Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 2 Dec 2005, 15:54 (Ref:1475778)   #1
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The start of the downfall of Formula Ford (Club)

not a negative thread,

But looking back on this year, and looking forward to next year, could this be potentially the begining of the end of the resurgence of club level formula ford.

This year seemed a very positive year as a general rule of thumb, there was a real "can do" attitude by most drivers, some sucessful championships and some that struggled.

There where some positive and negative points with orginising clubs and tracks.

all in all a fairly positive year which seemed in most ways to carry on momentum from last year.

next year, there will be a division in clubs, new orginisers, championships merged, orginsers withdrawing, etc etc and generally the mood towards next year does not seem to positive.

What are peoples thoughts ?

How has the plans for next year effected your decision of where and when and if to compete.
Old 2 Dec 2005, 19:57 (Ref:1475942)   #2
UCLan Nick
Rookie

England
Preston
UCLan Nick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I remember rightly, the NW scene was divided at this point last year over whether the class split should be changed to pre 90 and post 89. We didn't know how many rounds would be at Oulton (if any), and Diz was replaced as regional rep by national organiser, Steve Burns. Doom and gloom for sure! However, it turned out to be a fantastically successful year in the NW. Who could have predicted that (apart from Diz - obviously!).
Old 2 Dec 2005, 20:05 (Ref:1475946)   #3
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It would be good to hear what the realistic expected entries were going to be for the NW & Combe championships
I would imagine bothe could steal from the proposed merged Southern/Midland championship.
I actually want to see packed grids at Mallory
Old 2 Dec 2005, 20:16 (Ref:1475953)   #4
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSands
It would be good to hear what the realistic expected entries were going to be for the NW & Combe championships
I would imagine bothe could steal from the proposed merged Southern/Midland championship.
I actually want to see packed grids at Mallory
And I would love to see packed grids at Brands, but I can't see it at the moment. How many Southern based competitors are likely to travel to Mallory, and Midlands to Brands? I would like to see it, but there are not many I can envisage making the trips
Old 2 Dec 2005, 20:18 (Ref:1475955)   #5
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When you put it that way, how many Southern competitors were likely to go to Cadwell or Oulton, both further away than Mallory? The Oulton round worked because of strong local support. Strong incentives do need to be made to put the new series of races in a good position.

Point of order - diz wasn't replaced as regional representative by Steve Burns. When the championship became centrally controlled Steve took over the co-ordination with diz, Barry Ashman and Jim Macgregor continuing to regional rep.
Old 2 Dec 2005, 20:36 (Ref:1475968)   #6
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
if memory serves not many southern competitors, or any other for that matter, made it to Cadwell

Ian have you had any feedback re Mallory? Does the fact that BARC control it become an issue?
I've noticed that the HSCC isnt there again next year or at Thruxton
Old 2 Dec 2005, 20:42 (Ref:1475970)   #7
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As far as I know BRSCC will have a similar number of dates in 2006 than it did in 2005 (i.e. about four) so that wouldn't be an issue really.

I think the HSCC situation revolves around them wanting to visit other circuits rather than anything else. On the Thruxton front, generally there is one free date for a non-BARC meeting each year. I think last year it was AMOC, this year HSCC, and next year rumoured to be 750MC.
Old 2 Dec 2005, 22:46 (Ref:1476020)   #8
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSands
if memory serves not many southern competitors, or any other for that matter, made it to Cadwell
That's exactly the point I'm trying to make Paul. Very few travelled this year for MSV, and that was a good package - double headers, free tyres for the best turned out car, prize money, free(???) entry to FPA Autumn Trophy, and in a high profile championship. What are the chances they will travel next year for no prize money, no free tyres, single races etc? I am left wondering if we will see essentially two championships being fought in one, with the leading drivers in the Midlands battling for the championship with those from the South, yet possibly never racing against each other?
Old 3 Dec 2005, 19:08 (Ref:1476401)   #9
kartingdad
Veteran

kartingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
95% of drivers competing in FF!600 are self/family funded. This makes it pretty difficult for most one driver 'teams' to take time out to travel long distance to other circuits. As well as preparation costs there are additional factors such as fuel and accommodation to take into account which soon escalate.

People will do the blue riband events such as the WHT and Moose because they represent good value for money and can be treated as a mini holiday.

To trek all over the country with car and team becomes just unaffordable for most working folk. They can have just as good a blast at their local track as travel 150 miles to race.

I would say that just to do a clubbie at Oulton competively, self run costs:

Tyres £400, Entry £150, race prep (pads oil fuel etc.) £90 ish, test day fee £150, transport to and from (Living 50 miles away - and using transporter plus road car) £70.
That adds up to £860 to do a local event.

Factor in an away event with 2 nights accommodation for 4, say staying at a travel lodge or similair and you add on an easy £350 (food, no home prepped sarnies etc) for accomm, plus extra travel costs and time off work.

So thats over £1000 to do a clubbie. Hard to find that sort of disposable income and time for the average person.

A National series has to attract wannabe GP drivers or middle aged gentleman racers who can afford to be run by teams. Very hard to get grass roots competitors to stump up that sort of money. Tyres are a big cost that could be addressed, together with the cost of engines destroyed by poo cranks. But thats another thread......

Just my two pennies worth folks.
Old 3 Dec 2005, 20:10 (Ref:1476427)   #10
schomosport
Racer

schomosport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartingdad
Tyres £400, Entry £150, race prep (pads oil fuel etc.) £90 ish, test day fee £150, transport to and from (Living 50 miles away - and using transporter plus road car) £70.
That adds up to £860 to do a local event.

So thats over £1000 to do a clubbie. Hard to find that sort of disposable income and time for the average person.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, maybe your idea of a clubbie but not mine. I don't run an FF although I do run a single seater. Not very competitive either. But seriously, how many FF clubmen are testing, new tyres and new pads every meeting? And Travel Lodges - what happened to tents and kipping in the back of the trailer?

I do about 6 Mono races per year and maybe a test or two on <£3000 all in - licence, fuel, bits for the car, the lot. But, agreed, I'm slow and I ain't going to win no Championships.. Horses for courses I suppose. Oh, and to those who can afford a grand a meeting, jolly good luck to you - if only!
Old 4 Dec 2005, 00:17 (Ref:1476534)   #11
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You need a Formula Ford mate......

I don't mind saying that we sat down the other night and worked out the bills from this last season.

We had a good year. I only missed one round due to a holiday clash (I've already had all the stick over this) and we had one accident repair to a front corner at the start of the year. Add in a couple of sets of tyres and the WHT and we managed a respectable 6th place in the North West pre '90 Formula Ford Championship on just over £3200. I suppose you could add to that another £1500 to £2000 for out of season costs, ie Engine build and sundry, but it can be done. Okay, we didn't do a lot of testing and we didn't have new tyres as regular as some, but you can be pretty competitive on a smaller budget.

I have to say though, testing does pay dividends and hopefully, we can do some more next year. When you have had a couple of weeks out of the car between meetings, it's hard to fly on your first lap in qualifying. At least testing allows you to get back on the pace before qualifying.

I wouldn't mind doing a few more away day rounds, but I can have just as much fun at Oulton and if I did away days, I'd have to miss Oulton rounds, which I don't want to do.

So for a clubbie, I'm happy to do my local circuits and a couple of Blue Ribboned events. My budget allows this.
Old 5 Dec 2005, 13:09 (Ref:1477365)   #12
Tim Draffan
Racer

Tim Draffan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Southern championship is the worry as has been discussed before, not many people are prepared to travel to race. I can see it becoming a championship for the bigger teams, Avenues, KDR, West Tech, Marque Cars etc.
Hopefully there will still be a "King of Brands" and "Star of Mallory" to attract the local club driver.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 22:09 (Ref:1480038)   #13
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
Personally, I'd like to see Champion of Brands & Champion of Snetterton return.
Old 9 Dec 2005, 07:53 (Ref:1480240)   #14
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An interesting thread. Like Schomosport I don't compete in FF1600 but take in the midlands rounds of Mono, F4 and BARC-SEC Single Seaters in a Vauxhall Junior 16V - about 8-10 races per year. I'm not competitive either and hardly ever test but I still thoroughly enjoy myself and I am one of those people who, having been a spectator for more years than I care to remember is ejoying taking part.

I, too, have sat down and worked out my costs over the last 3 years and I reckon that all in (licences, club membership, transponder(!!!), oil, fuel, entrance fees, acident damage, spares, tyres and paying someone to help me at the track etc etc etc) it costs me £400 a race. If I wasn't mechanically incompetent and therefore didn't help I could probably lower that figure.

I bet that not many people in FF1600 can play for that little. But then I accept that FF1600 has a long history and is more competive than Mono (and that I am dog slow!)