look into why trailers are not made like that when I used to have one of those articulated buggies the AA use and found them so stable.
OK forgetting if you passed your test after 1997. If you passed pre 97 and don't have an HGV you can drive a vehicle with a maximum gross mass of up to 7500kg and with a trailer you can go up to 12000kg.

A trailer is a trailer, it doesn't matter how it's coupled.
Old 22 Oct 2009, 20:34 (Ref:2567436)   #83
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is that fact tim coz there is a VW LT truck in our yard with a 5th wheel coupling like a baby artic and i was sure that was class 1. the LT is/was a van with the top cut off. it carries yacht masts on the trailer which are 25-30 foot long.
Old 22 Oct 2009, 20:41 (Ref:2567442)   #84
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Length of trailer is a different matter I think. If it's over a certain length (cant remember what) the tow vehicle must be more than 3500kg gvw.
Still dont think it's hgv, not that I really care as I already have one.
Old 22 Oct 2009, 20:45 (Ref:2567449)   #85
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I think it does matter, why do you think that conventional trailer wheels are close coupled even on my tri-axle where as an articulated trailer would be so much more stable but a pig to reverse as anyone who has tried to reverse a farm tractor will know.
Old 23 Oct 2009, 07:09 (Ref:2567678)   #86
Beany
Rookie

England
Aldershot, Hampshire
Beany should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does this count?

I tow my HSCC/HRSR Beetle with it. Porsche 356 wheels and 3 times it's original power. Very tiring to drive and you get to the track ruined, but it matches the car.
Old 23 Oct 2009, 10:20 (Ref:2567784)   #87
Andy Bacon
Rookie

England
Bedford and Phuket
Andy Bacon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Why would you need an HGV licence.
You would need an HGV if the maximum permissable weight of the trailer exceeds the unladen weight of the tractor vehicle. I would think this highly likely in the above case.

With a pre-97 licence the maximum combination weight according to our EU masters is 8.25 tonnes although some UK lawyers argue (correctly in my view) that this is removing rights you previously held (grandfathers rights) and is thus an illegitimate restriction.

Perversely, as in all things government led, (especially EU) if the tow vehicle is a minibus with 8 to 16 seats it is ok to be 12 tonnes total without an HGV or PSV licence.

Again, as in all things EU, they make the rules and then ignore them.
Old 23 Oct 2009, 11:36 (Ref:2567828)   #88
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beany View Post
Does this count?
I tow my HSCC/HRSR Beetle with it. Porsche 356 wheels and 3 times it's original power. Very tiring to drive and you get to the track ruined, but it matches the car.
Old 23 Oct 2009, 11:45 (Ref:2567834)   #89
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
A couple of months ago i had a day preping trailers. I also had a couple of spare relective plates for the Delta truck so decided to put them on the two wheel trailer we have. Boy that was a smart move as i towed the trailer behind the truck down to Portugal, there its law.!!!!!. A couple of the boys on the way down were finned 150 euro's for not having them on.
Old 23 Oct 2009, 11:57 (Ref:2567851)   #90
Beany
Rookie

England
Aldershot, Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
What's wrong with it??

Can we change it to the 'ugliest historic racing truck' cos I've always had a bit of a soft spot for this..

Old 23 Oct 2009, 12:46 (Ref:2567893)   #91
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bacon View Post
You would need an HGV if the maximum permissable weight of the trailer exceeds the unladen weight of the tractor vehicle.
That's a myth. I have a Toyota Land Cruiser that weighs a shade under 2tons, I also have access to a trailer with a maximum permissible weight of 3.5 tons, I don't need an HGV when I tow the trailer.
Old 23 Oct 2009, 13:03 (Ref:2567923)   #92
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
What's wrong with it??
Nothing- those are 'cool' smilies

I would love a period tow vehicle! Always admired the Super Snipe Estate on Minilites that Radford racing had at Goodwood every year
Old 23 Oct 2009, 14:05 (Ref:2567992)   #93
Beany
Rookie

England
Aldershot, Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Nothing- those are 'cool' smilies
Oh!....thought meant 'I must be blind'

It is a cool van....So 'cool' in fact that at Oulton Park I had to sleep under the duvet in all my clothes!!

ian
Old 23 Oct 2009, 14:58 (Ref:2568037)   #94
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
My first tow car was a Rover 3 Litre. I was working Sat afternoon serving petrol to earn extra money to go racing and the owner of the petrol station let me have the car for £60.00 to tow the Modsports GT6.I can smell those leather seats now it was also very cumphey in the back for a cuddle with my girlfriend..Those were the days.
Old 23 Oct 2009, 15:07 (Ref:2568042)   #95
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not before 9 o/clock Iain,there might be children reading this.
Never had you down as someone with a fetish for leather,who do you think you are? Max!
Old 23 Oct 2009, 15:09 (Ref:2568044)   #96
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What's wrong with it??

Can we change it to the 'ugliest historic racing truck' cos I've always had a bit of a soft spot for this..

Now that is a PROPER race transporter!!
Old 23 Oct 2009, 15:17 (Ref:2568050)   #97
Beany
Rookie

England
Aldershot, Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Now that is a PROPER race transporter!!
I was tempted to make a VW version of this for my HSCC Beetle out of a 1970s VW single cab pickup, but thought better of it!
Old 23 Oct 2009, 16:12 (Ref:2568083)   #98
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Shame!
Old 24 Oct 2009, 15:16 (Ref:2568733)   #99
Andy Bacon
Rookie

England
Bedford and Phuket
Andy Bacon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You would need an HGV if the maximum permissable weight of the trailer exceeds the unladen weight of the tractor vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
That's a myth. I have a Toyota Land Cruiser that weighs a shade under 2tons, I also have access to a trailer with a maximum permissible weight of 3.5 tons, I don't need an HGV when I tow the trailer.
Yes, my mistake, that restriction only applies if you have category B and don't have BE and it also applies for C1E. New drivers have to take an additional test for BE. Even if you hold a class C licence so you can drive a 32 tonne truck you cannot tow a 4.5 tonne maximum weight trailer with an average 7.5 tonne truck. For example a Mercedes 7.5 tonne Atego box van has an unladen weight around 4 tonne.

So back to the purple outfit above. Providing the tow vehicle maximum weight is under 3.5 tonne which incidentally will give it a payload on only around 1-1.5 tonne and you have BE on your licence the trailer can weigh anything you like (licence wise only).
Old 24 Oct 2009, 15:27 (Ref:2568737)   #100
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bacon View Post
Even if you hold a class C licence so you can drive a 32 tonne truck you cannot tow a 4.5 tonne maximum weight trailer with an average 7.5 tonne truck. For example a Mercedes 7.5 tonne Atego box van has an unladen weight around 4 tonne.

So back to the purple outfit above. Providing the tow vehicle maximum weight is under 3.5 tonne which incidentally will give it a payload on only around 1-1.5 tonne and you have BE on your licence the trailer can weigh anything you like (licence wise only).
Are you confusing/mixing licence requirements with plated weights of vehicles and trailers?
I'm just trying to comment on what a vehicle can pull driven by a person who passed their test before 1997.