Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 2 Aug 2006, 18:27 (Ref:1671273)   #51
nev
Racer

nev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he would have won the first round of A1 as well at Brands if the team had fastened the battery down correctly !!

watching him in renault V6 overtaking 9 drivers on hist first lap then taking, i think , ryan sharp on the last lap for Victory i think he went from 14th or 16th to 1st - good racing

he showed the same racing in A1 when i think he was hit by Scott Speed then on the second race he started last and finished 2nd.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 19:59 (Ref:1671415)   #52
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab
Wow, he won a British F3 race?! I was talking about championships & didn't know Darren had won Jap F3 ...

Having looked up his CV - it only took Manning FOUR years of doing F3 to win a champ!! Kerr won both the Class-B and then the normal F3 championships first time around. Far more impressive - and I think still the only driver ever to win both in consecutive years?
To be fair to Manning, only 1996 and 1999 can be considered to being competitive attempts in Formula 3; for in 1997 his Speedsport entry was not of the most up to date specification and his stint at Promatecme was only because of Minassian's ban. In 1998, budgetry contraints meant that he only competed in selected races. Also, the British Grand Prix support race was at the time an important race to win and in 1999, Manning won both the Macau and Korean F3 races.

That said, I'd agree that Robbie Kerr's F3 accomplishments have been impressive.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 20:31 (Ref:1671457)   #53
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kerrs achievements have been impressive, at Formula 3 level. He really didnt shine in A1 GP last season and Manning did a better job. IMO. Let us not forget that Manning has finished on the podium in both Champcar and the IRL, and has had reasonable sucess finishing 9th overall in his rookie season of the IRL championship. Compared to this Kerr has a relatively poor CV on the International stage. IMO.

Winning Championships and races and finishing on the podium in Formula 3 is one thing, finishing on the podium on the International stage is quite another. Manning has done both.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 23:48 (Ref:1671631)   #54
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Now I’ll sit back and wait for the inevitable "you can't say bad things against Manning or Arden" flaming!
Darren Manning's breath smells like cheese. There bring it on!

Aside from that he hasn't exactly impressed me in his career, but he probably hasn't had the corrent opertunities.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 09:04 (Ref:1671893)   #55
mbathshah
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
mbathshah has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Teams and Drivers

What is really dissapointing is the complete lack of information out there. There are only 2 months to go before the first race and no one really has any clue regarding who will be racing or not.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 10:38 (Ref:1671974)   #56
play mate
Rookie

play mate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The GBR team has been confirmed to appear in Manchester at the sky festival in a weeks time, so i think we could get a big clue as to who is the lead driver then (they might even officially announce it).
Its a shame france aren't appearing, it would have been good to get the series champions there.
The A1 teams need to get their acts together and start giving out information to the fans, we know very little about this coming season!
Old 3 Aug 2006, 10:46 (Ref:1671987)   #57
girl r4cer
Rookie

girl r4cer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd personaly like to see Kerr given another chance in the A1 car, i think he could be in with a strong chance at the title.

I wonder if Lapierre and Premat are returning to defend their title? I think the racing this year will be much closer, i reckon there could be at least four teams in with a chance to win the championship!
Old 3 Aug 2006, 18:17 (Ref:1672364)   #58
Daisy
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Daisy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dams was running the France cars last year right? With Perera in their GP2 car maybe he get's a shot. Although Premat and Lapierre did wel of course, I hope he get's a shot, he's better than he looks in GP2 right now.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 23:27 (Ref:1672683)   #59
Paulm
Rookie

United Kingdom
Ely
Paulm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rob Austin would win in the GB car one of the best drivers about, just had a bit of bad luck.
Old 4 Aug 2006, 04:53 (Ref:1672771)   #60
No 4
Veteran

No 4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by play mate
The GBR team has been confirmed to appear in Manchester at the sky festival in a weeks time, so i think we could get a big clue as to who is the lead driver then (they might even officially announce it).
Its a shame france aren't appearing, it would have been good to get the series champions there.
The A1 teams need to get their acts together and start giving out information to the fans, we know very little about this coming season!
Take it from me, its Manning number 1, Kerr number 2.
Old 6 Aug 2006, 10:02 (Ref:1674731)   #61
play mate
Rookie

Sounds like you have insider information!....
I'm intrigued now, i felt sure it would be Kerr as no.1 after the A1 management got him into Renault world series.

Do you know when will they announce Darren as their driver? wonder why they tested Jarvis too, wonder if it'll just be manning and him, with no Kerr in the team at all? The plot thickens!
Old 7 Aug 2006, 16:58 (Ref:1676764)   #62
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone going by Snetterton tomorrow? Ireland are having a test with John O'Hara, and possibly some others as well.
Old 7 Aug 2006, 21:26 (Ref:1677055)   #63
The Tour
Rookie

England
Croydon
The Tour should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Manning/Kerr/Jarvis is almost certain to be the line up from what I hear.

I interviewed Mike Conway last week to ask him about whether we may see him in A1GP and although he didn't write it off he says it is unlikely due to focusing on GP2 for next year......
Old 8 Aug 2006, 12:20 (Ref:1677567)   #64
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by No 4
Take it from me, its Manning number 1, Kerr number 2.
OK, but who is No 4?
Old 8 Aug 2006, 14:53 (Ref:1677660)   #65
No 4
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCWB
OK, but who is No 4?
Peter Morrow, father of Jamie Morrow, who was incontention for an A1 GBR test drive. No secrets here!!
Old 9 Aug 2006, 20:16 (Ref:1678693)   #66
Clyde P. Puffer
Rookie

Wales
Mold, Wales
Clyde P. Puffer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have heard from people working in A1GP that there is to be a new Friday testing. The teams can only test on Friday morning with a driver who has not raced in an A1 car.

I guess this is what Jarvis will be doing. No. 4 - Has Jamie had a test in the A1 car?

Also.......
Anyone hearing that West Surrey Racing have dropped Team NZ?

Last edited by Clyde P. Puffer; 9 Aug 2006 at 20:20.
Old 9 Aug 2006, 21:05 (Ref:1678731)   #67
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde P. Puffer
Also.......
No

Are there other changes on the teams who are engineering the cars?

Let's make a list with confirmed and rumoured teams/drivers. So far:

Country - Driver 1 - Driver 2 - Team [note: italic is rumour]
Great Britain - Darren Manning - Robbie Kerr - ?
Holland - Jos Verstappen - ? - Racing for Holland
Old 10 Aug 2006, 07:57 (Ref:1679005)   #68
toma
Rookie

France
near Geneva
toma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some news from the A1 Team France : DAMS team will be again the support team, there ares some discussion with Lapierre and Premat to be the drivers but nothing is signed yet.

The first tests will take place at the end of august and the final decision about the drivers should be taken within the 2 next weeks.

Frederic Dor bought the "licence" last year but fot 06/07 season, be's not the owner anymore
Old 10 Aug 2006, 09:23 (Ref:1679074)   #69
play mate
Rookie

From the A1 team GBR website:

"A1 Team GBR will have Robbie Kerr back behind the wheel for Sunday’s street demonstration at Manchester.."

http://greatbritain.a1gp.com/current...ay.php?id=1759

Why isn't Manning doing it if he's going to be team no.1? Surely they'd want to give him as much car time as possible-even if it isnt on a proper race track?

I think my money is still on Kerr to be the No.1 driver, I think team GBR would be unwise (and unfair) to dump him for Manning at this stage.
Old 10 Aug 2006, 12:26 (Ref:1679179)   #70
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde P. Puffer
Yes, apparently New Zealand's car will be run by Super Nova.

Quote:
Originally Posted by play mate
Why isn't Manning doing it if he's going to be team no.1? Surely they'd want to give him as much car time as possible-even if it isnt on a proper race track?
I'd imagine that the Manchester demonstration will have little value in providing experience for Manning due to the fact that track is only 1500m and will not be undertaken at anything like racing speeds. Therefore, I can't really see the demonstration being used to obtain any meaningful information regarding the car.
Old 10 Aug 2006, 20:29 (Ref:1679458)   #71
No 4
Veteran

No. 4 - Has Jamie had a test in the A1 car?

No, as I belive the strategy changed to having 'name' drivers (rather than up and coming talent) in the car, which would suggest Manning will be number 1 and Kerr 2. I don't know where this would leave Jarvis.
Old 10 Aug 2006, 21:11 (Ref:1679496)   #72
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well I think you're making big assumptions No 4 - Kerr is likely to be primary driver simply because he did almost all the driving last year and got all the PR and attention for Team GB in A1.

The fact Kerr is being used for the Manchester demo says it all, I reckon - they'd use it as a chance to get Manning's publicity up pre-season if they intended him to be No 1.

Its logical to use Manning for the first race if Kerr can't do it, but only because he's the only other person to have had an A1 race for team GB. Also Arden are not in the picture putting pressure on the team to get him in.

I'd wager that it'll be Manning 1st race only and then him on standby while Kerr takes over and Jarvis might be given some opportunities to qualify/race and prove himself as the 'up and coming' talent.

I think Manning needs to hope Kerr gets a GP2 drive next year and so has even more calendar conflicts ...
Old 11 Aug 2006, 02:32 (Ref:1679644)   #73
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By the end of last season team NZ were pretty keen to be a part of a two car operation so that they could share data, and felt they could have fought the DAMS teams a lot more often with that benefit.

Anyone know who else SuperNova will be looking after? Off the top of my head cannot remember who they were looking after last year.
Old 11 Aug 2006, 06:43 (Ref:1679710)   #74
No 4
Veteran

Quote:
Well I think you're making big assumptions No 4 - Kerr is likely to be primary driver simply because he did almost all the driving last year and got all the PR and attention for Team GB in A1....

After a relatively disapointing year with Kerr, the money men behind Team GBR want a return on thier cash and see a 'name' driver, i.e. Manning, as the person to deliver this. Being the driver last year, having got all the PR, etc, doesn't come into it. Remember this is motorsport where 99 times out of a 100 money talks.
Old 11 Aug 2006, 08:35 (Ref:1679770)   #75
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently John O'Hara impressed yesterday in a test at Snetterton for team Ireland. Micheal Devaney did the Manchester demonstration but he doesn't seem to have the best budget in the world, mind you if O'Hara did he would probably be driving F3 in Europe not Asia (which is about half the cost).

I guess a few driving lineups like this will be sorted out in the next few weeks leading up to and around the official test on the 30th.