Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Apr 2006, 21:18 (Ref:1593162)   #1
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
McLaren's strategy (merged)

Isn't it about time they gave a serious rethink to their pit stop stratergy?

Imo, at a place like Imola their "qualifying 3 or 4 row's back on a heavy fuel load" was never going to work.

I know hindsight is a wonderful tool, but due to their insistance on adopting this stratergy they qualified behind slower cars and by the time the leaders stopped they were roughly the time it takes to make a pit stop behind.

Given Michael (and Massa'a) graining problems, they narrowed the gap near the end of the race, with JPM a mere 13 seconds behind (i.e he made up roughly 7 - 10 seconds when the fuel levels equalled out). Surely, had they gone for a better grid position, it would have put them in a better position to win the race.

Obviously, i understand the theory of their thinking, but they have to have everything fall their way, which, when they get squeezed out at the first corner, mean's they are on the back foot straight away.

Thoughts?
Old 23 Apr 2006, 21:24 (Ref:1593170)   #2
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McLaren and strategy don't mix. The idea of a heavy fuel load on Imola is insane. Their strategists suck.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 21:25 (Ref:1593171)   #3
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It does seem like McLaren enjoy putting a handicap on themselves at every race with the insistence of a heavy fuel load. Sometimes it pays off but quite often it just leaves them with extra work to do on Sunday.

I'm not going to pretend I know better than the guys McLaren pay big bucks to decide these things, but it does look like they're using the fuel excuse as a smokescreen for other things sometimes.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 21:26 (Ref:1593174)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I nearly started an identical thread! But, thinking about it, today they weren't all that heavier than everyone else and I don't think fuel was the reason for their grid slots.

Having said that, they do tend to persist with the heavy fuel loads.....and I think this is fine, if you have a car advantage as they did with the MP4-20. But when you have a car that is not out ahead, you need to get it up the grid and "in the mix" IMO.....and I can't understand why McLaren don't try to do this.

What will they lose by qualifying a little lighter? They won't do any worse that's for sure!

If the rumours are right, McLaren are out desperately trying to sign Pat Symonds. He can't come soon enough...
Old 23 Apr 2006, 21:28 (Ref:1593177)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
If the rumours are right, McLaren are out desperately trying to sign Pat Symonds. He can't come soon enough...
Well he seems to object to long stints even if the car has plenty of fuel left I jest, one mistake - he does seem decent at organising a team.

I hadn't heard that. Crickey. He seems at home at Renault.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 21:30 (Ref:1593178)   #6
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes infact Mac were lighter than the Renaults today so they clearly went for the grid slot.
I think it was a combination of lack of speed and poor driving that cost them grid positions yesterday.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 21:36 (Ref:1593187)   #7
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
I nearly started an identical thread! But, thinking about it, today they weren't all that heavier than everyone else and I don't think fuel was the reason for their grid slots.
Yeah, same here. I was about to start that thread after quali, but then I thought, ok let's see if that was the problem. Apparently it was not.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 21:39 (Ref:1593189)   #8
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Well he seems to object to long stints even if the car has plenty of fuel left I jest, one mistake - he does seem decent at organising a team.

I hadn't heard that. Crickey. He seems at home at Renault.
OT but...
I always thought it would be a logical move for Symonds to follow his star driver to Mclaren. Especially if Renault fail to sign an adequete replacement for ALonso
Old 23 Apr 2006, 21:40 (Ref:1593191)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan
Yes infact Mac were lighter than the Renaults today so they clearly went for the grid slot.
I think it was a combination of lack of speed and poor driving that cost them grid positions yesterday.
They were lighter than both Renaults, but, Fisi's stratergy was decided due to his poor driving also, i.e. he failed to qualify in the top 10, thus Renault were allowed to pick his stratergy after qualifying.

Of the top 8, Alfonso went the longest, but the fact that he has the best car by miles may have allowed for this (his driving notwithstanding of course)

Looking at the top 8 qualifiers in order ...

Michael, Jenson, Rubens, Massa, Alfonso, Rafe, JPM, Kimi

and they pitted in this order ...

Jenson (Lap 14) Rubens (15) Rafe (16) Massa (19) Michael (20) Kimi (22) JPM (23) Alfonso (25)

Ok, they didn't go that heavy in comparison, but with the exception of Alfonso, they went heaviest of the rest of the top 8.

My point is, take a bit of fuel out, get infront of some of the other guys, lessen the risk of getting caught up in a first corner incident, or being "squeezed out" as both were today and greaten the chance of a win?
Old 23 Apr 2006, 21:41 (Ref:1593194)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
OT but...
I always thought it would be a logical move for Symonds to follow his star driver to Mclaren. Especially if Renault fail to sign an adequete replacement for ALonso
He didn't follow Michael to Ferrari, the only one who didn't basically.

Back on topic ....

Old 23 Apr 2006, 22:01 (Ref:1593220)   #11
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
Michael, Jenson, Rubens, Massa, Alfonso, Rafe, JPM, Kimi
and they pitted in this order ...
Jenson (Lap 14) Rubens (15) Rafe (16) Massa (19) Michael (20) Kimi (22) JPM (23) Alfonso (25)
surely this proves that they were on the right strategy. the pitted about 2 laps after MS and they wouldnt have wanted to be in the Toyota and Honda range ie a 3 stopper. I mean 2 laps shouldnt have been That significant in the qually times
I think if they would have overall pace strategies wouldnt matter... i remember last year Kimi used to be on pole AND be the last one to pit at times... What Mclaren need is anothe half second from somewhere...
Old 23 Apr 2006, 22:05 (Ref:1593224)   #12
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
... i remember last year Kimi used to be on pole AND be the last one to pit at times... What Mclaren need is anothe half second from somewhere...
In that case, their car isn't fast enough to adopt this stratergy
Old 23 Apr 2006, 22:44 (Ref:1593256)   #13
DeoValente
Racer

DeoValente has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
OT but...

I dont think Symonds and Dennis are exactly buddy/buddy. Symonds more than once mentioned how Renault beats Mclaren with a fraction of what Dennis is spending. With a huge grin. So i think he has a lot of satisfaction right now.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 23:44 (Ref:1593291)   #14
rpolinski
Racer

Australia
rpolinski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeoValente
I dont think Symonds and Dennis are exactly buddy/buddy. Symonds more than once mentioned how Renault beats Mclaren with a fraction of what Dennis is spending. With a huge grin. So i think he has a lot of satisfaction right now.
But let's just see how he feels when offered a big chunk of that extra money McLaren spends.
Old 2 May 2006, 12:55 (Ref:1599343)   #15
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
McLaren's heavy fuel strategy - is it working?

Just a having a think about McLaren's heavy fuel load strategy in the 2006 season, is it working?

So far we have seen the McLaren duo being held up and involved in accidents due to being further down the grid than the other big 3 teams.

Do you think McLaren should run a "more conventional" fuel load, and be mixing it with Ferrari, Honda and Renault head to head?

Discuss!
Old 2 May 2006, 13:12 (Ref:1599357)   #16
Halsey
Racer

Brazil
Tasmania
Halsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say it probably hasn't, so on that basis I certainly think at the very least they should try carrying less fuel initially - the results might be pleasing enough for them to justify continuing to do it.

As you said, their cars do appear to have been to be caught up in incidents close to the middle of the pack, so being more up the front at the start would decrease the chance of that happening.

I think Brundle has mentioned this - describing McLaren as using the 'optimal' race strategy, and has been sceptical about its effectiveness. I tend to agree, seeing as they don't appear to have the clear pace advantage over all the other teams they enjoyed last year. As a result they're prone to being stuck behind cars that slow them down, but unlike last year, they haven't been as able to put in a series of blistering lap times to leapfrog the cars during the pitstops.

And this being their home race, I'm sure that would give them added incentive to PR it up and challenge for the pole - and if that does happen, I have a hunch Montoya might be the guinea pig with less fuel.

Last edited by Halsey; 2 May 2006 at 13:14.
Old 2 May 2006, 14:08 (Ref:1599387)   #17
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think you have to have an overwelming performance advantage for the heavy fuel stratagy to work. I don't think they have that right now. For a heavy stratagy to work they must be able to run very fast laps at the front to gain time. They aren't doing that, they're running in 3rd or 4th in the period between when their competitors have stopped and when they stop.
Old 2 May 2006, 14:21 (Ref:1599395)   #18
Mr V
Veteran

England
See Here also
Old 2 May 2006, 14:27 (Ref:1599400)   #19
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wins = 0

IMO I dont think it has and that is the main reson why the above statistic is what it is. They have the pace to be mixing it with Renault, Honda & Ferrari alot more often than they have achieved so far. We have seen their pace improve in the later stages of the race, Montoya getting 3rd at Imola. But heavy fuel loads are jeopardising their chances of a good grid slot and a hope of being at the front.
Old 2 May 2006, 15:10 (Ref:1599412)   #20
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
It doesn't. It's not working.

a) you can get involved in accidents
b) you cannot overtake

do you need more?
Old 7 May 2006, 13:58 (Ref:1602369)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Another brilliant strategy today, this time on JPM's car. The longest first stint of all time which left him with a woeful grid slot for Nurburgrings tight first section. Got swamped by Fisi and a BMW and that was that, race over.

Message to McLaren: go for grid position a little more aggressively!
Old 7 May 2006, 14:04 (Ref:1602375)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
An odd choice today. According to the ITV build-up three stops was technically the quickest, but only just. Hence making two stops the choice to not risk any traffic. However that surely makes a long fist stint (i.e. half the race!) an odd choice. It isn't the quickest, sacrifices grid position, makes the start risky and doesn't really give you track position if you are going to do a stop stopper anyway. Odd.
Old 7 May 2006, 14:06 (Ref:1602377)   #23
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
Well i couldnt understand what they were aiming to achieve with JPM's strategy..... very very odd
Old 7 May 2006, 14:15 (Ref:1602386)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Getting him ****ed to leave and try another team ?
Old 7 May 2006, 14:17 (Ref:1602388)   #25
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Maybe it was Juan's call?