Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 11 Dec 2006, 10:11 (Ref:1787748)   #26
Point-5
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Point-5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The car is obviously not quick enough but there is more to being a driver than just getting into a car and going quick.

I would guess that Firman was very good at getting a set-up that works, maybe without Firman they are struggling for that technical feedback??
Old 11 Dec 2006, 11:43 (Ref:1787853)   #27
steve28
Rookie

steve28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karting legend
Richard drove very well for Team Ireland ,putting in the 6th fastest lap he would have finished a lot higher only for the bad pit stops just look at the time he lost in pits (A1 pit stop analysis).
It was a drying track so i think its impossible to compare laptimes. but if you did still compare he is still over one second off the pace.
Old 11 Dec 2006, 12:07 (Ref:1787880)   #28
karting legend
Rookie

karting legend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stev the track was the same for all the drivers and the fastest laps by the other cars were at the same time!
Old 11 Dec 2006, 12:31 (Ref:1787906)   #29
karting legend
Rookie

Gio you don't really care about motor racing and more concerned about a flag .Why did people like you accept Ralph Firman who was born & bred in England and whose only claim to the drive lay in the fact that his mother was from Ireland. Richard Lyons was born & bred in Northern Ireland and it shouldn't matter in motorsport which part he comes from. As far as the rules of A1GP go, he is perfectly entitled to the drive. Maybe you should be putting forward a case to the organisers if you feel so strongly. That might affect quite a few teams like Lebanon for instance.It would be better if all sides could come together on this one and think what is best for team ireland . I admire anyone with talent and do not care what flag they wave. Let's leave the politics out of it.
Old 11 Dec 2006, 15:06 (Ref:1788055)   #30
gio
Retired
Rookie

gio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did in my arse agree with Firman driving for us. I had the exact same view on that as I do on this Lyons thing. But at the moment the results are backing up our point, it ain't the drivers that are the problem.

Last year Ireland had a very quick car. We should of had a win or two if the team hadn't of messed up so many pitstops or put the wrong gear ratios in...etc. Some serious hiring and firing needs to be done to give em the kick up the arse they need!
Old 11 Dec 2006, 18:19 (Ref:1788184)   #31
karting legend
Rookie

gio you dont like Lyons/Fireman i see.you would like to hire and fire all round you, so does this mean only southern Irish need apply.
Old 11 Dec 2006, 22:52 (Ref:1788437)   #32
kdempsey
Rookie

Ireland
kdempsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gio
I did in my arse agree with Firman driving for us. I had the exact same view on that as I do on this Lyons thing. But at the moment the results are backing up our point, it ain't the drivers that are the problem.

Last year Ireland had a very quick car. We should of had a win or two if the team hadn't of messed up so many pitstops or put the wrong gear ratios in...etc. Some serious hiring and firing needs to be done to give em the kick up the arse they need!
Gio, are u involved in a1gp in any way as u seem to know alot about a1 team irelands operations???
Old 11 Dec 2006, 23:05 (Ref:1788451)   #33
Kershaw
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin
Kershaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are plenty of young quick guys from Ireland to sit in the car, but 1st it needs to go quick. And so far 3 drivers arent quick in it.
Really, its time for a change. They need to share data with another team.
Old 11 Dec 2006, 23:31 (Ref:1788471)   #34
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Point-5
I would guess that Firman was very good at getting a set-up that works, maybe without Firman they are struggling for that technical feedback??
While I really don't rate Firman, I personally think it would be worthwhile getting him back in the car for a test. Firman tested the original A1GP car so has a lot of miles under his belt. He would at least be able to give a direct comparison between last years car and this years car! I personally don't think that the 3 drivers who have been in the car this year can be as bad as the results show (regardless of whether they are from north or south of Ireland).

Also, the data needs to be looked at in comparison with another (front running) team.
Old 12 Dec 2006, 09:12 (Ref:1788744)   #35
nev
Racer

nev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=karting legend]Gio you don't really care about motor racing and more concerned about a flag .Why did people like you accept Ralph Firman who was born & bred in England and whose only claim to the drive lay in the fact that his mother was from Ireland. Richard Lyons was born & bred in Northern Ireland and it shouldn't matter in motorsport which part he comes from. As far as the rules of A1GP go, he is perfectly entitled to the drive. QUOTE]

Firman actually went for the GB drive last year but lost out, then the next think you hear is Ireland are putting a team together with him as the driver !!
Old 12 Dec 2006, 21:23 (Ref:1789298)   #36
Athgoe Racing
Racer

Athgoe Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who is this guy nev there is only one nev so don't get confused between the two of us by the way i'm Irish Dublin nev. but i still got to agree with him born in the north or south Richard is still Irish he's got red hair i think that give's it away a little.
Old 12 Dec 2006, 22:57 (Ref:1789367)   #37
kdempsey
Rookie

Ireland
kdempsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athgoe Racing
Who is this guy nev there is only one nev so don't get confused between the two of us by the way i'm Irish Dublin nev. but i still got to agree with him born in the north or south Richard is still Irish he's got red hair i think that give's it away a little.
1 Nev is defo enough... lyons, the carrot head has always been very anti irish if thats what u call it??.. at least firman had a shamrock on his helmet..

anyway enough of this the point is that he didn't make any difference to the preformance of the Irish car so it think they should stick to 100% irish drivers Devaney and John..Maby even give u a go Nev...
Old 12 Dec 2006, 23:20 (Ref:1789380)   #38
nev
Racer

nev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdempsey
1 Nev is defo enough... lyons, the carrot head has always been very anti irish if thats what u call it??.. at least firman had a shamrock on his helmet..

anyway enough of this the point is that he didn't make any difference to the preformance of the Irish car so it think they should stick to 100% irish drivers Devaney and John..Maby even give u a go Nev...
Im not Irish, also it would definately br the driver if i was in the cockpit ao bring back firman cos the worse the irish do the better for me

Last edited by Asp; 13 Dec 2006 at 18:56.
Old 13 Dec 2006, 09:59 (Ref:1789681)   #39
karting legend
Rookie

Sticks and stones may break your bones but names will never hurt you, but lap times will. Devaney Zan 1.942off,Czech 3.048off, Beijing 5.455off Sepang 4.003off Lyons Sentol1.307off. Bleekemolen finished5th, but Lyons was up to 7th when he pitted, lost 1min 42sec so you see he could have been easily been top 4
Old 13 Dec 2006, 12:16 (Ref:1789796)   #40
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
folks, can I just remind you that if you have a problem with a post, you attack the post, not the poster.

If you can't respond to a post without calling people names, then either don't respond, or take your handbags at 10 paces discussion to private message.

Thanks.

And now, back to the topic!
Old 13 Dec 2006, 14:00 (Ref:1789877)   #41
steve28
Rookie

steve28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you cant look at the difference in laptime because each track varies! sentul is a small circuit and the times are always extremely close there!

you have to look at the overall performance relative to the other teams! Lyons qualified 18th! devaney has qualified 13th in zand, 18th in brno(chassis probs), 11th beijing, 13th malaysia(and got hit off)!

And lyons would not of finished in the top 4! he was only 7th at pitstops because people had pitted in front of him! the most he could of hoped for is a few points and that would of only been because gb, can, sa, aus and usa all fell off or had probs! look at the sprint race which was completly dry, lyons only managed 17th cos china fell off in front!

lyons did set 6th fastest lap buit when you look at malaysia devaney set the 7th fastest when the whole grid were stil in the race unlike sentul!

The answer to the question at the start of the thread, will lyons make a difference is NO, he didnt! its simple!
Old 13 Dec 2006, 18:23 (Ref:1790006)   #42
daveheavey62
Rookie

daveheavey62 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Totally agree with Steve28.

Any news on whether the team has seen sense and are putting a proper Irish driver back in the car?
Old 13 Dec 2006, 18:25 (Ref:1790008)   #43
karting legend
Rookie

so 1min.42sec in pit would not have made a difference yous have made up your minds any way on this one .I have more things in life to do so i am signing off .
Old 14 Dec 2006, 14:26 (Ref:1790658)   #44
nikimere
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
nikimere should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve28
you cant look at the difference in laptime because each track varies! sentul is a small circuit and the times are always extremely close there!

you have to look at the overall performance relative to the other teams! Lyons qualified 18th! devaney has qualified 13th in zand, 18th in brno(chassis probs), 11th beijing, 13th malaysia(and got hit off)!

And lyons would not of finished in the top 4! he was only 7th at pitstops because people had pitted in front of him! the most he could of hoped for is a few points and that would of only been because gb, can, sa, aus and usa all fell off or had probs! look at the sprint race which was completly dry, lyons only managed 17th cos china fell off in front!

lyons did set 6th fastest lap buit when you look at malaysia devaney set the 7th fastest when the whole grid were stil in the race unlike sentul!

The answer to the question at the start of the thread, will lyons make a difference is NO, he didnt! its simple!
completely agree, well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveheavey62
Any news on whether the team has seen sense and are putting a proper Irish driver back in the car?
i have "heard" there is a big meeting tomorrow.... lets wait and see.
Old 18 Dec 2006, 11:27 (Ref:1793402)   #45
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So any news on the big meeting? Anyone leaving?