Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Sep 2013, 12:49 (Ref:3306160)   #1
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anything can happen in Formula One.

.. As.Murray Walker used to always say...

When has this so called "anything" last happened? I remember the old days (80s 90s and part of the 00s) race drama seemed like the norm. Engine blowout near the end of the race, tire failures or accidents at crucial moments of the race. It seemed like depending who you were cheering for you couldn't breathe easy until the chequered flag.

Reliability seems not to be a factor anymore. I kinda miss the drama on a regular basis. Front running cars these days just don't break down. Even driver errors are slim. Is it me or has nothing really changed?

Anything can happen in Formula One just doesn't seem to work for me anymore.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 13:42 (Ref:3306187)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
didn't "anything" happen at spa in qualifying though?
Old 19 Sep 2013, 14:13 (Ref:3306198)   #3
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Hmmm, let me see....

Madonados many red mist moments and race win.
Hamiltons last corner in Brazil to win the WDC.
Crashgate.
Spygate.
Liegate.
Chewing gum tyres blowing out.
Brawn GP coming out of nowhere and beating everyone.
Michael Schumacher's comeback.
Vettel and Webbers crash.
Multi 21.
Bottas qualifying in 3rd place.
3 of the 4 Marussia's and Caterhams making it through to Q2.
Grosjean's many first lap accidents.
Button's Canadian GP win.

Where have you been?
Old 19 Sep 2013, 14:24 (Ref:3306201)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
F1 is all about having the fastest car not breaking down and putting the fastest error free driver that you can, in that car that doesn't break down.

Next season the engine allocation drops to 5 units per car. You would think that might cause some problems, but you just know those crazy engineers will say that it's not a problem and it's all under control. In other words: Engineers have learnt something from mistakes made in the past, and have improved upon those areas where the mistakes were made.

This season there have been numerous tyre problems to liven up the races. Maybe not to everyones liking, but they did happen to liven up the racing, at times.

As Murray said: "Anything happens in Grand Prix racing, and it usually does."
Old 19 Sep 2013, 14:41 (Ref:3306214)   #5
stuh84
Rookie

stuh84 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
.. As.Murray Walker used to always say...

When has this so called "anything" last happened? I remember the old days (80s 90s and part of the 00s) race drama seemed like the norm. Engine blowout near the end of the race, tire failures or accidents at crucial moments of the race. It seemed like depending who you were cheering for you couldn't breathe easy until the chequered flag.

Reliability seems not to be a factor anymore. I kinda miss the drama on a regular basis. Front running cars these days just don't break down. Even driver errors are slim. Is it me or has nothing really changed?

Anything can happen in Formula One just doesn't seem to work for me anymore.
Lewis Hamilton retired from the lead about 3 or 4 times last year, all from engine failure (apart from getting nerfed by Nico Hulkenberg in Interlagos).

This year it hasn't been as bad, but last year the McLaren was getting to the point of being as fragile as a box of eggs in a hurricane.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 14:46 (Ref:3306215)   #6
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Hulk at Monza was the last case of this "anything," despite it dying down lately. Cars are more reliable and dictate results far more than drivers nowadays, but still the better drivers do pull off some upsets.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 15:01 (Ref:3306221)   #7
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I guess I should have been a little more clear what I was thinking about. I was only referring to race incidents during tense moments (not quali, not politics, etc.). Maybe I am subconsciously hoping for "anything" to happen to the Vettel's Red Bull to liven up the championship....and it probably won't.

Just yearning for something unpredictable is that so wrong??
Old 19 Sep 2013, 15:04 (Ref:3306225)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Anything can happen in Formula One.

I still feel that the very high level of engine, gearbox etc reliability has a big effect. I'm not saying that I want lots of failures, but for some strange reason, I miss them! Particularly when someone is so dominant at the front.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 15:07 (Ref:3306227)   #9
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Just yearning for something unpredictable is that so wrong??
I'm sure Marussia will shock everyone and grab a podium by the end of this season.

EDIT: Don't forget about Vettel's faliure at Silverstone this year.

Last edited by Salamus; 19 Sep 2013 at 15:10. Reason: Forgot to add something.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 15:29 (Ref:3306238)   #10
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I still feel that the very high level of engine, gearbox etc reliability has a big effect. I'm not saying that I want lots of failures, but for some strange reason, I miss them!
This is what happens when you have stable or minimal change regulations for several years.

Next year could see a significant amount of Engine/gearbox/transmission/ERS input failures ... possibly too many that will result in moans about too much change at the same time.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 15:29 (Ref:3306239)   #11
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I think people are becoming so pre-occupied with Vettel's dominance that they miss out on the fact that there has been some fantastic racing and overtakes, not always for the race lead though.

Unlike the good old days of the late 90's and early 00's that some look back on with rose-tinted spc's, when nobody would overtake anyone else on the track all season long.

If Murray was in the commentary box for this years Italian GP, he would have a coronary with the excitement, but it seems like most people hated that race. I think that sometimes we need to go a rewatch some of the old races (not the hilights) to remind ourselves that things were not necessarily better back in the day.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 15:31 (Ref:3306240)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I think that sometimes we need to go a rewatch some of the old races (not the hilights) to remind ourselves that things were not necessarily better back in the day.
'..... it usually does!'
Old 19 Sep 2013, 17:13 (Ref:3306282)   #13
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I still feel that the very high level of engine, gearbox etc reliability has a big effect. I'm not saying that I want lots of failures, but for some strange reason, I miss them! Particularly when someone is so dominant at the front.
Those were my thoughts exactly!

Good point regarding the stable regulations creating bulletproof reliability. Next year should be very interesting when looking at things on paper.

I am not griping about today's action on the track. We are seeing all kinds of passing. Vettel fans are not seeing much of him on tv racing though. I do remember clearly the days when races were won on pit strategy only.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 20:32 (Ref:3306339)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Anything can happen in F1... rules changes.

Here comes 2014.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 21:30 (Ref:3306351)   #15
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I think people are becoming so pre-occupied with Vettel's dominance that they miss out on the fact that there has been some fantastic racing and overtakes, not always for the race lead though.

Unlike the good old days of the late 90's and early 00's that some look back on with rose-tinted spc's, when nobody would overtake anyone else on the track all season long.

If Murray was in the commentary box for this years Italian GP, he would have a coronary with the excitement, but it seems like most people hated that race. I think that sometimes we need to go a rewatch some of the old races (not the hilights) to remind ourselves that things were not necessarily better back in the day.
I can hear people frequently (now) say that the old days weren't always that good but in reality they were. Boring races were not frequent 20-30 years ago (yes I am that old) even if a few were walked away with by some precocious talent (like Stewart at the Nurburgring '68).

I never 'felt' bored because my interest in the sport was intense and everything was interesting to me. That is not the case today and I deplore the efforts to 'spice up the interest through tyre degradation manipulation and DRS. Things that employed technology to replace talent (changing gear, using a foot clutch) irked drivers like Senna and spectators like me and perhaps 1994 was the end of that era... Things were changing and the Ferrari train 2000-2004 didn't help.

Alonso's emergence 2005-2006 was good for the sport but it wasn't what it was and what it has now become is a whole step lower for people like me.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 22:07 (Ref:3306357)   #16
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
I can hear people frequently (now) say that the old days weren't always that good but in reality they were. Boring races were not frequent 20-30 years ago (yes I am that old) even if a few were walked away with by some precocious talent (like Stewart at the Nurburgring '68).

I never 'felt' bored because my interest in the sport was intense and everything was interesting to me. That is not the case today and I deplore the efforts to 'spice up the interest through tyre degradation manipulation and DRS. Things that employed technology to replace talent (changing gear, using a foot clutch) irked drivers like Senna and spectators like me and perhaps 1994 was the end of that era... Things were changing and the Ferrari train 2000-2004 didn't help.

Alonso's emergence 2005-2006 was good for the sport but it wasn't what it was and what it has now become is a whole step lower for people like me.
I think F1 feels like a "step lower" nowadays because we have been greatly exposed to F1 through the media. We know everything about every car and can watch every race on TV or online. We are so used to the sight of F1 that it needs gimmicks to stay interesting.

In the 50s, 60s, and 70s, cars were still a luxury item and media was limited to radio. The fascination of seeing those F1 cars was so high because they were so rare...and so different.

For me, the height of my viewership occurred between 2003-2008 and 2012 because of the competitiveness.

Of course my opinion is excusable since I was born in 1993. Sorry for going off topic.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 22:20 (Ref:3306361)   #17
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post

+1
and yes, things not so good since mid 90's
Old 19 Sep 2013, 23:07 (Ref:3306377)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lots of things changed F1 forever after 1994.
Old 20 Sep 2013, 04:36 (Ref:3306444)   #19
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
I think F1 feels like a "step lower" nowadays because we have been greatly exposed to F1 through the media. We know everything about every car and can watch every race on TV or online. We are so used to the sight of F1 that it needs gimmicks to stay interesting.

In the 50s, 60s, and 70s, cars were still a luxury item and media was limited to radio. The fascination of seeing those F1 cars was so high because they were so rare...and so different.

For me, the height of my viewership occurred between 2003-2008 and 2012 because of the competitiveness.

Of course my opinion is excusable since I was born in 1993. Sorry for going off topic.
I agree with a lot of what you say.
An old adage "Familiarity breeds contempt" is true. Familiarity can work against you and yes, there is a thing such as 'overexposure'. Its how people can get skin cancer, and how a sport can be so 'overexposed' it becomes degraded.
Old 5 Oct 2013, 14:22 (Ref:3313159)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
Don't forget about Vettel's faliure at Silverstone this year.
Definitely not! I replay it after every GP just to cheer me up!
Old 5 Oct 2013, 14:54 (Ref:3313168)   #21
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
F1 has had 13 races up to Singapore. Let's see some statistics:

o- About 12-15 cars out of 22 end on the leader's lap. Some exceptions were Canada (5), Hungary (8), and Britain (18).
o- Vettel won 7 races, Alonso and Rosberg won 2 each, Hamilton and Raikkonen 1 each. (Last season it was 5-4-3-3-2-1-1-1.)
o- About podiums, Vettel got 10, Alonso 8, Raikkonen 7, Hamilton 5, Webber 4, etc. (Last season it was 13-10-7-7-6-4-etc.)

Now let's see IndyCar's statistics in the 16 races up to Baltimore:

o- Except for ovals, typically there were 14 finishers on the leader lap.Exceptions were Baltimore (10), Detroit 2 (12) and Toronto 2 (12). Many races had 18 or more - Alabama had 21 despite only 4 laps on pace car.
o- No driver won more than 3 races. There were 10 different winners from 6 different teams.
o- Podium finishers were 6-5-4-4-3... no less than 18 drivers collected at least a podium, 14 drivers at least two.

So, an IndyCar mid-pack driver can collect wins and several podiums. This means that many fangroups and sponsors can have a happy weekend. Also, casual fans can enjoy unpredictable races.
Old 5 Oct 2013, 14:58 (Ref:3313170)   #22
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Really? Drivers almost always press two buttons and voilá, overtaking completed.
Old 5 Oct 2013, 21:35 (Ref:3313283)   #23
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Really? Drivers almost always press two buttons and voilá, overtaking completed.
Are you purposly forgetting the good non-DRS overtakes and on track battles, or have you not been watching?
Old 5 Oct 2013, 21:43 (Ref:3313290)   #24
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
F1 has had 13 races up to Singapore. Let's see some statistics:

o- About 12-15 cars out of 22 end on the leader's lap. Some exceptions were Canada (5), Hungary (8), and Britain (18).
o- Vettel won 7 races, Alonso and Rosberg won 2 each, Hamilton and Raikkonen 1 each. (Last season it was 5-4-3-3-2-1-1-1.)
o- About podiums, Vettel got 10, Alonso 8, Raikkonen 7, Hamilton 5, Webber 4, etc. (Last season it was 13-10-7-7-6-4-etc.)

Now let's see IndyCar's statistics in the 16 races up to Baltimore:

o- Except for ovals, typically there were 14 finishers on the leader lap.Exceptions were Baltimore (10), Detroit 2 (12) and Toronto 2 (12). Many races had 18 or more - Alabama had 21 despite only 4 laps on pace car.
o- No driver won more than 3 races. There were 10 different winners from 6 different teams.
o- Podium finishers were 6-5-4-4-3... no less than 18 drivers collected at least a podium, 14 drivers at least two.

So, an IndyCar mid-pack driver can collect wins and several podiums. This means that many fangroups and sponsors can have a happy weekend. Also, casual fans can enjoy unpredictable races.
I am not surprised with the Indy stats being a lot closer after all they all use the same car. I wonder how F1 would be if everybodt had Red Bulls?
Old 5 Oct 2013, 21:51 (Ref:3313294)   #25
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Combine F1 & Indycars like they did in the '50s,...I'd be starter to watch that,....Seb any good on ovals?.....