Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 30 May 2017, 13:31 (Ref:3737382)   #76
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And not just for the adult prices but surely they can't be charging 11 Year olds that money? When all other venues are free... and is the camping per person or per pitch? Surely if one person boys a camping pitch then others in the tent just buy a normal ticket? Atrocious isn't it. I expected a hike of maybe 60 quid with camping. This is unbelievable. Hopefully other venues don't follow suit... Holjes next year maybe...
Old 30 May 2017, 13:36 (Ref:3737383)   #77
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The 'top line music' and 'finest street food' probably adds around £30 to the tickets alone.

Unfortunately, it will draw people in, because this type of stuff does. Joe Public prefer festival-style events over actual race meetings. Just look at Palmer and his festivals at MSV circuits, it's becoming the way forward, and the two most successful ones are the ones with the least racing.
Old 30 May 2017, 13:38 (Ref:3737384)   #78
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Excuse the language, but that takes the ****!

I was really looking forward to going next year as it right on my doorstep, but that is just a joke! From reading the details of the event, it almost feels like the RX is small part of it.

I couldn't care less about all the street food, gaming, music & driving experience crap.
Old 30 May 2017, 13:45 (Ref:3737385)   #79
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus_r View Post
Unfortunately, it will draw people in, because this type of stuff does. Joe Public prefer festival-style events over actual race meetings. Just look at Palmer and his festivals at MSV circuits, it's becoming the way forward, and the two most successful ones are the ones with the least racing.
MSV aren't charging £70 on the gate to get in though...

...perhaps we are jumping the gun with what we know thus far - and I can understand the approach being taken to broaden the appeal - but the prices listed seem extortionate.
Old 30 May 2017, 14:02 (Ref:3737389)   #80
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
MSV aren't charging £70 on the gate to get in though...

...perhaps we are jumping the gun with what we know thus far - and I can understand the approach being taken to broaden the appeal - but the prices listed seem extortionate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus_r View Post
Just look at Palmer and his festivals at MSV circuits, it's becoming the way forward, and the two most successful ones are the ones with the least racing.
The difference is with the MSV 'festival' events that I've been to there has been a full program of track activity related to whatever the 'theme' of the festival is (very loosely related in some cases!). If you just want to watch the racing there's enough of it to make it a worthwhile trip. All the off track stuff is 'extra' and crucially the festivals are no more expensive than other race events.

Maybe there's a lot more to come from the Silverstone event? But even so - it's going to have to be pretty epic to even come close to justifying that price.
Old 30 May 2017, 14:26 (Ref:3737392)   #81
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
After having a think I have some ideas.

Think about it. Silverstone have probably spent a couple of mill building the track. But very cleverly they have not built ANY infrastructure to do so. All they have done is dumped a load of dirt on an area of grass that was not used anyway, the rallycross track has no impact whatsoever on the rest of the facility. So that carries on as normal. Testing, corporate, etc.

All they will have to do is build safety barriers, (or not depends on stands). And hire in a big stand for fans to sit in. That is it. I am thinking you won't be able to stand anywhere near the track, are most likely to be packed into big stands miles away from the action.

It's a risk for them. I would guess the hosting fees are maybe upwards of 100k. So if it works and you get 30000 in at 100 quid a pop fair enough, if it doesn't, you lose your initial investment, but can sell the dirt, sow some seed into the grass and no-one will ever know!

the weird part is the actual pricing. Same price for each day? IS that a double header? As you can't possibly expect to pay the same for qualifying and practice as racing and finals!! Surely can you?

And the other events, well they can offer all they want but this is only a teeny bit cheaper than Goodwood and I know where my money would be going on an event like this!!
Old 30 May 2017, 15:38 (Ref:3737409)   #82
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
The difference is with the MSV 'festival' events that I've been to there has been a full program of track activity related to whatever the 'theme' of the festival is (very loosely related in some cases!). If you just want to watch the racing there's enough of it to make it a worthwhile trip. All the off track stuff is 'extra' and crucially the festivals are no more expensive than other race events.

Maybe there's a lot more to come from the Silverstone event? But even so - it's going to have to be pretty epic to even come close to justifying that price.
At some of them, yes. For example the Mini Festival is wall-to-wall racing but usually gets one of the poorest crowd of all the Festivals. Whereas 'Festival Italia', which last year featured just two racing categories, drew in a huge audience. Motorsport fans do not attend those events, but sadly everyone else does!

That's why the 'Lotus Festival' has gone down the pan- it was basically an MSVR meeting, full of racing right up to the curfew, and it didn't bring the crowds in.
Old 30 May 2017, 17:06 (Ref:3737432)   #83
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
http://www.autosport.com/news/report...track-revealed

Quote:
"What we're putting together here is something quite different to what we had at Lydden.

Next season's SpeedMachine Festival will include a concert with headline music acts on Saturday night, the use of the F1 campsite and in the Wing we'll create a whole e-gaming area for kids and young adults who wouldn't necessarily come and watch a World RX round.

On top of that, we'll be able to offer manufacturers the opportunity to show their cars off on the Formula 1 circuit.

But the best part is that, right at the heart of this, we'll have a world-class motorsport event. We couldn't have hoped to have achieved this at Lydden."
Old 30 May 2017, 18:10 (Ref:3737448)   #84
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Next season's SpeedMachine Festival will include a concert with headline music acts on Saturday night, the use of the F1 campsite and in the Wing we'll create a whole e-gaming area for kids and young adults who wouldn't necessarily come and watch a World RX round.
Ok - so create an event for people who wouldn't watch rallycross and alienate those that would? "Come to WRX and not watch it" seems to be the strapline for this.

Couldn't they have just had their festival with track demos etc. etc. without the rallycross and had a rallycross event as well on another date? It's not like it was struggling to attract a crowd.
Old 30 May 2017, 18:31 (Ref:3737453)   #85
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feared the worst when I heard it was going to Silverstone, but this is even worst than that! Obviosly IMG have decided rallycross cant be promoted any further as a stand alone attraction, therefore time for someone else to promote it.

Camping would appear to be per person, but its ok its in the F1 campsite so must be worth every penny... I also see that apart from the first 1500 mugs who buy advance tickets, grandstands' wherever they may be' will be extra. Problem is they probably will sell tickets if they get some current pop acts etc, but how many of those will have any interest in rallycross and how does that help the sport to grow?

Best thing we can all do is not buy tickets and hope someone comes to their senses and reduces the price, though probably too late now.
Old 30 May 2017, 18:39 (Ref:3737460)   #86
ebby
Racer

United Kingdom
near Lydden, Kent
ebby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can you get a rallycross only ticket not all the add on cr@p

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 30 May 2017, 19:19 (Ref:3737467)   #87
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was expecting high-ish prices; but I'm gobsmacked at these prices. Excuse my language, but WTF.

But should we be surprised? All/ most of the 'major' series tend to follow a similar pattern. However, this is only the 4th season of the World Championship and they charging prices for an established series. Does the WEC charge these prices at Silverstone? - I'm pretty sure they don't.
Old 30 May 2017, 19:33 (Ref:3737472)   #88
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebby View Post
Can you get a rallycross only ticket not all the add on cr@p
Nope. All or nothing seems to be the choice. Still if you buy early it's only £50 for a day
Old 30 May 2017, 19:39 (Ref:3737473)   #89
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sadly as a few of you are saying, it seems rallycross has a limited appeal in the UK. Works in France and Sweden though, and Holjes doesn't need a stupid event name and crap to get a massive crowd. Not does France really, for some reason the French swarm there.

That is total rubbish really as if the figures are to be believed 25k where at Lydden, (and I don't believe them one bit, that place can hold about 15000 tops.)

But someone somewhere thinks this is a good idea. I get it, I understand what they are trying to do, appeal to the mass market, the non racing fan, the person who is fed up with F1, WEC and the like and might try something like this if they throw in loads of other nonsense like they have. This is what I hear on other forums.

But WRX is already getting sterile, identikit cars, same winners, lots of identical liveries, drivers you haven't heard of winning (Johan K, Ekky, Bakkerud. Why aren't Petter, Block and Loeb winning Daddy?) To the layman it's spectacular but after a bit you think it still will be?

I doubt IMG are part of this, it seems to have been set up by Silverstone alone, obviously IMG are backing it. But really, why would you alienate an existing audience? I just don't get it.

As someone said earlier, all you can do is stay away. That sends a message, and let's hope it falls on its arse as other events have done in the past.

At least when Palmer did his American thing at Brands the first one was a tenner or something! He has increased the price now obviously, as why wouldn't you if you can (other than to make millions out of food and drink by getting as many people in as possible).
Old 30 May 2017, 19:54 (Ref:3737479)   #90
Pozi
Racer

Pozi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This quote from Petter Solberg sums it up;

"What's important is that World RX of Great Britain doesn't become too posh. It's rallycross, let's remember that."

Hopefully somebody might eventually take note.......
Old 30 May 2017, 20:06 (Ref:3737481)   #91
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I don't understand this. All we heard last couple of years WRX is the best invention since sliced bread. Now they add all sorts of things that have nothing to do with WRX to attract people. Rallycross doesn't need that crap.
Old 30 May 2017, 22:07 (Ref:3737509)   #92
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pozi View Post
This quote from Petter Solberg sums it up;

"What's important is that World RX of Great Britain doesn't become too posh. It's rallycross, let's remember that."

Hopefully somebody might eventually take note.......

Well the likes of Foust, Block, Solberg, Ekstrom and Hansen where the first to be excited about all the changes and too "up the game" and "raise the level" in Rallycross which we never asked for! Some of those actually haven't had Rallycross in their veins before, but where happy to be part of the change. Some of those game changers are currently not even involved anymore: such as Pauwels, Doran, Scott. They should all be ashamed!
Old 30 May 2017, 22:09 (Ref:3737510)   #93
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
"The jump's going to be a really big one.", oh no another jump, I hope it's not like that crap jump in Mettet
Old 30 May 2017, 22:11 (Ref:3737511)   #94
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
I hope for the fans that with this astronomical prices will at least give the fans a show with all support classes!
Old 30 May 2017, 22:13 (Ref:3737512)   #95
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I think at the moment there is a certain amount of desire to not attend.

But that will change nearer the event sadly, people have little backbone.
Old 31 May 2017, 14:04 (Ref:3737702)   #96
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some comments on Facebook are implying that the British (and possibly the BTRDA) Championship will use the Silverstone circuit next year.

Not sure on the accuracy of the above suggestion, but would be good to have some gauge of racing on the new circuit before the World Championship round.
Old 31 May 2017, 15:17 (Ref:3737723)   #97
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Some comments on Facebook are implying that the British (and possibly the BTRDA) Championship will use the Silverstone circuit next year.

Not sure on the accuracy of the above suggestion, but would be good to have some gauge of racing on the new circuit before the World Championship round.
I'm sure I saw something in the official Silverstone blurb that hinted at that - something about trying the circuit out with an event before the WRX round to make sure it all worked as expected and the circuit 'flowed'. That would at least give them a chance to fine tune things ahead of the WRX round.
Old 31 May 2017, 18:01 (Ref:3737775)   #98
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I'm sure I saw something in the official Silverstone blurb that hinted at that - something about trying the circuit out with an event before the WRX round to make sure it all worked as expected and the circuit 'flowed'. That would at least give them a chance to fine tune things ahead of the WRX round.
Found it:

Quote:
We've never had rallycross circuit before and we've got this one built one year out from the event so we can work on it, listen to what the drivers want and make any changes necessary.
Old 31 May 2017, 18:21 (Ref:3737777)   #99
ebby
Racer

United Kingdom
near Lydden, Kent
ebby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought a circuit had to hold a test event and gain FIA approval before Euro/World rallycross could race there. As IMG and FIA are bedfellows i guess there's no doubt it'll get signed off. No concrete walls so not quite GRC.

British rallycross is run by Lydden Hill Motor Club LHMC so would BRX really go there?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 31 May 2017, 18:28 (Ref:3737782)   #100
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebby View Post
I thought a circuit had to hold a test event and gain FIA approval before Euro/World rallycross could race there. As IMG and FIA are bedfellows i guess there's no doubt it'll get signed off. No concrete walls so not quite GRC.

British rallycross is run by Lydden Hill Motor Club LHMC so would BRX really go there?
It's run by BARC isn't it?