Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Sep 2016, 16:45 (Ref:3671043)   #1
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Solvent for removing decals / glue

Help! I'm cleaning the car up for Angouleme :-) and have some very stubborn glue left after removing a decal; seems resistant to brake cleaner, paraffin, celly thinners, meths, white spirit and isopropyl alcohol.
Any suggestions on what might shift it, while preferably leaving the paint behind?
Old 8 Sep 2016, 17:48 (Ref:3671056)   #2
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about good old petrol,as long as the finish is 2k shouldnt hurt the paint.
Old 8 Sep 2016, 18:11 (Ref:3671063)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Yes, if you haven't tried petrol, do so. You may have to soak the glue with it for a bit..... And don't light up while you're at it!
Old 8 Sep 2016, 18:17 (Ref:3671065)   #4
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
it's celly not 2K so I was v careful; petrol didn't dissolve it - but there is some paint colour on the cloth
Old 8 Sep 2016, 18:54 (Ref:3671073)   #5
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It may be an aqueous adhesive (water based), and it would be worth trying hot soapy water.

Another possibility would be to gently warm the area with a hair dryer, and rub the residue with your thumb, and or lifting it off with Sellotape.

Bob.
Old 8 Sep 2016, 19:13 (Ref:3671078)   #6
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
It may be an aqueous adhesive (water based), and it would be worth trying hot soapy water.

Another possibility would be to gently warm the area with a hair dryer, and rub the residue with your thumb, and or lifting it off with Sellotape.

Bob.
Well Bob, that may be a correct approach but it sounds a bit wimpish.

Flame thrower at full power followed by change of panel and a re-paint sounds more blokeish I think.

Alternatively skip the cost of the flame thrower and just change the panel.

As a side matter ....

A chap I know and a couple of his pals will be driving down to Angouleme in their TRs with a view to enjoying the weekend. So if you see some Triumphs travelling in convoy or happen upon a bunch of bemused Brits of a certain age (or older) wandering around the place looking a bit bemused it may be them - especially if they are from Derbyshire/Nottingham.

Good guys with useful knowledge of cars if you are need of assistance.

One of them is a bit of a TR/MGB (etc.) guru.
Old 8 Sep 2016, 20:28 (Ref:3671097)   #7
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've had acetone (nail varnish remover) recommended to remove decals/glue from bike wheels. Worth a try?
Old 8 Sep 2016, 21:26 (Ref:3671107)   #8
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
I've had acetone (nail varnish remover) recommended to remove decals/glue from bike wheels. Worth a try?
Yes, but keep I off the paint work, however it a 'dangerous substance' so do try other solvents first.
Old 8 Sep 2016, 21:47 (Ref:3671109)   #9
owrforever
Rookie

United States
America's Dairyland
owrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridowrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Two products that are designed to deal with your problem are "Goo Gone" and "Goof Off." They tend to be very friendly to finished surfaces. You are more likely to find them at hardware stores/home centers or paint stores. They both have websites.
Old 9 Sep 2016, 08:15 (Ref:3671197)   #10
bauble
Veteran

England
Gratnp said; [QUOTE][/Well Bob, that may be a correct approach but it sounds a bit wimpish.

Flame thrower at full power followed by change of panel and a re-paint sounds more blokeish I think.

Alternatively skip the cost of the flame thrower and just change the panel.
OTE]

You may well be right GP, however, personally I would just stick another decal over it - problem solved (unlike the adhesive residue)
Old 9 Sep 2016, 08:23 (Ref:3671200)   #11
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can get acetone-free soft pads for removing nail varnish, much less aggressive than the real stuff. Works a treat on my Body Shop Cupid Pink.
Old 9 Sep 2016, 08:25 (Ref:3671201)   #12
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I used one of those over the counter sticky stuff removers to take the carpet glue off the inside of the MG when I took the sound deadening off. Be careful you do it in a ventilated area, I felt my lungs scarred for days afterwards.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 9 Sep 2016, 08:37 (Ref:3671208)   #13
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Good stuff

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/label-removers/4821277/
Old 10 Sep 2016, 00:13 (Ref:3671340)   #14
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
How do they keep the labels on the Cans then?

This stuff works a treat...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/100ml-Eucal.../dp/B00BBUIEYW
Old 10 Sep 2016, 03:25 (Ref:3671358)   #15
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I suppose WD40 is not an option?
Old 10 Sep 2016, 04:12 (Ref:3671364)   #16
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Ide still use petrol,there will be a small amount of colour on the cloth,but any dullness will dry back out to the original gloss.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 08:00 (Ref:3671378)   #17
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I was going to suggest petrol too, that's always worked for me. Another thing I've had success with in the past is Autoglym polish (other products are available), with the added advantage of the panel getting a shine too at the same time...
Old 10 Sep 2016, 16:38 (Ref:3671467)   #18
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
thanks for all the ideas; nothing I had worked so went in search of Goo Gone, found something called De-solv-it (sticky stuff remover) in Homebase.
It works! - sort of. It softens the goo and you scrape it off, needed three applications to get it all though.
Old 12 Sep 2016, 09:55 (Ref:3671835)   #19
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
the title of this thread startled me:

Thread: Solvent for removing decals

from a sponsorship perspective:
if You remove your sponsorship decals, you wont stay solvent......

RE
Old 13 Sep 2016, 07:21 (Ref:3672037)   #20
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Eucalyptus oil works really well for removing glue/goo and it smells really nice too...
Old 14 Sep 2016, 07:55 (Ref:3672274)   #21
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
It all depends how long they have been on there as well, but warming the area around will release the actual decal, especially if you can warm it from behind.
If you apply WD40 (or similar) and keep rubbing with your finger tip it will release the "goo" from the paintwork without damage but will take some time.
What does happen (especially on red colours) is that the colour on the panel will fade over time leaving the shape of the removed decal darker.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !