Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 12 Dec 2004, 20:11 (Ref:1177769)   #1
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Want to share some photos...

for comments and critiqe etc.

Is it acceptable to link you to my website? I'm not trying to advertise my services here honestly
Old 13 Dec 2004, 16:22 (Ref:1178359)   #2
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
Well I guess since no one has told me no...

I'll take a punt on it.

All you need to do is click on my homepage in the pull down menu thing. (since direct linking in post seems to be redirecting to a page that no longer exists.

Obviously I don't expect to sell anything to you guys, since we are all keen snappers anyway.

But I appreciate comments, critics and tips all the same.

And ofcourse it's a bonus if any media type person gets to see it.

I plan to broaden the events I do next year. Thus far the main focus of my site is on F1... and it's not all that intelligent to try and take on Sutton and LAT for starters

Last edited by James North; 13 Dec 2004 at 16:25.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 17:07 (Ref:1178407)   #3
JamesC
Racer

United Kingdom
London, UK
JamesC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice photos James... though you could compress them a bit more! They take an age to download...

I'd try some different types of events like you suggest... F1 is great and all - but I find other types of motor racing to be much more exciting to photograph... where the cars go sideways a bit more often...

Last edited by JamesC; 13 Dec 2004 at 17:07.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 19:42 (Ref:1178578)   #4
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
I take it you are on a slow connection then?

I changed my pictures to png compression after getting fed up with what frontpage did with the jpegs, where it seemed to compress too much and the image quality suffered accordingly.

I will be snapping plenty more types of racing/testing next year. I hope to join Mike for some of them.

Plus, I'm trying to get some more access to the F1 testing at Silverstone. A bit hush hush at the moment, it's nowt big... just possible regular paddock passes. I'm looking into the promotional photography thing to, but doubt I meet the criteria as yet.

My pictures are set to get a lot better soon as well, since I've only really had about 6 days motorsport shooting with my Cannon EOS10D so far. Lightyears ahead of my old Fuji s602 and s5000.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 20:11 (Ref:1178609)   #5
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You already know what I think of you're photos, but I'll say it again - great stuff!
Old 13 Dec 2004, 20:51 (Ref:1178652)   #6
JamesC
Racer

United Kingdom
London, UK
James,

The photos that I saw were about 400-600k - that's far too much - at the dimensions they are they should be about 100k at most... and that's decent quality too...

PNG is only suitable for graphics... not photos.

For instance this is only 80k:

http://www.mintylamb.co.uk/motorspor...l/DSCF0112.jpg

I use Photoshop and the "Save for Web..." function...

James

Last edited by JamesC; 13 Dec 2004 at 20:53.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 22:30 (Ref:1178752)   #7
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
I guess it's largely down to personal preference.

Currently I use PsP8 because I am well used to the PSP way of doing things (which doesn't seem to have that function). I admit to being a bit daunted by photoshop, I've only tried it a few times, and generally find it easier and quicker to use psp to get the same result.

I take in account your view on the picture file size, though I figured most people probably have broadband connections today (not everybody obviously)

I might try changing the way the webeditor links to the picture on the htm page. Because seriously... the way it executed with jpeg messes up the picture. Makes the pics look that they have excessive image noise.

Infact I think I know how to fix this, and will have a look into it over the next few days.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 23:19 (Ref:1178786)   #8
JamesC
Racer

United Kingdom
London, UK
James,

The "Save for Web..." function is just a way of doing things in Photoshop - PSP will have similar options.

It sounds to me that whatever program you are using to make your JPG images is doing them at too higher compression. In Photoshop you have an option in %. Anything from 0% up to 100% - about 60% and upwards will give you an image without artifacts. I have no idea about PSP - but when you save as a JPG it should give you an option to select the compression - either in % or 1 to 10.

Although most people have broadband - lets say 512k as an average... that still means the photos take on average 10 seconds to download. If you want people to seriously look at your photos (and they really should because they are good!) then 10 seconds per image is wayyy too long to wait.

Good luck in solving it!

James

PS - don't be intimidated by Photoshop - although everyone will say PSP is great, I think that opinion is slightly tained by it being cheap or free - I still reckon you can't beat Photoshop.

Last edited by JamesC; 13 Dec 2004 at 23:20.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 11:19 (Ref:1179089)   #9
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
I was slightly lucky and naughty in aquiring both programs.

I aquired Photoshop of a interested spectator at Silverstone. So it certianly wasn't the cost that put me off... it's just a culture shock. It's difficult to adapt to when you are very used to working with differnet software.

Same with PSP8, My Dad shared his copy with me, although I'd had the trial previously, and had used psp in various guises for years previously.

With regards, to the compression, I don't think it is the paintshop software that is causing the irritating image noise, it's the way frontpage compresses the picture on the webpage.

But I know how to solve this now. And I will do bit by bit over the next few days.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 13:56 (Ref:1179204)   #10
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesC
James,

The "Save for Web..." function is just a way of doing things in Photoshop - PSP will have similar options.

Yup, found it. Was looking in the wrong places previously. experimented with it for a while.

I've now implemented jpeg back into my gallery for September 2004, the sizes range from 50-110kb, some still do have a kind of pixelly effect that I absolutely hate. But I've settled on a compromise.

Actually the biggest problem was getting the webpage to actually display pictures. I unwittedly made a mistake on frontpage. I assumed I'd be able to use the existing file on disk without saving them as embedded files on frontpage. Which obivously you can. However it took me be surprise that was expecting the same file folders on the web server as on my computer. Took a few minutes of farting around figuring out what the hell went wrong. Got it working now thoguh.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 14:05 (Ref:1179216)   #11
JamesC
Racer

United Kingdom
London, UK
James,

The artifacts will show up even more if you save them as a JPG from PSP and then Frontpage saves them again as a JPG. You get artifacts on top of artifacts...

If you're saving as JPGs from photos direct from your camera - then I'd expect anything above 75 to not show any artifacts - at least nothing you can see unless you zoom in!

If Frontpage is outputting from JPGs - you really need to use the ones direct from your camera.

James
Old 14 Dec 2004, 14:22 (Ref:1179226)   #12
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
I'm no longer saving them from frontpage. Mainly because it's ****. Seems to be okay now, what do you think? (september 2004, only one converted thus far)

The ones straight from my camera tend to be large images (not just file size, but in actual picture size). And whilst not wanting to be picky. I rather not put up all of my photos in their largest form. A select few, yes, but not all of them. Otherwise I'm simply a free desktop wallpaper dispenser.

Last edited by James North; 14 Dec 2004 at 14:26.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 14:26 (Ref:1179230)   #13
JamesC
Racer

United Kingdom
London, UK
Looking good! I wouldnt trust Frontpage to do anything myself!
Old 14 Dec 2004, 16:05 (Ref:1179238)   #14
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesC
Looking good! I wouldnt trust Frontpage to do anything myself!
Yeah, it's rather limited in areas. Still, it's better than most sharewear stuff on the net, plus after investing in my DSLR etc I'm a bit short of money to make many further investments.

I guess I shouldn't have bought that nearly new car... still better having a newish reliable car to drive to the race tracks with than an old rust bucket thats liable to breakdown.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 17:33 (Ref:1179323)   #15
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nice pics!

using photoshop you can use the automate feature to save an entire folder of images at your prefered quality with the click of a button.

Its what i do for my site, (see link) i choose the best pics left as they came off the camera (crop and do levels if necessary) then do the automate thing, i've set mine up so it saves the preview with watermark and thumb size versions of the pictures at once, makes it a lot less laborious than opening every picture yourself.

hope this helps
Old 14 Dec 2004, 18:30 (Ref:1179359)   #16
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
I opened up photoshop again before reading your post.

I made a little bit of progress with getting to know it.

But watermarking is posing a problem for me atm... any tips?
Old 14 Dec 2004, 19:50 (Ref:1179433)   #17
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I just make some semi transparent text, (opacity in the layers menu, at least that's what I do), and that's it really.

If I want to do loads I can make an action.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 20:42 (Ref:1179482)   #18
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
im trying to find the page for you that helped me... right cant find it..

this is going to look daunting but it really is straight forward, this method will enable you to watermark and save your images for web easily

You'll only need to do this full process the once after that it'll be simply cutting the watermark to the clipboard and setting the automation going.

1) Go to File > New, Make a document at 72dpi at the pixel size of your pictures your web images are
2) create your watermark and colour / place it where you want it to appear
3) create a new document 1 pixel by 1 pixel at 72dpi
4) drag the 1x1 pixel from this new document to your first document
5) turn off your background layer from the layers palate
6) pull the pixel to the top left corner where it should snap into place
7) turn the opacity of the pixel layer right down to 1%

(this pixel acts of a coordinate so that when its merged with your watermark layer then copied and pasted back in, it'll always appear in the correct position)

8) merge the watermark and pixel layer by selecting the merge visible option from the little arrow on the top left of the layers palate.
9) press ctrl+a to select all, than ctrl+c to copy the selection to the clipboard

save the watermark file as a psd for future use

10) Now you need to set up your action, go to window > actions to bring up the actions palate.
11) Open one of your photos (originals camera files), now press the record new action option, name it and choose a functionkey.
10) under edit image size, size the file to the desired web pixel size
11) press ctrl+v to paste the watermark in
12) go to file save for web and choose your quality options
13) click save and choose where you want it to be saved (the local side of website makes sense)
14) click file close and dont save the changes - you dont want to lose your originals!
15) press stop on the actions palate.

you should now have an action that at the press of a key puts a watermark on your images and saves them out for web into the correct location, the dogs danglies basically!

NB you'll need a different action for each different image size

16) As i mentioned you can automate the process so that you can watermark and save for web an entire folder of pictures.
17) Not all versions of photoshop have the automate option but hopefully yours has,
make sure the watermark is on your clipboard see step 9 above.
18) go to file automate batch, choose the action to use, the source and destination folders and press OK, it'll apply the action to every picture within the chosen folder.
19) go and make yourself a coffee whilst the computer does the hard work!!

hope this helps!
Old 16 Dec 2004, 15:29 (Ref:1181135)   #19
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
I've done a few photoshoped (as aposed to paintshop pro) pics.

And they look pretty good for jpegs.

have a look at this one, only 65 kb or thereabouts.

http://www.f1-jimages.co.uk/sept04_tha_0511_montagny.jpg

Havent done any automated watermarking. Still finding it a bit longwinded. So I manually put the copyright label on it.

Last edited by James North; 16 Dec 2004 at 15:31.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 19:53 (Ref:1181339)   #20
JamesC
Racer

United Kingdom
London, UK
Looks great James.

Keep on with Photoshop - it's fantastic once you get your head around it...