Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Feb 2019, 14:41 (Ref:3882097)   #451
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Open wheelers (and sports cars) were historically where the big names raced until the late 60's.
Touring cars were something that the big names (Like Goss Davidson Harvey Jones etc) raced as part of thier sponsorship or motor trade connection. It wasn't until the Armstrong 500 that the production based touring car racing started to become a dominant factor in media coverage.
Even then the Tasman series and F5000 dominated the summer seasons with touring cars looked upon as support racing.
Ancient history perhaps but don't twist history please.
Agreed OT.
Old 6 Feb 2019, 00:43 (Ref:3882166)   #452
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Open wheelers (and sports cars) were historically where the big names raced until the late 60's.
Touring cars were something that the big names (Like Goss Davidson Harvey Jones etc) raced as part of thier sponsorship or motor trade connection. It wasn't until the Armstrong 500 that the production based touring car racing started to become a dominant factor in media coverage.
Even then the Tasman series and F5000 dominated the summer seasons with touring cars looked upon as support racing.
Ancient history perhaps but don't twist history please.
I can't go back beyond the 1960's but take your point that things changed when production racing started. I guess until then most open wheelers in this country were home built but production racing meant that a car could be bought and raced without the hassle. Let me clear up my statement....historically since production car racing was introduced open wheelers have never been a crowd favorite apart from a few short years and I think that occurred because the better known names took part.

To help with the pending series introduction they should round up a few better known drivers from supercars to bolster the interest. I am obviously talking of a purely domestic series, the Tasman series was another thing altogether, cars were imported and in a lot of cases sold and left here for which domestic motorsport benefited. Formula Holden, F3 etc did not blossom to the extent they should have and the club series of FV & FF were at best good program fillers for those who were REALLY into racing and appreciated the nuances of it.
Old 2 Apr 2019, 10:55 (Ref:3894825)   #453
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
GRM Indy tribute livery:
https://autoaction.com.au/2019/04/02...YmRYdLtDwMEJXM

I gotta say the rear wing looks wrong, but otherwise this car, in livery, looks better than either of the original concepts for this class.

Maybe unpopular?
Old 4 Apr 2019, 06:51 (Ref:3895189)   #454
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
GRM Indy tribute livery:
https://autoaction.com.au/2019/04/02...YmRYdLtDwMEJXM

I gotta say the rear wing looks wrong, but otherwise this car, in livery, looks better than either of the original concepts for this class.

Maybe unpopular?
The car & livery looks great

Curious as to why they are claiming the livery to be a tribute to Al Jnr's Indy 500 win though?

The colourscheme looks nothing like Little Al's '92 winner, and everything like Robby Gordon's Valvoline livery from 1995/96, even down to the #5 that Gordon used in those two seasons
Old 4 Apr 2019, 13:55 (Ref:3895259)   #455
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I now I keep harping on it but this series is on a hiding to nothing unless some big names get to drive.
Old 5 Apr 2019, 03:43 (Ref:3895367)   #456
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
14 cars slated for the revised series start in September. Open for a Tasman style series from the get go? https://www.s5000.com.au/new-start-d...Q7u5OSnwt7tMwc
Old 8 Apr 2019, 09:05 (Ref:3896177)   #457
Casper
Veteran

I like his optimism, let's see what happens. Unless he is overrun with starters it will be interesting to see how long it lasts for as the open wheeler categories apart from VF & FF tend to have a short life.
Old 18 Aug 2019, 02:34 (Ref:3923152)   #458
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rubens Barricello lined up to contest the opening round at Sandown.

Will be interesting to see the number on the grid, who is filling the seats and the team ownerships and dynamics.
Ancient warriors like me are hoping for some genuine revival of the Tasman and F5000 days.
Old 28 Aug 2019, 09:26 (Ref:3924472)   #459
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The prototype and the first 4 production S5000s tested at Philip Island with drivers speaking enthusiastically about their performance.
Also note thar Matt Brabham is slated for an outing at Sandown.