Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 24 Nov 2006, 04:19 (Ref:1773670)   #1
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sepang thread

Driver nominations are in and practice begins shortly. No great surprises in the lineup, good to see Briscoe back though and even better to see Alan van de Merwe nominated as one of SA's drivers - how long has it been since he had a regular ride?

On another note I see A1 have made a few options available to listen/watch the race over the internet on Sunday: http://www.a1gp.com/stream/index.php

edit: I'm a bit late, practice has already started! Germany on top in the first session (results)

Last edited by cos; 24 Nov 2006 at 04:25.
Old 24 Nov 2006, 06:15 (Ref:1773704)   #2
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is a pretty strong entry list. Good to see Neel Jani back these days as well.

Any number of countries could win, makes the prediction competition tricky...

The top four in the first practice are all close, including NZ...wooohhooo!
Old 24 Nov 2006, 11:59 (Ref:1773967)   #3
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
More times available now. Combined rookie sessions results and most importantly the first of the official sessions for the race drivers. Results.

They're slightly misleading, though, because although the session started in dry conditions, it soon began to rain. The top three all set their times before then, which perhaps explains China's performance, although Frankie Cheng does know the circuit. Germany are looking very strong, though.
Old 24 Nov 2006, 12:39 (Ref:1774006)   #4
nev
Racer

nev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
They're slightly misleading, though, because although the session started in dry conditions, it soon began to rain. The top three all set their times before then, which perhaps explains China's performance, although Frankie Cheng does know the circuit. Germany are looking very strong, though.
Also when it went damp the teams went out on older tyres !!
Old 24 Nov 2006, 13:20 (Ref:1774051)   #5
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Once again no sign of the Greece entry. The nominations for the race around the Chinese car park said they were expecting them to return this round, but doesn't look good any more.
Old 24 Nov 2006, 13:47 (Ref:1774070)   #6
cos
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery
Once again no sign of the Greece entry. The nominations for the race around the Chinese car park said they were expecting them to return this round, but doesn't look good any more.
Autosport quotes Mike Earle as being "reasonably confident" Greece will see out the rest of the season despite missing China and Malaysia.
Old 24 Nov 2006, 14:13 (Ref:1774091)   #7
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He is an optimistic guy, that's all
Old 24 Nov 2006, 14:31 (Ref:1774103)   #8
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
...even better to see Alan van de Merwe nominated as one of SA's drivers - how long has it been since he had a regular ride?
I couldn't agree more! It's bugged me for a season and a half that he has not been given a chance.

Apparently he won't get to drive the car until the Rookie session in Sentul - don't ask me why - but he will need all the seat time he can get. As you say, I don't think he's driven much at all for the last couple of years, apart from an occasional test for BAR Honda, as it was then, and the wild ride across the salt flats at a fraction under 400 km/h this summer in the Honda.

He did test the A1GP car at Silverstone, but was only given a couple of short runs as far as I could see.
Old 25 Nov 2006, 10:13 (Ref:1774649)   #9
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Qualifying was interesting. Malaysia clearly put their new tyres on for the wrong sessions, ending up the only ones who set their quickest times in the 3rd and 4th sessions.

France were pretty average, amazing how they have dropped from last year's dominance to midfield.

Neel Jani was impressive - F1 testing obviously hasn't done him too much harm. Good qualifying from Johnny Reid again, why Halliday is usually the #1 driver for NZ is beyond me. Hopefully this time Johnny won't run into Neel Jani at the start!

A big shock for Italy, from winning the last race to 20th.

And when are Ireland ever going to get a break?
Old 25 Nov 2006, 10:57 (Ref:1774667)   #10
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Are France and Switzerland still sharing data, etc.? If so I really don't understand why France did so badly.

Looking at the times you'd have to say only Switz, Ger & NZ (who we know have the top engineer from DAMS last year) and GB are the only ones with the right sort of setup ... big gap back to 5th place after those guys!
Old 25 Nov 2006, 11:34 (Ref:1774681)   #11
Mr Happy
Rookie

Mr Happy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why has nothing been done about the Germany-Ireland incident during the 1st Qulifying segment?

Surely Germany should have a penalty?
Old 25 Nov 2006, 12:11 (Ref:1774690)   #12
nev
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Happy
Why has nothing been done about the Germany-Ireland incident during the 1st Qulifying segment?

considering what penalties have been dished out in the past im suprised nothing has happened, the only thing is, if they did take off thier fastest time they would still be 3rd on the grid !! i think
Old 25 Nov 2006, 12:33 (Ref:1774702)   #13
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab
Are France and Switzerland still sharing data, etc.? If so I really don't understand why France did so badly.

Looking at the times you'd have to say only Switz, Ger & NZ (who we know have the top engineer from DAMS last year) and GB are the only ones with the right sort of setup ... big gap back to 5th place after those guys!
This year it's Switzerland and New Zealand who are sharing data.

Team Germany is the real revelation this year, although I do think Hulkenberg should have been penalised for that segment 1 clash with Ireland.
Old 25 Nov 2006, 12:38 (Ref:1774704)   #14
cos
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Happy

Germany have had their fastest time taken away, but as Nico was so consistent it keeps him 3rd on the grid. SA and Indonesia have also been similarly penalised, meaning SA are down to 11th and Indonesia down to 19th.
Old 25 Nov 2006, 13:38 (Ref:1774734)   #15
outflat
Racer

outflat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

No, it's Germany and New Zealand

Britain/Canada, France/South Africa, Czech Republic/Brazil are some of the other pairings
Old 25 Nov 2006, 13:56 (Ref:1774742)   #16
Kebab
Racer

So who is running Switzerland?
Old 25 Nov 2006, 17:50 (Ref:1774809)   #17
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab
So who is running Switzerland?
I believe the franchise runs itself. When the DAMS agreement come to an end, Max Welti set up a team whose sole activity would be the Swiss A1GP team.
Old 25 Nov 2006, 19:23 (Ref:1774843)   #18
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Good qualifying from Johnny Reid again, why Halliday is usually the #1 driver for NZ is beyond me.
Me too,Reid obviously has some speed,Matt is only a mid fielder it seems.
Old 25 Nov 2006, 19:38 (Ref:1774853)   #19
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting results from qualifying, nice to see GB up there in a good solid 4th postition, hopefully Kerr can improve on that and perhaps make it onto the podium. If what I've been reading over at crash.net is true Jani seems quite confident of getting some good results saying that he is far from the limit of the car at the moment. Lets hope that is true of some of the other teams also...
Old 26 Nov 2006, 08:50 (Ref:1775103)   #20
Christopher
Racer

Australia
Peak Crossing, Queensland.
Christopher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Enjoyable race, Germany and Nico in a class of there own, very talented driver for someone so young. Too bad Ryan Briscoe broke his front spoiler, he could have been dicing up the front.
Old 26 Nov 2006, 09:08 (Ref:1775105)   #21
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
A bit of a strange race where some teams were at times very quick, and at other times very slow. According to a post race interview with Alex Yoong tyre pressures might have had a lot to do with it.

Germany, Britain, USA seemed to have it right, NZ sunk to 8th.
Old 26 Nov 2006, 10:19 (Ref:1775140)   #22
Mr Happy
Rookie

Mr Happy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very impressive race, some incredible drives!

Who would you put as driver of the day??
I feel its between Hulkenberg and Kerr, although there were some other very solid drives today especially from the rookies who kept it on the tarmac, It was good to see Yooung make a come-back towards the end too.

The championship looks really exciting too:
Germany 37
GBR 31
France 24
Malaysia 24
Mexico 24

Its wide open!
Old 26 Nov 2006, 10:58 (Ref:1775165)   #23
nev
Racer

Just a point - not to dampen the germans win to much but are you allowed to bump start a car in the pit lane. Watch this space, other than that he drove great race
Old 26 Nov 2006, 16:13 (Ref:1775314)   #24
Kebab
Racer

Not sure Kerr could've kept up with Germany even if he hadn't been held up and had to pass several cars ... the A1 Web site says something about the Team GB car having a problem that was getting worse throughout the race.

France recovered very well, are they back in business?

I like wet races, allows the real talent to shine through. Exciting stuff.

Feel a bit sorry for Jani, how sick must he have been getting passed by France again?
Old 26 Nov 2006, 22:25 (Ref:1775481)   #25
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by outflat
No, it's Germany and New Zealand
You're quite right, of course. I did know, but for some reason just wrote it down incorrectly. I blame the fact that I was in a mad panic to get on the road to spend the weekend with some friends!