Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Dec 2018, 04:47 (Ref:3868450)   #426
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Why the hate,
Why do think?

Because of their REC structure and the event sanctioning fees, Supercars charge $150-200 for a general admission ticket. Outrageous.

No wonder folks would rather attend State events, hillclimbs, historics and the like.
Old 7 Dec 2018, 04:55 (Ref:3868451)   #427
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Remind me how many F4 cars CAMS ordered.
No idea.

Quote:
Ordering and racing is a totally different thing.
That was kind of my point with the whole "Hopefully they all make it to the grid" comment.
Old 7 Dec 2018, 04:56 (Ref:3868452)   #428
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaarg View Post
Surely we have the skillset and manufacturing capability?
Are you sure? There are no local constructors of Formula or LMP cars with the proven expertise in composite monocoques. [ Of course, it would be wonderful if an Australian business matched the capability of the likes of USA's Multimatic, manufacturing carbon racing cars, carbon road going supercars (Ford GT) and the like. ]

You could have a crack, of course (like Formula SAE teams of students do at building carbon tubs), "how hard can it be", but the result is unlikely to be all that efficient or well-designed.

This layup schematic of a Caterham F1 monocoque shows the complexity of a moderately well-designed carbon tub. I guess F3 and F4 cars use a more simple layup.

https://www.f1technical.net/forum/vi...p?f=12&t=26318
Old 7 Dec 2018, 05:07 (Ref:3868456)   #429
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
https://www.motorsport.com/us/openwh...-deal/4308791/

13-car order is a pretty solid start
Who has ordered the cars?

Competitors or the organisers?
Old 7 Dec 2018, 06:04 (Ref:3868464)   #430
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Who has ordered the cars?

Competitors or the organisers?

Organizers. Seemingly on behalf of interested participants if some other things that have been said are correct.
Old 7 Dec 2018, 11:39 (Ref:3868517)   #431
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Are you sure? There are no local constructors of Formula or LMP cars with the proven expertise in composite monocoques. [ Of course, it would be wonderful if an Australian business matched the capability of the likes of USA's Multimatic, manufacturing carbon racing cars, carbon road going supercars (Ford GT) and the like. ]

You could have a crack, of course (like Formula SAE teams of students do at building carbon tubs), "how hard can it be", but the result is unlikely to be all that efficient or well-designed.

This layup schematic of a Caterham F1 monocoque shows the complexity of a moderately well-designed carbon tub. I guess F3 and F4 cars use a more simple layup.

https://www.f1technical.net/forum/vi...p?f=12&t=26318
Ask the blokes who are building carbon 18 footers if there is any expertise in this country.
Old 7 Dec 2018, 23:52 (Ref:3868650)   #432
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Ask the blokes who are building carbon 18 footers if there is any expertise in this country.

And of course the Australian plants that are turning out carbon fibre sections for the JSF and Boeing.
Why this constant cringe about the ability of Australia to develop a build things?
Old 8 Dec 2018, 00:50 (Ref:3868656)   #433
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
And of course the Australian plants that are turning out carbon fibre sections for the JSF and Boeing.
Why this constant cringe about the ability of Australia to develop a build things?
And the carbon fibre wheel being used on hi end sports cars.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 8 Dec 2018, 01:58 (Ref:3868665)   #434
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Anyone ever stop to consider that these companies would likely need some time to set up production before they could actually do it? Time enough to possibly delay the debut of the series?

Combine that with the uncertainty of the series being successful and it doesn't take a genius to think of why the organizers wouldn't jump right into local manufacturing.

I'm not bashing on Aussie manufacturing capability here - I don't have enough knowledge of it(read: Next to none) to make such statements. But under the situation S5000 is currently in, it actually doesn't make sense to contract locally for the parts that will be the same as on the original car. That's something to worry about if the series actually takes off.
Old 8 Dec 2018, 02:15 (Ref:3868666)   #435
Jam3s
Racer

Jam3s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aussie companies are capable and were originally planned to produce all the chassis when the SWIFT tub was being used, however with the switch to a tub requiring a Halo, it was deemed unnecessary to produce them here since the Onroak is still being produced overseas.

The difference is developing a tub from scratch is a very costly process and there was no point in going down that route with uncertainty about the success of the series. Perhaps down the line if the series really kicks off they will consider a home grown tub.
Old 9 Dec 2018, 18:10 (Ref:3868971)   #436
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam3s View Post
the Onroak is still being produced overseas.
The shortened diffusers really are rather small compared to the original. The original diffuser would have performed rather well with the larger rear wing of the S5000 creating a low pressure zone to suck more air out from under the car.

Still seems odd to give up performance on purpose, they just would have need a larger front wing to keep it balanced.

I would have added a gurney/wicker to the original Onroak diffusers too, to further enhance their effectiveness.

Indycar uses such a layout with gurneys on the diffuser:

Old 10 Dec 2018, 13:31 (Ref:3869160)   #437
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe the idea is to have cleaner airflow and less reliance on wings so these things can actually race?
Old 10 Dec 2018, 21:14 (Ref:3869281)   #438
Jam3s
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Maybe the idea is to have cleaner airflow and less reliance on wings so these things can actually race?
Yeah, don't know how many times it needs to be spelled out to people in here that the aero decisions were intentional and chosen to a) keep costs down by utilising an off the shelf front wing and to reduce reliance in aero on an attempt to create cars that don't hold as well to the ground for closer and more exciting racing with cars moving around a lot and needing to be manhandled more.
Old 10 Dec 2018, 23:02 (Ref:3869310)   #439
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Indycars can race just fine! I think they are at a good level of aero for racing on lower-grade road circuits, and would be excellent role model. Indycar generate most of their downforce from the underbody, which works well and allows for good racing and good performance.
Old 10 Dec 2018, 23:51 (Ref:3869315)   #440
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It's been changed before, and then changed back because people didn't like that either...

12 hours is a truly international race so should be with the sportscars as it does. F5000 is an Australian specific series, so does it go in international single seaters or Australian racing? My feeling is it will get talked about here as part of the Supercar package and not in single seaters where no-one else is really very interested.

Bear in mind that British racing is a much bigger thing than Aus and doesn't have it's own section, so you have to accept that this forum deals with a particularly parochial branch of the sport. So I too am content for it to remain here without a forum name change, even though it's not on the face of it entirely logical.

You see, you think we don't think about these things, but we do!
So using that approach - the Aus GT thread comes back in the Australian forum does it?

Also is S5000 part of the Supercar package or is it alone of the Shannon's bill?
Old 11 Dec 2018, 04:40 (Ref:3869336)   #441
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Indycars can race just fine! I think they are at a good level of aero for racing on lower-grade road circuits, and would be excellent role model. Indycar generate most of their downforce from the underbody, which works well and allows for good racing and good performance.

And that kind of aero development costs money.
Old 13 Jan 2019, 04:42 (Ref:3875832)   #442
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 13 Jan 2019, 13:16 (Ref:3875908)   #443
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Well said, "How many series do we currently want" we are struggling for finance and sponsors now. I know we need feeder series but money seems extremely tight ATM
Old 13 Jan 2019, 23:30 (Ref:3876006)   #444
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I don't think the point of F4 is to support the 5 litre cars. Paul probably needs to think a little more broadly - as shown through a number of his more recent media performances.
Old 14 Jan 2019, 02:16 (Ref:3876024)   #445
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
I don't think the point of F4 is to support the 5 litre cars. Paul probably needs to think a little more broadly - as shown through a number of his more recent media performances.
It may not be the point of it, but F4's own PR document sums where the 'alumni' have gone to. Not many have made it down the open wheel path.

(Document is about halfway down on this site: http://www.formula4.com.au/?page_id=4326)
Old 14 Jan 2019, 12:53 (Ref:3876096)   #446
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
He had better go and read up on why F4 was forced on CAMS and a lot of other national sanction organisations by the FIA genius management.

Dear Paul,
It had nothing to do with Super Cars and what are Supercars because we have never heard of them.

Signed
FIA
Old 2 Feb 2019, 22:45 (Ref:3881481)   #447
Jam3s
Racer

It appears that 15 or so cars have been given the green light for production and they're underway on doing so. Still no real news about customers though so they might be taking a punt which will be interesting to watch unfold. I wonder how much of GRM's own money is going into it.
Old 3 Feb 2019, 06:15 (Ref:3881574)   #448
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well we'll see if this series is worth it. I wonder if this series will happen at all to be fair. It's nice though to have a big name in Australia funding the series
Old 4 Feb 2019, 14:17 (Ref:3881878)   #449
Casper
Veteran

Historically open wheelers have always been a flop in Oz, F5000 was the most successful and it only lasted a very short time in retrospect and that was with all the top names apart from a few who raced at the time. Can we expect to see Supercar drivers racing these cars as Goss & Co did back then? I doubt it but live in hope which is probably foolish.
Old 5 Feb 2019, 11:36 (Ref:3882059)   #450
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Historically open wheelers have always been a flop in Oz, F5000 was the most successful and it only lasted a very short time in retrospect and that was with all the top names apart from a few who raced at the time. Can we expect to see Supercar drivers racing these cars as Goss & Co did back then? I doubt it but live in hope which is probably foolish.

Open wheelers (and sports cars) were historically where the big names raced until the late 60's.
Touring cars were something that the big names (Like Goss Davidson Harvey Jones etc) raced as part of thier sponsorship or motor trade connection. It wasn't until the Armstrong 500 that the production based touring car racing started to become a dominant factor in media coverage.
Even then the Tasman series and F5000 dominated the summer seasons with touring cars looked upon as support racing.
Ancient history perhaps but don't twist history please.