Brazilian Round Cancelled

http://www.a1gp.com/News/NewsArticle.aspx?newsId=30276
Discuss
Old 18 Jan 2007, 13:05 (Ref:1818429)   #2
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The excuse they are giving that there is no terrestrial television partner is extraordinary considering particularly the British TV situation.

Also, that means there is only 1 race in the Americas which surely could never have been the intention. Probably much too late to sort something out now too.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 13:07 (Ref:1818430)   #3
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Uh oh, "trouble in River City"?
Old 18 Jan 2007, 14:16 (Ref:1818486)   #4
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery
The excuse they are giving that there is no terrestrial television partner is extraordinary considering particularly the British TV situation.
I thought that until I realised that A1 does have British terrestrial TV coverage on Channel 5. Granted, it's still not terrestrial for me as I'm obviously in a bad reception area, but technically it is!
Old 18 Jan 2007, 14:25 (Ref:1818489)   #5
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp
I thought that until I realised that A1 does have British terrestrial TV coverage on Channel 5. Granted, it's still not terrestrial for me as I'm obviously in a bad reception area, but technically it is!
Not Terrestrial coverage for me either because no-one bothered putting a C5 transmitter in the Channel Islands.

And besides, showing the races at 5.10am or 1.55am isn't exactly prime time either. Ok - they fulfil the criteria of having a terrestrial provider, but no-one watching apart from shift workers and Sky + boxes.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 18:20 (Ref:1818654)   #6
ISPL
Rookie

United Kingdom
ISPL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a joke!

Makes the F1 tyre fiasco in Indianapolis look like a well organised race weekend.

People talk about not being able to organise a party (polite terminology) in a brewery. I don't think it bodes well for the furute of A1GP if they can't organise a race on a race track!
Old 18 Jan 2007, 19:13 (Ref:1818694)   #7
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Well, it's not the first time we've seen problems with A1GP organising races - but at least this one was cancelled in plenty of time.
What is strange though is the reason they give. If that is the only reason, it seems to me to be very shortsighted - how do they intend anyone to buy terrestrial rights if the local race is subject to be cancelled at such short notice. And, surely having a local race and seeing if it's a success or not would encourage people to buy the rights (although, I can see the potential chicken & egg situation in that to make it a success perhaps they need to promotion from terrestrial footage?)

Still, after all the work that even that press release admits has gone into it, it seems to be very strange for them to cancel it on such grounds that, ultimately, have nothing to do with the race itself.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 22:26 (Ref:1818860)   #8
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You should see the ticketing issues for Taupo this weekend!!
Old 19 Jan 2007, 15:45 (Ref:1819470)   #9
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This might sound like a silly thing to suggest, but perhaps the Cable broadcaster in Brazil didn't have "host broadcaster" status.

It would have been down to the Terrestrial TV company to Host the event.
Old 21 Jan 2007, 00:49 (Ref:1820633)   #10
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Ticketing issues? Taupo?
Old 21 Jan 2007, 08:30 (Ref:1820733)   #11
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Giving the showing of the Brazalian car at Taupo I'd think they would be too embarassed to run in front of a Brazalian crowd.Car appears to be devoid of sponsorship,and as Emerson Fittipaldi was in attendance at Taupo they must have considered giving him the drive.
Old 23 Jan 2007, 12:42 (Ref:1822700)   #12
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To remark, is the second time in a row that the A1GP Brazilian round is cancelled.
Old 23 Jan 2007, 13:22 (Ref:1822722)   #13
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What ticketing issues in Taupo? I didn't have any problems.

I guess as they could not find a local broadcaster they had nobody to act as a local camera crew to supply images to the global feed. Mind you in Beijing they did use a Channel 10 crew from Australia so could always have done that again.