Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Vote on which Q session you want from the choices supplied by the FIA.
Proposal 1 20 28.17%
Proposal 2 38 53.52%
Current format 8 11.27%
No preference 5 7.04%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14 Jul 2005, 17:17 (Ref:1355569)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fans asked to vote on qualifying

So, the teams have come up with two proposals for 2006 qualifying:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autosport.com
Both proposals consist of a 60-minute session, the first split in two halves of 25 minutes with a 10-minute break in between. Drivers would be allowed to run as many laps as they wish, but must set a time in each half. Each driver's best lap from each session would be then added up to produce a final time to determine the grid.

The second system also consists of an hour-long session, but after 15 minutes the five slowest cars must retire and will qualify 16th to 20th on the grid. After another 15 minutes, the five slowest cars during that period will also retire from the session and they will qualify 11th to 15th.

During the final 30 minutes, the remaining cars will compete for the top 10 positions, based on the best times set in that period.

Both systems include no fuel restrictions, with cars allowed to be refuelled during and after the session.

There's to be a vote on the F1.com website.

http://www.formula1.com/news/3312.html

I'm appalled by this.

I hope the FIA don't feel bound by the result of this poll.

They should come up with the rules - getting the punters involved generally results in bad decisions.

I'm all for market research, but if you had F1 as the fans wanted it, it would be disastrous.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 17:43 (Ref:1355586)   #2
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
both proposals seem pretty silly.
at least we may see cars running on low fuel again but not really sure how they plan on addressing in and out laps. too much traffic for us to see the cars go all out.
i voted for keeping the same system as this year.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 17:54 (Ref:1355593)   #3
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
IMO Both proposals are a complicated to the point of silliness (whatever that means )
Old 14 Jul 2005, 17:57 (Ref:1355596)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's what happens when teams come up with ideas.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 18:11 (Ref:1355604)   #5
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Well, given the choice between the current system, and those two proposals, I had to go with Proposal 1. At the very least, it is not single lap, and does somewhat allow for changing weather conditions.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 18:12 (Ref:1355605)   #6
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Proposal 1..... It is too complicated... most people had difficulties following the two session aggregate time at the start of the year.The proposal is just a more complicated version of the system we had at the start of the year.

Proposal 2... Why should cars be elminated? everyone should get a chance to set a time at the end of session when the track is at it's optimum and every one should get an equal oppurtunity to go the fastest they can... this is what qualifying is about (this is also a problem i have with the current system)...

A more sensible system would be to go back to the 2002 system but dividing the 1 hr into parts of 15 mins in which everyone has to set a time (failing to do so should lead to a penalty) thus avoiding the problem of having an empty track in the first half of qualifying.

Hence i havent voted....
Old 14 Jul 2005, 18:40 (Ref:1355617)   #7
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting that F1 allows fans to make the choice (although limited to 2 choices, neither which particularly exciting).

But both would be an improvement of the current qualifying that we have.

For show, i think the 2nd qualifying on paper looks interesting. This way, we have the top teams running 4 times more qual then their counterparts. I wonder if this should be done on race fuel and one set of tyres still... where teams would have to decide if tyre-wear/fuel load is worth sacrificing for qual position.

Hopefully, this would be the last time qualifying change in a long time.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 19:24 (Ref:1355639)   #8
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I prefer the 2nd system, it's more climactic, more exciting.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 19:25 (Ref:1355641)   #9
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just remove the fuel rule from the current qualifying system and I'd be happy.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 19:27 (Ref:1355642)   #10
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
I hope the FIA don't feel bound by the result of this poll.

They should come up with the rules - getting the punters involved generally results in bad decisions.

I'm all for market research, but if you had F1 as the fans wanted it, it would be disastrous.
F1 as the fans want it... that would be more overtaking, more teams, less Tilke-rings, with more emphasis on driver skill (according to the FIA's recent survey) - how would that be "disastrous"?

I'd like a variation on proposal 2 - free-for-all qualifying but then a top-10 DTM-style Superpole one-lap shootout.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 19:32 (Ref:1355645)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
F1 as the fans want it... that would be more overtaking, more teams, less Tilke-rings, with more emphasis on driver skill (according to the FIA's recent survey) - how would that be "disastrous"?

Those are objectives.

I'm talking about actual rules.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 19:36 (Ref:1355650)   #12
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be fairly simple... more races at tracks the fans want, scrap the $48m bond for new teams, standard ECU for all cars, standard brake discs to increase braking distances and overtaking; that kind of thing.

The FIA is good to listen to what the fans want - don't forget it's the fans that ultimately end up 'paying the bills' for F1.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 19:37 (Ref:1355651)   #13
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not keen on either proposal.

I'd go with #2 though.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 19:41 (Ref:1355654)   #14
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
One hour 12 laps no fuel limit..may the best driver and team win!
Old 14 Jul 2005, 19:44 (Ref:1355660)   #15
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Hooray Jeremy; as it used to be, exciting.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 19:46 (Ref:1355666)   #16
fastracer
Racer

United States
Irvine, California, USA
fastracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel both proposals are a bit silly. Aggregate qualifying already proved to be rather unpopular this season, so bringing it back would be a mistake. The second proposal seems interesting but would create problems with the current engine rules as teams would like to run as little as possible in order to preserve their engines. Whould a team push its car to run extra laps and possibly end up finishing 10th when they could bag it in during the previous session, thus saving their engine, and qualify 11th?
Old 14 Jul 2005, 19:56 (Ref:1355672)   #17
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta
Hooray Jeremy; as it used to be, exciting.

djinvicta "Back to the Future"
Old 14 Jul 2005, 19:57 (Ref:1355674)   #18
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
If a choice had to be made, then I would go for Proposal 1. It is hardly wonderful, but an improvement on what we have.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 20:04 (Ref:1355679)   #19
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
I do find this a weird situation. Why did they change from the original format? It was balls out, regulated by weather, slower cars, track temp etc. You never knew who would venture out at any one time and the last 5 minutes were a mini race that often produced the winner. It was equal for all.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 20:07 (Ref:1355682)   #20
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well, you see, apparently we all found the waiting at the start unbearable and hated not being assured of seeing the pole lap and things. I was perfectly happy, including the wait at the start. The new format was always going to be bad, and it has proven to be so.

Anyway, I shall resist the urge to produce a reactionary diatribe.

Compromise is what is needed, and I think the Proposal 1, in the context of the options, does a good job of that.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 20:19 (Ref:1355694)   #21
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
Ok then; I do appreciate what you say; who complained about the original quali? Was it Paul Stoddart (note correct spelling) or EJ because their cars were not getting TV time? Sorry both proposals dont do a lot for me, 1 if I had to chose. I think it will not produce the tension needed as before.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 20:29 (Ref:1355703)   #22
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Well, I think one theory went that the littel guys would get more TV time. It has turned out the opposite way round for reasons that are well known (and logical).

Really I think, when it comes down to it, it was all changed as a reaction to Ferrari domination and the desperate urge of the powers that be to make things "exciting" - the promise of strange grids and so on etc. etc.

It basically wasn't very well thought through, or done for the right reasons. IMHO.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 20:37 (Ref:1355709)   #23
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Adding together times is hardly interesting...didn't 'view' too well early this year, but it was better than the mess we have now.

Option 2 is okay...it forces all the teams to put full effort into the first 15 minutes rather than saving it for the end. It seems like the old system slightly fixed to stop the 40 minute waits.

In fact, I'm starting to like it a bit. I'd really like to see it tried.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 20:41 (Ref:1355711)   #24
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Well, you see, apparently we all found the waiting at the start unbearable and hated not being assured of seeing the pole lap and things. I was perfectly happy, including the wait at the start. The new format was always going to be bad, and it has proven to be so.

Anyway, I shall resist the urge to produce a reactionary diatribe.

Compromise is what is needed, and I think the Proposal 1, in the context of the options, does a good job of that.
This is how I voted proposal 1. If we can not have the original format which I loved, except for having to wait, and that is SO easy to fix..then it seems the best compromise IMHO.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 21:10 (Ref:1355747)   #25
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Aggregate times could be okay under these circusmtances - the real complaint most people had this year was that they didn't know who was on pole overnight, and that the major TV networks didnt'/couldn't show the decisive session. Also, the idea put forward here is much easier to udnerstand and explain to new viewers, and much more logical in that the laptimes are set in differnet conditions, but the timing of the laps come down to skill (and a bit of luck). The long-life engines would cause teams to trade things off a bit - it culd be that top teams will only run 1 lap in each half of the session, while others might push it more to go for pole at the expense of extra engine wear (or saving fuel if that remains in place.

Option 2 would be interesting as well, although I can udnerstand why some would regard it as artificial. Still, it would ensure drivers going out early on, and would put pressure on the smaller teams (especially as in practice this year it would mean 1 competitive driver being eliminated alongside the Minardis and Jordans).