Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 15 Jul 2016, 13:49 (Ref:3658950)   #51
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I didn't realise that Pat Doran owned Monster...
Does it say that?
Old 15 Jul 2016, 13:56 (Ref:3658953)   #52
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzeiTzei View Post
Does it say that?
That was how I read the phrase Doran, whose dad Pat owns Lydden Hill race circuit in Kent, and Monster did not respond to requests for a comment.
Having re-read the article as posted I suppose it could mean that both Pat Doran and Monster (hence the comma) dis not respond to requests etc. But if that's the case, it's pretty shoddy writing in my opinion by someone who is supposed to be a professional.
Old 15 Jul 2016, 15:19 (Ref:3658962)   #53
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I might be well off the mark but my thoughts are Monster may not be to unhappy with this.
Old 15 Jul 2016, 17:28 (Ref:3658967)   #54
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
But if that's the case, it's pretty shoddy writing in my opinion by someone who is supposed to be a professional.
It is The Sun, it's a pretty well written article by their standards!

As said, there are clearly factual errors with the article - the Lambo was part of the Monster group and it was the owner on the roof - but, irrespective of the truth of the article (or the grammar!) it's an article relating to World Rallycross in the mainstream media which, in my opinion, doesn't paint it in a very positive light. For that reason alone it will surely have caught the attention of the powers that be.

Would be nice to see an article from a more reputable media outlet on the incident, so we could perhaps distinguish the facts from the Facebook fiction.

Last edited by tbtstt; 15 Jul 2016 at 17:40.
Old 15 Jul 2016, 17:28 (Ref:3658968)   #55
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie View Post
I might be well off the mark but my thoughts are Monster may not be to unhappy with this.
Because they have a reason to drop him or bad publicity is also publicity?
Old 15 Jul 2016, 21:55 (Ref:3658984)   #56
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I couldn't care less about facts when it comes to this man to be honest.

I have seen the evidence with my own eyes, both at Gatebil on cameraphone and at various events over the years.

It is hardly news. If the people who own Monster think this is great then it is up to you as fans to tell them it isn't

Do you REALLY want a character like this being endorsed by the main sponsor of the championship? If so as a fan you should be ashamed of yourself.
Old 18 Jul 2016, 09:20 (Ref:3659364)   #57
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Well it looks like JRM have had enough:

http://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/ar...tatement-about
Old 18 Jul 2016, 09:27 (Ref:3659367)   #58
J.U.
Racer

Germany
Hamburg
J.U. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post

It's good to see that Liam's behaviour has consequences.
Old 18 Jul 2016, 09:51 (Ref:3659371)   #59
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post

Seems too much of a coincidence not to be connected to the Gatebil incident?
Old 18 Jul 2016, 10:00 (Ref:3659373)   #60
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst it is good to see bad behaviour punished, and always fun to lay into Liam, as has been mentioned above, it is a shame this happened this year, when his behaviour and driving was improving and he had a couple of decent results. I wouldn't have been surprised if this happened last year but this year is at odds with his demeanor on track.
I guess the motto is, don't do drugs, kids...
Old 18 Jul 2016, 11:09 (Ref:3659381)   #61
Hampton Caught
Racer

England
Hampton Caught should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmmm! So JRM have a spare seat in their MINI. I wonder if they're looking for a British driver to replace Liam? If so, Dan Rooke would be the obvious choice to me!

His racing this year and last has been superb. A natural-born racer with a smooth driving style and a very likelable, clean-cut chap he is too. He floated his DS3 Supercar around Masmechelen yesterday in a perfect display of rallycross racing.

The lad could (and should) go far. WRX would be his next step, surely? If it's not this year, it will be interesting to see who JRM put in their car for the rest of the season.

Cheers, Steve
Old 18 Jul 2016, 12:49 (Ref:3659395)   #62
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rooke is a good shout and, as you say, one for the future. Budget permitting of course. Guy Wilks could certainly step in too and has previous with JRM...
Old 18 Jul 2016, 16:30 (Ref:3659428)   #63
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is no excuse sadly, he has plenty of form and has clearly taken not a bit of notice of what the results of his actions are having to the image of the team he was driving for, their sponsors (don't forget that) aswell as his, although monster seem oblivious to that sadly.

I do not think anything he has done this year has any bearing on this, and it should be remembered he was banned for a long time recently, so anything he has done since is not taken into account when you realise the seriousness of what went before. The boy cried wolf long ago on that one.

The only caveat is, this happened away from a full race meeting, so perhaps there is some leeway there for a potential return.

But it appears not much.

Good riddance in my book. He has had hardly any success for a few years now, and let's hope finally some deep drilling down of thought is done and he tried to come back a more mature, civilised person.

Remains to be seen what IMG and WRX make of it, he is a black sheep really there when you compare him to Petter, Ekky, Bakkerud etc. Always nice to have a bad boy around for PR, but maybe the downsides are too much. But his sponsor will be the big decision maker here.

Personally I think he should race in the US, get away from being in Europe and here. Should have done it years ago.

Couldn't really care who gets int he car now, Wilkes if anyone. He deserved it more than Doran anyway and got better results in it in one meeting than he did, and a track totally unsuited to the car!
Old 18 Jul 2016, 18:26 (Ref:3659439)   #64
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be honest dad isn't really much better. I personally would be quite happy if they both walked away from the sport.
Old 18 Jul 2016, 20:30 (Ref:3659466)   #65
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
That was how I read the phrase Doran, whose dad Pat owns Lydden Hill race circuit in Kent, and Monster did not respond to requests for a comment.
Having re-read the article as posted I suppose it could mean that both Pat Doran and Monster (hence the comma) dis not respond to requests etc. But if that's the case, it's pretty shoddy writing in my opinion by someone who is supposed to be a professional.
It means that Liam Doran and Monster didn't respond. If it said that Pat owns Monster then there would be no comma. But that's off topic.
Old 18 Jul 2016, 21:39 (Ref:3659475)   #66
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
End of relationship between JRM and Doran but the latter has still the Monster deal?
Old 18 Jul 2016, 23:19 (Ref:3659483)   #67
Distracted
Racer

United Kingdom
Distracted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's a idiot. He basically has the RX world at his fingertips and he keeps trying to chuck it all away. I do hope he finally learns his lesson and his career recovers. He's a decent driver when he's not playing silly buggers.

I'd like to see Guy Wilkes get the Mini. He's a great driver and a good ambassador for the sport.
Old 19 Jul 2016, 12:34 (Ref:3659576)   #68
Pozi
Racer

Pozi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distracted View Post
He's a idiot. He basically has the RX world at his fingertips and he keeps trying to chuck it all away. I do hope he finally learns his lesson and his career recovers. He's a decent driver when he's not playing silly buggers.
Pretty much sums it up, ironically my 8 year old son who was sitting next to me when the JRM news popped up on Facebook said "oh dear, has Liam done something silly again?".

Sad times when the 8 year old fan can automatically reach that conclusion faster than the 29 year old in charge of his own destiny.
Old 19 Jul 2016, 19:13 (Ref:3659639)   #69
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I said at the start of the year this was make or break for Doran and it seems break.
I have no idea what his issue is perhaps that what money does to you.
Old 20 Jul 2016, 08:15 (Ref:3659727)   #70
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicross424 View Post
I said at the start of the year this was make or break for Doran and it seems break.
I have no idea what his issue is perhaps that what money does to you.
Agreed. Where does he go from here? I know money talks but would any of the 'serious' teams want him in one of their cars next year? Seems unlikely. So is it back to running the car himself? I can't see he has many other options, it's either that or go and do something else.
Old 20 Jul 2016, 11:08 (Ref:3659744)   #71
J.U.
Racer

Germany
Hamburg
J.U. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I would be Liam, I would be afraid to appear at a World RX event again. It has to be difficult when nobody talks to you any longer... And I´m not sure if IMG even wants a guy like him in the series.
Old 20 Jul 2016, 12:27 (Ref:3659758)   #72
Hampton Caught
Racer

England
Hampton Caught should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
Rooke is a good shout and, as you say, one for the future. Budget permitting of course. Guy Wilks could certainly step in too and has previous with JRM...
Yes, good shout and Guy could well be the guy. He has experience with the MINI and his calendar would have the WRX events blocked out already.
No doubt he'd rather be racing than commentating but what about the sponsor/s? He self-sponsored the MINI at Lydden 2 years ago, but the remainder of the WRX season would be hugely expensive.
We'll wait and see!
Cheers, Steve
Old 6 Dec 2016, 08:59 (Ref:3694115)   #73
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Liam is currently asking on Facebook for a mechanic to work on the fleet...

...I have serious garage jealously. I wonder what the third RS200 is for, an entry for Liam in Retro Rallycross, or something else?
Old 6 Dec 2016, 09:32 (Ref:3694118)   #74
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Lol, he goes through spannermen like a fast food restaurant goes through ketchup and napkins!

Hard to find a guy who knows much about those cars.
Old 6 Dec 2016, 16:57 (Ref:3694221)   #75
CS1
Racer

CS1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Liam is currently asking on Facebook for a mechanic to work on the fleet...

...I have serious garage jealously. I wonder what the third RS200 is for, an entry for Liam in Retro Rallycross, or something else?

Obviously Rosie and Dieter are the other two but which is the third car?