Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 15 Jan 2018, 17:05 (Ref:3792939)   #201
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Mike, are you sure the towing limit is settled at 3,5 tonnes? Things have changed here in order to keep "harmony" with our neighbors. The special licence and the calculation involving the weight of the towing car and the trailer recently changed. Everybody is lost even the cops! I just know that my SW plus the trailer are limited around 4 tons but not sure. In principle I dont have to have a medical advice very two years. What do i know!
I was referring to the limit manufacturers put on their vehicles, Gerard. It’s usual to see a top limit of 3.5 tonnes on things like Land Rovers and pickups. I thought any trailer heavier had to have proper ‘power’ brakes rather than ‘over run’ type. Maybe it’s changing! Some heavy duty US pickups have a huge towing limit, over there at least.....

The legal stuff on towing is about as confusing as anything the authorities get involved in! Glad it’s the same in France.
Old 15 Jan 2018, 17:27 (Ref:3792946)   #202
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Is that a beach motorcycle race like we have in Weston? Never been to watch yet but I've seen it on local TV. Totally mental!
Yes, it's a massive event here, run on the beach. Until a couple of years ago it ran through the dunes too, but the eco brigade put a stop to that. Now they create some artificial dunes. It's all timed to fit in with the tide, but if that starts coming in a bit early, the track moves.

It's normally televised live by Eurosport or Motors, so well worth looking out for on 28 January.
Old 15 Jan 2018, 17:41 (Ref:3792948)   #203
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
At least, its not the kind of bike meeting you had on some of your beaches… well should be No scooters either.
250 000 visitors? Probably one more this year. Yes its mental and they have to refill the fuel tank at some point. Electric ones have to change their batteries. The "inventor" was Thierry Sabine former Paris to Dakar organiser, good driver and good rider too.
John, you're right to say that the tide has a role to play. This is France and follow accurately any schedule is an option! They could start riding and finish swimming
Old 15 Jan 2018, 18:59 (Ref:3792957)   #204
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Interestingly Ford holds the rights to heated windscreens. VW had them but paid royalties for the use.
I thought Ford had allowed free use of the patent, wife's Vauxhall Corsa has a heated screen. Although we only get a dozen or so frosty mornings a year here in the south the heated screen is one of the best toys going.
Old 15 Jan 2018, 19:44 (Ref:3792972)   #205
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Ford seem a little bit touchy with some patents, they forced Kawasaki to remove the name Zephyr from the range on the NA continent.
Do you remember Robert Kearns who invented the alternative wiper (not very correct English again, sorry!)?
Old 15 Jan 2018, 20:24 (Ref:3792984)   #206
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Yes, it's a massive event here, run on the beach. Until a couple of years ago it ran through the dunes too, but the eco brigade put a stop to that. Now they create some artificial dunes. It's all timed to fit in with the tide, but if that starts coming in a bit early, the track moves.

It's normally televised live by Eurosport or Motors, so well worth looking out for on 28 January.
Competed there in the late 80's, harder than Weston and as much fun, probably more because' i'ts foreign.
Old 15 Jan 2018, 22:05 (Ref:3793001)   #207
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
10:00pm Monday. Get off the internet right now and watch More 4. Programme about building the modern E Type Lightweights. It'll be on 4OD I expect.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 16 Jan 2018, 06:26 (Ref:3793044)   #208
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Sounds like you were the only one on t'internet, Max....

I'll find it on catchup if anyone suggests it was worth watching, or hasn't been on before? 10pm way past Horlicks time......
Old 16 Jan 2018, 07:16 (Ref:3793047)   #209
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Sounds like you were the only one on t'internet, Max....

I'll find it on catchup if anyone suggests it was worth watching, or hasn't been on before? 10pm way past Horlicks time......

Certainly there was a programme on quite a while ago about the 'new' Lightweight E build programme, so maybe the same one. Worth a watch though, it was an interesting programme.
Old 16 Jan 2018, 07:30 (Ref:3793049)   #210
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I expect it was. This was "More 4" more accurately known as"Repeat 4".

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 16 Jan 2018, 11:43 (Ref:3793086)   #211
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I expect it was. This was "More 4" more accurately known as"Repeat 4".
Sounds like a repeat in which case I’ve seen it. Maybe we’ll get another prog about the DB4GT continuations and then the XKSS and then.......
Old 18 Jan 2018, 08:19 (Ref:3793507)   #212
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just wondering if there are any results from the auction at the Autosports International? Would be interested to know if, among others, the BMW 635 CSi sold. And on the subject of cars for sale, there are a few Capris of various classes on the market at the moment but none are Group 1B (GM Trophy eligible). Couple of nice looking RS 2600 though.
Old 18 Jan 2018, 09:17 (Ref:3793519)   #213
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Just wondering if there are any results from the auction at the Autosports International? Would be interested to know if, among others, the BMW 635 CSi sold. And on the subject of cars for sale, there are a few Capris of various classes on the market at the moment but none are Group 1B (GM Trophy eligible). Couple of nice looking RS 2600 though.
I keep checking the Coys website for these results Peter, there were a couple of entries that caught my eye. Nothing has been published so far unfortunately.
Old 18 Jan 2018, 09:34 (Ref:3793524)   #214
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm. One wonders if it was a success.
Old 18 Jan 2018, 10:46 (Ref:3793535)   #215
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Hmm. One wonders if it was a success.
For a while now I wonder if we are going to get another "crash" on the classic car market like the late 80s ?
What are the "Panels" thoughts on this subject that can't keep going one way like it has for the last few years !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 18 Jan 2018, 11:11 (Ref:3793542)   #216
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
For a while now I wonder if we are going to get another "crash" on the classic car market like the late 80s ?
What are the "Panels" thoughts on this subject that can't keep going one way like it has for the last few years !
Several people I know have been predicting such a thing for quite a few years now.
All the signs are there, excessive prices, very thick magazines stuffed full of adverts and so on.
But while those buyers think that classic cars are a better way of making money they seem happy to spend it on cars - when property starts to make money again it could change very quickly.

Recent auction results are showing a change in the market - some modern, supposedly rare cars are making huge money, the older stuff has been dropping back with a few exceptions, it's possible that the people who are keeping the auction houses (and dealers with fancy showrooms) in business are youngsters (many of whom are happily spending the money given to them by banker types in return for part of their internet business that will apparently be worth a fortune in many years time).
If sense returns to the stock market then such buyers will soon find themselves having to get by on far smaller bonuses.
Old 18 Jan 2018, 11:22 (Ref:3793544)   #217
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Coys published around 41 results of Autosport's sale, couldn't see any Capri in this list. A Pagoda 280 at 50k£ - hard top supplied and probably 2 seats only, auto gearbox and US headlamps - and a Mini at 35k£ - announced as being FIA appendix compliant - seem rather affordable if not cheap. I dont know what you mean by success.
Old 18 Jan 2018, 17:28 (Ref:3793594)   #218
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I had a customer that asked me back in the late 80s regarding investing in classic cars, I said at the time that "if you are clever enough it can work as long as you can afford to loose as well as win" he knew nothing about the market at all and listened to a "bloke in the pub" who flogged him two Aston Martin's for about 300k. This was just before everything took a dive and two years later he sold them for about half what he paid for them.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 18 Jan 2018, 17:52 (Ref:3793597)   #219
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Coys published around 41 results of Autosport's sale, couldn't see any Capri in this list. A Pagoda 280 at 50k£ - hard top supplied and probably 2 seats only, auto gearbox and US headlamps - and a Mini at 35k£ - announced as being FIA appendix compliant - seem rather affordable if not cheap. I dont know what you mean by success.
I don't think any Capris were in the sale. I was referring to the five or six on Racecarsdirect.

But do you have a link for the sale results?
Old 18 Jan 2018, 19:21 (Ref:3793614)   #220
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I don't think any Capris were in the sale. I was referring to the five or six on Racecarsdirect.

But do you have a link for the sale results?
There was one unfortunately tatty 3.0 Ghia, that's one of the cars I'm interested to know the sale price of (just in case it reached double figures!)
Old 18 Jan 2018, 19:58 (Ref:3793621)   #221
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.coys.co.uk/autosport-2017

Coys results for Autosport.

There is also a results list for elsewhere on the same day.
Old 18 Jan 2018, 20:27 (Ref:3793628)   #222
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Sorry Peter, Grant is too fast for me. Just hope he does not enter the same series…
What is strange to my eyes about some particular models is that for a genuine race Capri refurbished you have to pay around 100 k£ and almost the same price for a perfect replica. Last year, some adverts were above the 100 K£ mark for a Lotus Cortina while the auctioneers sales figures showed hardly 50 k£. I guess you have the same situation we have here, estimated price is something while sales price reflects the market at a particular moment.
Old 18 Jan 2018, 21:15 (Ref:3793630)   #223
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
http://www.coys.co.uk/autosport-2017

Coys results for Autosport.

There is also a results list for elsewhere on the same day.
Grant, that's last year's sale.
Old 18 Jan 2018, 21:26 (Ref:3793638)   #224
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here in Luton the rumour is that there will be a run of replica Viva GT's in 2018.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 18 Jan 2018, 22:29 (Ref:3793662)   #225
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Dear Bob in this Historic world they are not called replica cars . The correct name is a recreation . Got it !!!!
Closed Thread