Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 8 Mar 2006, 16:41 (Ref:1540540)   #1
jmatters
Rookie

jmatters should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you know of any drivers like this

Okay, I am looking for a good story.

Has there every been a driver or drivers that decided that for the good of the team or their company, he should get out from behind the wheel and find a better driver so he could spend time running the team, working on the car etc.?

Here is why I ask: I am a pastor and I am currently doing a message series called God's Garage: a rebuilt life. I am basically using cars, engines, and racing as object lessons of what God wants to do in our lives. So I want to talk about how God wants us to get out from behind the wheel of our lives and let him drive--because he is better at it than we are.

If you know of any stories, please do share. Even if you don't know the details, tell me what you know and I can research it from there.

Many thanks!!!
Old 8 Mar 2006, 17:53 (Ref:1540609)   #2
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There must be hundreds - try Enzo Ferrari, Bernie Ecclestone, Rob Walker, Ken Tyrrell, Frank Williams for a start!
Old 8 Mar 2006, 17:58 (Ref:1540612)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, many of the big team bosses started out in motorsport as drivers but decided that they weren't quite quick enough to make the grade and went onto be successful racing team owners and managers. Along with those already mentioned you can add Max Mosley and Eddie Jordan.
Old 8 Mar 2006, 18:13 (Ref:1540624)   #4
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I can think of a couple of less high profile examples to be going on with:

1/ Pete Hall stepped down from driving duties in 1983 to let Andy Rouse take over driving duties in the BTCC. (Rouse did actually prepare the car for Pete, a long time sponsor and friend but Pete felt he wasn't doing the car justice and it could challenge for honours in Rouse's hands.) which he duly did after eventual disqualification of Rover.

2/ Also in the BTCC, Alan Minshaw who owns a well known race accessory business entered an ex Prodrive BMW M3 in 1988. He couldn't get the car on the pace of the works cars but reckoned it would be with the right driver. Enter the late Roland Ratzenberger, an ex works driver from the ETC who was looking to find more money for single seaters and a bit on a limb, so Minshaw invited him to drive it. The Austrian provided a good foil for the works cars for the remainder of the year and cracking entertainment to boot and was quite capable of pinching the class title off Frank Sytner if he hadn't have been asked to back off!

3/ 'Ranieri Randaccio' who ran a team called Berkeley Team London had a couple of proteges in single seaters. Ranieri entered a Reynard in the '91 British F3000 and after a few rounds let Mirko Savoldi, a then reasonably promising Italian F3 driver have the seat. Randaccio is still around in European sportscar races.

Not sure but I think 1986 Bathurst winner Graeme Bailey along with Allan Grice actually hired Grice to pedal his Commodore that Les Small prepared for home and European races. I don't think it was in palce of the car owner but it was certainly a case of realising ones own shortcomings as a driver and getting an ace in to do the quick driving part of the job. Our Australian friends will sort that one out for us i'm sure!

I believe there are a number of similar cases in many categories of racing over the years, which i'm sure fellow posters will highlight.
Old 8 Mar 2006, 18:18 (Ref:1540632)   #5
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
More recently, Michael Andretti (although he was a pretty good driver as well, apart from F1)
Old 8 Mar 2006, 18:20 (Ref:1540634)   #6
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Nice one!!!

BTW Alan, what's going on in your avatar pic?! Looks a bit of a hairy moment!
Old 8 Mar 2006, 18:26 (Ref:1540643)   #7
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Nice one!!!

I haven't any pictures of me winning so thought I would put one in of me crashing. It wasn't as bad as it looked and I managed to finish the race, abeit having to hold the cockpit down on the straights as the front fixing and nosecone had been knocked off. That was the only damage. I was also fortunate as it was the first race of the the year and the bodywork was only rubbed down ready for spraying - phew more money saved!
Old 8 Mar 2006, 18:28 (Ref:1540646)   #8
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Top stuff!!

Are you thinking of following the suggestion of this thread then?!
Old 8 Mar 2006, 18:31 (Ref:1540649)   #9
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Top stuff!!

Are you thinking of following the suggestion of this thread then?!
Nah - not brilliant as a race driver, but probably even worse as a team owner!
Old 8 Mar 2006, 19:12 (Ref:1540680)   #10
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Martin Donnelly? Formula Ford or f3 boss??

Dave Richards, he was a co-driver, he is the prodrive boss!

Aguri Suzuki! Super Aguri! Remember they were successful in Formula Nippon

Christian Horner, good F3000 driver, now Red Bull F1 boss!
Old 9 Mar 2006, 02:12 (Ref:1540863)   #11
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Looks like you are going rallycrossing!
Old 9 Mar 2006, 05:05 (Ref:1540909)   #12
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
2/ Also in the BTCC, Alan Minshaw who owns a well known race accessory business entered an ex Prodrive BMW M3 in 1988. He couldn't get the car on the pace of the works cars but reckoned it would be with the right driver. Enter the late Roland Ratzenberger, an ex works driver from the ETC who was looking to find more money for single seaters and a bit on a limb, so Minshaw invited him to drive it. The Austrian provided a good foil for the works cars for the remainder of the year and cracking entertainment to boot and was quite capable of pinching the class title off Frank Sytner if he hadn't have been asked to back off!
He asked him to drive after he couldn't get his head round the left hand drive bit following his Oulton shunt strangeley enough aided by Sytner !!
Old 9 Mar 2006, 08:51 (Ref:1540982)   #13
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Much more recently Martin Short potentially comes into this category. He's a pretty good pedaller but more recently has been running his cars with other drivers in them. Whether this is because he thinks they're better than him or because it makes financial sense and he's a good team manager you'd probably have to ask him!!
Old 9 Mar 2006, 09:17 (Ref:1541003)   #14
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875
Looks like you are going rallycrossing!
I was - Unintentionally!

Martin Donnelly became team owner after his monster F1 accident.

Other drivers who became team owners are Graham Hill, Eddie Cheever, Paul Newman (in an obscure way) Roger Penske etc. In fact I would hazard a guess most team owners have raced at some stage.

Many drivers set up there own teams and realise that they can't do both as the more successful or higher up the ladder they go the more time consuming it becomes.
Old 9 Mar 2006, 10:05 (Ref:1541581)   #15
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about Harry Stiller [useful himself] - who quit when he was told by a fortune teller that he'd come to a sticky end - and ended up running Alan Jones all the way to his first F1 drive.

Chris
Old 9 Mar 2006, 12:15 (Ref:1541654)   #16
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am not sure Eddie Jordan or Bernie are names that immediately trip off the tongue of a man of the cloth as role models though!!!!
Old 9 Mar 2006, 12:26 (Ref:1541659)   #17
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Perhaps a more inspiring example of what the originator (Pastor) is looking for would be Peter Collins voluntarily giving up his Ferrari to Fangio at the 1956 Italian GP to allow Juan to clinch his fourth Title by finishing second and sharing the points with Peter. Seeing Fangio on the pit counter when he came in to refuel Collins sportingly stepped out of the car. This was true 'love of his fellow man' and showed that not everyone puts winning races above all else.
In those days it was common enough for a lesser driver to be called in to the pits and hand over his car to someone like Moss or Fangio, but this was one top man to another and done out of respect not team orders.
Old 9 Mar 2006, 12:43 (Ref:1541673)   #18
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe the actions taken by one driver in stopping and trying to save the life of a fellow driver and putting themselves in danger and in many case's causing themselves injury.

David Purley springs to mind, but there are many others.
Old 9 Mar 2006, 12:57 (Ref:1541684)   #19
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
Maybe the actions taken by one driver in stopping and trying to save the life of a fellow driver and putting themselves in danger and in many case's causing themselves injury.

David Purley springs to mind, but there are many others.
didnt James Hunt do that as well....
Old 9 Mar 2006, 12:58 (Ref:1541687)   #20
jamesholland
Racer

jamesholland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A little left of field perhaps but in the case of the Mercedes-Benz team of the 1930s and 50s Technical Director Rudolf Uhlenhaut was on hand to test the cars if any of the works drivers had any complaints about them. He was as good a driver as most of them too.
Old 9 Mar 2006, 13:04 (Ref:1541694)   #21
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are many examples, can't recal the details but I am sure you are right about Hunt, Clay Regazzoni (spelling?) did as well I think.

You could even expand it to include marshal's, who are unpaid and are prepared to risk life and limb for the love of a thermos of coffee.
Old 9 Mar 2006, 13:17 (Ref:1541699)   #22
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminsh
He asked him to drive after he couldn't get his head round the left hand drive bit following his Oulton shunt strangeley enough aided by Sytner !!
Getting slightly off topic...

Yes, i remember now, Alan had a nasty one into and over the tyre coming out of Cascades when a 'white version' tapped him round. Very early in the year wasn't it and then i'm guessing he thought; 's** this for a game of soldiers!'

Roland came in after the quite pricey (i would imagine) repairs i think?
Old 9 Mar 2006, 13:37 (Ref:1541709)   #23
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
There are many examples, can't recal the details but I am sure you are right about Hunt, Clay Regazzoni (spelling?) did as well I think.
You might be thiking of Mike Hailwood. He pulled Regazzoni out of his burning car in the South African GP in 1973
Old 9 Mar 2006, 13:51 (Ref:1541725)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
didnt James Hunt do that as well....
Monza 1977, James tried to save Ronnie Petersen when the marshalls were too slow to assist. Actually it wasn't the fire that killed Ronnie it was an embolism resulting from the broken legs. Although no doubt he was in a bad way from the fire.
Old 9 Mar 2006, 14:04 (Ref:1541738)   #25
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Back on topic again... well kind of. There are obviously plenty of people who forsaked the driving for a role as a team manager/leader. Age is one thing that to some extent expedites or crystallizes this process. However, wouldn't it be more interesting to look at those who went the other way because they 'believed' the driver wasn't good enough. Didn't A.J. Foyt do that ? I remember him coming into pit lane in a race one year and getting out of the car to lambaste his crew. Well I think that's what happened. Volunteers to shed more light... or cite more examples ?