Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 8 Dec 2006, 13:22 (Ref:1785118)   #1
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Round 5, Sentul, Indonesia thread

Blimey, this is starting to look very interesting!

Oli Jarvis was fastest in the Rookie session for Team GBR - times here.

Then France showed a welcome return to form in the first main session - times here. Robbie Kerr was a close second, which was just as well after Oli's performance, but the big surprises were Australia in 3rd with Ryan Briscoe, South Africa (espacially) in 4th with Alan van der Merwe and Czech Republic in 5th with Jaroslav Janis (not Enge this weekend).

Nico Hulkenberg was only 8th for Germany as he is no longer eligible for the rookie sessions. I suspect he will be on the pace come qualifying.

Friday quotes are here. All thanks to pitpass.com. which is really on the ball with A1GP coverage.
Old 8 Dec 2006, 13:29 (Ref:1785130)   #2
nev
Racer

nev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
Blimey, this is starting to look very interesting!

Oli Jarvis was fastest in the Rookie session for Team GBR - times Robbie Kerr was a close second, which was just as well after Oli's performance, .

Just a bit of pro Robbie (i know you all like it )
He was nearly half a second faster than the flying Oli who did confess to pushing it and in second session would have put him 6th ish . Go team GBR. the second session seemed quicker but i think that may have been NO1 driver changes more than track changes.
I think its good to have a second driver to push the other and Oli seems to be doing that.

Last edited by nev; 8 Dec 2006 at 13:33.
Old 8 Dec 2006, 13:57 (Ref:1785154)   #3
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Sadly we don't know the situation in terms of what teams had fresher tyres, etc. in each session so we don't know the true performance.

I suspect Germany are in better shape than they seem to be, for example. Aus and SA may not be as competitive as they seem.

Hopefully GB are holding something back so they can dominate the qualifying and races. (I know, I know -am very optomistic!)
Old 8 Dec 2006, 14:35 (Ref:1785176)   #4
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Shouldn't you put Sentul, Indonesia on the title?
Old 8 Dec 2006, 14:37 (Ref:1785179)   #5
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Whoops, yes! I can't change it now, but if some kind Mod would do so, I would be much obliged. Well spotted!
Old 8 Dec 2006, 23:42 (Ref:1785461)   #6
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What time's qualifying tomorrow? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Last edited by Last2LiftOff; 8 Dec 2006 at 23:46.
Old 9 Dec 2006, 10:22 (Ref:1785767)   #7
Mr Happy
Rookie

Mr Happy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a good qualifying, looks like we have a good battle on our hands for tomorrow. Am i too optimistic to hope that GBR have a bit of luck in their race tomorrow and bring home their 1st win? Fingers crossed, although looking at their past season GBR always seem to have something go wrong just when you start to get hopeful!! It is tantalisingly close though.
Old 9 Dec 2006, 15:35 (Ref:1785887)   #8
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
I do like that qualifying format. It certainly grabs your attention! Results here, for anyone interested, with a report here and quotes from the teams and drivers here.

The races tomorrow should be fascinating as long as there isn't a monsoon downpour to spoil things. They have already decided to bring forward the start time of the Feature race by half an hour for that reason.
Old 10 Dec 2006, 09:51 (Ref:1786629)   #9
Mr Happy
Rookie

Mr Happy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Results:
NZL
GER
FRA

Amazing race (as always) just a shame it always seems to be team GBR with the engine issues.
Old 10 Dec 2006, 10:46 (Ref:1786686)   #10
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I turned on the tv at 7.50, unaware of the apparent 7.30 start. They were showing totally monsoon conditions and the race being stopped for that reason after a few laps behind the SC. Then the feed seemed to skip 40mins, and we were shown another restart in better conditions. Was I watching live coverage, or was that delayed 'live' coverage just so people like me who were not aware of the early start didnt miss anything? Left me a little confused!

Anyway a good race with plenty of exciting action! Shame Robbie spun and stalled, he was on the limit though, it was a case of when and where really.
Old 10 Dec 2006, 12:22 (Ref:1786767)   #11
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Probably stalled due to the missfire - may have spun for the same reason, dunno.

Is that two races they've had engine problems now?
Old 10 Dec 2006, 12:35 (Ref:1786778)   #12
nev
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab
Probably stalled due to the missfire - may have spun for the same reason, dunno.

Is that two races they've had engine problems now?
you could see when his speed was determined by the car and not the track how much he was having to push just to keep up with others.
could have been the missfire but he was right on the edge all race trying to keep speed.
It was cool to see what difference the car setup did to affect the drivers performance, watching Germany pull away leaving Newzeland behind then the roles being reversed.
Old 10 Dec 2006, 15:37 (Ref:1786866)   #13
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
That was amazing stuff. Great drives from Jonny Reid for Team NZ. Just before Taupo, too. Otherwise, I'm almost lost for words, so I will just run through the info.

Sprint race report here and results:

Code:
Pos  Team            Driver            Time
 1.  New Zealand     Jonny Reid        19:41.054  
 2.  Mexico          Salvador Duran    +   0.738
 3.  Great Britain   Robbie Kerr       +   3.463
 4.  USA             Philip Giebler    +   9.080
 5.  Germany         Nico Hulkenberg   +  10.000
 6.  Australia       Ryan Briscoe      +  10.637
 7.  France          Nicolas Lapierre  +  12.003
 8.  Canada          Sean McIntosh     +  14.366
 9.  South Africa    A. van der Merwe  +  15.989
10.  Switzerland     Neel Jani         +  17.633
11.  Italy           Enrico Toccacelo  +  18.901
12.  Malaysia        Alex Yoong        +  23.670
13.  Netherlands     J. Bleekemolen    +  24.148
14.  Indonesia       Ananda Mikola     +  25.978
15.  Brazil          Tuka Rocha        +  36.060  
16.  Czech Republic  Jaroslav Janis    +  36.781
17.  Ireland         Richard Lyons     +  37.195
18.  India           Armaan Ebrahim    +  44.582
19.  Lebanon         Basil Shaaban     +  44.997
20.  Pakistan        Nur Ali           +1:21.691  
21.  China           Ho-Pin Tung       +  4 laps
Feature race report here and amended results here - Netherlands was excluded after the race for having stopped outide the pit stop window.

Post race interviews and comments here.

I'm almost (but not quite) beginning to feel sorry for Robbie Kerr. He dropped a place in the Sprint Race, which was a shame, but then drove very well in the feature race to cope with the misfire, although he was flirting with disaster all the time with his wide, sweeping approach to the corners, often touching the wet white lines and sometimes the grass. We will find out in due course if it was that that caught him out in the end or the engine problem.
Old 10 Dec 2006, 16:40 (Ref:1786897)   #14
nev
Racer

it also seems that he didn't have any power boost all race
Old 11 Dec 2006, 13:39 (Ref:1787989)   #15
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazbaz_99
I turned on the tv at 7.50, unaware of the apparent 7.30 start. They were showing totally monsoon conditions and the race being stopped for that reason after a few laps behind the SC. Then the feed seemed to skip 40mins, and we were shown another restart in better conditions. Was I watching live coverage, or was that delayed 'live' coverage just so people like me who were not aware of the early start didnt miss anything? Left me a little confused!
In a word - Yes! The race was brought forward but Sky didn't move the coverage AFAIK so they got lucky with the red flag and ended up with live coverage they were not expecting to have.
Old 11 Dec 2006, 13:42 (Ref:1787996)   #16
nev
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery
In a word - Yes! The race was brought forward but Sky didn't move the coverage AFAIK so they got lucky with the red flag and ended up with live coverage they were not expecting to have.
I dont understand wy Sky dont show the sprint race live especially when they showed a repeat of the qualifying at 4am
Old 11 Dec 2006, 18:12 (Ref:1788176)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I prefer this format actually, there is no unnecessary padding and waiting around for the feature race.

And given the hopeless format of the sprint race, I can't say I'd be clamouring to see it live anyways.
Old 11 Dec 2006, 21:36 (Ref:1788351)   #18
outflat
Racer

outflat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just scrap the sprint race and have a main race of 80-90 mins.
Old 12 Dec 2006, 04:22 (Ref:1788604)   #19
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Sprint race does seem less exciting than last year. With less points and no prize money the drivers understandably do not seem to want to take many risks. I still want them to keep it though, it is better than only having one race.
Old 12 Dec 2006, 09:05 (Ref:1788733)   #20
nev
Racer

i rekon only rookies should be able to race in the sprint race and then No1 drivers in the second, then it makes it a real team event !!
Old 12 Dec 2006, 09:47 (Ref:1788770)   #21
madmed
Rookie

madmed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the sprint race is like a warm up race for the feature race. it doesn't need to be broadcast.
Old 13 Dec 2006, 06:17 (Ref:1789574)   #22
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like nev's idea actually!
Old 13 Dec 2006, 08:37 (Ref:1789622)   #23
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nah, not enough cars then. if you had 40 or so teams, yeah
Old 15 Dec 2006, 23:59 (Ref:1791833)   #24
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
The should have equal numbers of points for each race, even withthe sprint race having no pit stop, it should carry as many points and prize money can be for the overall result (both races together) because it makes no difference to the spectators anyway, only the teams. The sprint race then becomes a competition for points and the grid place and just as important. Distance should be at least 2/3rds oof the feature race distance.