Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 21 May 2012, 11:26 (Ref:3077215)   #1
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pre-1960 vehicles to be exempt from MoT Test

Just been announced that vehicles manufactured before 1960 will no longer have to have to pass an MoT (effective from 18 November this year):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18146326
Old 21 May 2012, 11:32 (Ref:3077219)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Moved to Classic Cars forum.
Old 21 May 2012, 11:35 (Ref:3077223)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
That's a result for me then.
Old 21 May 2012, 12:12 (Ref:3077238)   #4
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Not sure about this one as it seems like a rust worms charter. Maybe an annual structual condition only would have made more sense IMHO.
Old 21 May 2012, 12:24 (Ref:3077244)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If you consider that a major portion of these cars will have; no windscreen washers, in some cases no windscreen, cable operated drum brakes, no catalytic converter, lights on cycle pods, ash frames etc. then the MOT makes no sense anyway.
Old 21 May 2012, 12:27 (Ref:3077247)   #6
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
This seems like another stupid governmental decision made by someone who hasn't got any grasp of reality, but wants to curry favour on the grounds of 'saving people money'.
Whereas I do accept that the majority of Classic car owners will be enthusiasts, who wouldn't dream of having their car in an un-road-worthy condition, I still think that there will be a minority of motorists attracted to running an old banger on the road because it's cheap. These type of motorists will not spend on anything unless they're forced to, meaning that there will be an additional number of death traps joining us all on the roads.
This is not what I consider as good news...
Old 21 May 2012, 12:45 (Ref:3077254)   #7
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Just been announced that vehicles manufactured before 1960 will no longer have to have to pass an MoT (effective from 18 November this year):
Here it's before 1/1/1980 that are exempt and a €48 yearly Road Tax
Old 21 May 2012, 13:47 (Ref:3077283)   #8
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
This seems like another stupid governmental decision made by someone who hasn't got any grasp of reality, but wants to curry favour on the grounds of 'saving people money'.
Whereas I do accept that the majority of Classic car owners will be enthusiasts, who wouldn't dream of having their car in an un-road-worthy condition, I still think that there will be a minority of motorists attracted to running an old banger on the road because it's cheap. These type of motorists will not spend on anything unless they're forced to, meaning that there will be an additional number of death traps joining us all on the roads.
This is not what I consider as good news...
Really? You really, really think that some irresponsible scrote will be running a pre 1960 car just to avoid MOT? Slow, noisy, expensive on fuel, unreliable, uncomfortable, leaky death traps that will cost far, far more to drive than it will for a 1990s banger to get through an MOT? Plus pre 1960 cars will be much, much more expensive to buy than an old Eurobox/Japbox/w.h.y.

Get a grip! I suspect there needs to be a dose of reality on this forum....
Old 21 May 2012, 14:37 (Ref:3077292)   #9
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Really? You really, really think that some irresponsible scrote will be running a pre 1960 car just to avoid MOT? Slow, noisy, expensive on fuel, unreliable, uncomfortable, leaky death traps that will cost far, far more to drive than it will for a 1990s banger to get through an MOT? Plus pre 1960 cars will be much, much more expensive to buy than an old Eurobox/Japbox/w.h.y.

Get a grip! I suspect there needs to be a dose of reality on this forum....
Sorry to have caused you so much outrage chap!
I am not referring to the likes of you and our fellow posters on this forum, we are all enthusiasts who would ensure that 'our' classics are totally safe. Working as I do in the motor-trade where people are prolonging service intervals etc, and leaving MoT testing until the last minute in a vain bid to save money leads me to believe that some unscupulous individuals may be tempted to offer their aged next door neighbour £50.00 for the rusting Morris Minor in his back garden, so they can drive it around, without the cost of keeping it safe & road-worthy.*
(*This is of course, just my opinion, but one that I am perfectly entitled to have )
Old 21 May 2012, 14:49 (Ref:3077296)   #10
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Working as I do in the motor-trade where people are prolonging service intervals etc, and leaving MoT testing until the last minute in a vain bid to save money leads me to believe that some unscupulous individuals may be tempted to offer their aged next door neighbour £50.00 for the rusting Morris Minor in his back garden, so they can drive it around, without the cost of keeping it safe & road-worthy.*
(*This is of course, just my opinion, but one that I am perfectly entitled to have )
If you read the article properly it does say that all cars still need to be roadworthy, there are plenty of MOTd cars ne and old on the road that are not, the MOT is only a certificate of roadworthyness on the day It's issued. As there are ever increasing VOSA and police roadside check points I don't think you argument holds water as I'm sure these vehicles will be increasngly targeted, not that you see many on the road anyway.
Old 21 May 2012, 15:26 (Ref:3077317)   #11
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
If you read the article properly it does say that all cars still need to be roadworthy, there are plenty of MOTd cars ne and old on the road that are not, the MOT is only a certificate of roadworthyness on the day It's issued. As there are ever increasing VOSA and police roadside check points I don't think you argument holds water as I'm sure these vehicles will be increasngly targeted, not that you see many on the road anyway.
OK, thanks for all your reassurance, I'll stop panicking...
Old 21 May 2012, 16:56 (Ref:3077356)   #12
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Yep. A nice diversion from a boring day for a VOSA inspector or youngish plod-in-a-car.

Plus no easy record of when something was last checked and how many miles it may or may not have travelled since that time.

The potential for aggravation could, and I stress could, be quite high. All to save £40 odd quid a year for half a dozen outings. (Or something like that.)

ETA:

Turns out this is hardly new news.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/news/statements/penning-20111103/

Just the UK falling into line with EU policy ...

Last edited by grantp; 21 May 2012 at 17:13.
Old 21 May 2012, 22:11 (Ref:3077497)   #13
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
There are a fair number of farmers that run about in "TonkaToy" pick up trucks that are registered as farm implements that don't have to have an MOT but are limited as to how far they can travel in a radius of the *registered address.*
The same thing applies in that they are supposed to be kept in a condition for an MOT pass and obviously can be pulled up by the law.
This is all very well but most that I see look like they have done a few laps of a banger circuit with bald tyres and smashed lamps etc.
*By clever addressing ie JOE BLOGGS FARMS KENT PLC you can drive miles !

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 21 May 2012 at 22:16.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 May 2012, 22:48 (Ref:3077519)   #14
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Also by clever registering you can run red diesel on the road legally in trucks and vans. if you talk to most road police they tend not to pull farm vehicles up because the law is a bit "ambiguous" and unless the fuzz are really clued up they don't bother.
OK they are supposed to have limited mileage and such, but how can that be "policed"
Sorry to go off of thread
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 May 2012, 23:04 (Ref:3077527)   #15
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Also by clever registering you can run red diesel on the road legally in trucks and vans. if you talk to most road police they tend not to pull farm vehicles up because the law is a bit "ambiguous" and unless the fuzz are really clued up they don't bother.
OK they are supposed to have limited mileage and such, but how can that be "policed"
Sorry to go off of thread
I've often wondered how it can possibly be economic to run a 4x4 and trailer with 2 sheep in it to a market somewhere miles away, and then back again (presumably with 2 different sheep) and still expect to make a profit with diesel at the price it is.
Old 21 May 2012, 23:58 (Ref:3077555)   #16
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I've often wondered how it can possibly be economic to run a 4x4 and trailer with 2 sheep in it to a market somewhere miles away, and then back again (presumably with 2 different sheep) and still expect to make a profit with diesel at the price it is.
The old customs & "exercise" do have a go when there are farmers markets going on as it's not too difficult for them to get hold of red (or green) and some take the chance.
I don't blame them seeing that we are getting shafted every time we fill up, my Pug estate knocks a hundred quid about when I do !
Old 28 May 2012, 14:34 (Ref:3080616)   #17
wheelsportaddict
Racer

England
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
wheelsportaddict should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Not sure about this one as it seems like a rust worms charter. Maybe an annual structual condition only would have made more sense IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
If you consider that a major portion of these cars will have; no windscreen washers, in some cases no windscreen, cable operated drum brakes, no catalytic converter, lights on cycle pods, ash frames etc. then the MOT makes no sense anyway.
Surely that means that some sort of testing should still be used? Removing the need for pre-1960 vehicles to undergo an MOT would surely lead to some very dangerous vehicles being on the road - just look at some of the vehicles on the roads in America where an MOT style test is not required.
Old 28 May 2012, 17:59 (Ref:3080715)   #18
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsportaddict View Post
Surely that means that some sort of testing should still be used? Removing the need for pre-1960 vehicles to undergo an MOT would surely lead to some very dangerous vehicles being on the road - just look at some of the vehicles on the roads in America where an MOT style test is not required.
...and for balance just look to mainland Europe where no test pre-1960 has been the rule for a while now, with no evidence of the problem you describe
Old 28 May 2012, 19:57 (Ref:3080767)   #19
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsportaddict View Post
That's more of a state by state thing here, when I lived in Virginia they got to the point of pulling over cars not running headlights in the rain to reinforce the importance of correct functioning of your car. Plus you have to go through annual inspections plus emissions usually, private garages in VA but most NE states have state-run offices you go to. And most states have a scale based on the age of the car, you don't have to hit modern standards in your classic car just the standard of the year your car was built. Now here in Georgia, that's another story; been behind cars on a CROWDED 6 lane road that have zero functioning rear lights. When a little Civic has no lights and jumps on the brakes the 30k lb truck I'm driving has no chance and I've about crapped myself more than a few times in the morning, wakes ya up better than coffee. While they may not be pre-1960 cars but the number of 1980s and 90s cars that wouldn't meet most states inspections that are on the roads here would blow your mind and make you fear driving. Also makes you wonder why the 1000s of sound, wheels or stick-on 'performance' parts but no work on any of the running gear or lights??
Old 29 May 2012, 01:30 (Ref:3080894)   #20
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

One of the things that has often puzzled me is how many cut-and-shut cars must be around and still gettting through MOT tests (presumably) somehow.

I recall following a Citroen Saxo or Pug 106 (didn't pay much attention to which snce they are the same. ) 2 very young lads in it. Oldish car but not too tatty. Lowered of course. And crabbing for Britain. Front and rear axle alignment must have been at least 6 inches out.

Then you see the photos of the aftermath of a fatal accident where a small car has, apparently, been driven so badly that having hit something like a wall or a street sign the thing has split into two parts, often right down the middle with the roof attached to one to back or front (never both) and the parts of the car are separated by some distance. The reports often comment on people being thrown from the car , bodies strewn around the scene and so on.

Always the report finds someone who can definitiely state that the car was speeding before the accident and of course the thing being spread down the road clearly confirms that. Except maybe it doesn't. If the thing is a bodged repair, sold to a lad who, if insured, will be paying maybe 5 times more per annum for the insurance that he paid for the car, the chances are that it's a cut-and-shut. Maybe the accident could be attributed to that too, at least in part.

But the press never seems to pick up in that potential and one very rarely hears anything about dangerous vehicles these days, though there must be many more of those about and clocking up miles than there are badly checked pre-1960 classics.
Old 31 May 2012, 23:14 (Ref:3082949)   #21
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Anyway this isn't "cut n dried" as my mate found out on an MOT refresher course last week, it's still a proposal at the moment !
Old 1 Jun 2012, 05:07 (Ref:3083016)   #22
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
According to the VOSA updates I get it is a done deal
Old 2 Jun 2012, 14:46 (Ref:3083784)   #23
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Listening to a minister on the radio a couple of weeks ago, the reasoning was quite simple. Pre 1960 cars make up 0.6% of cars on our roads but are only involved in 0.03% of accidents. Make what you will of that statistic but the implication is that owners of pre 1960 cars are a lot more careful with their vehicles, and how they use them, so can be trusted to keep them roadworthy.
Old 7 Jul 2012, 07:58 (Ref:3103161)   #24
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I can see a few Thames Traders ending up with "New Rage Travellers" because of this, as it includes commercials
Old 13 Jul 2012, 21:12 (Ref:3106161)   #25
ROGER JORDAN
Rookie

United Kingdom
NORTH DEVON
ROGER JORDAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
It`s called subsidies !!