Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 29 Aug 2013, 06:05 (Ref:3295516)   #1
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8 SuperTourers Round 4 (Taupo) - Pics/Results/Rumour

So - are anyone else among us making the trip to Taupo for the SuperTourers this weekend?

Me and four other photogs are all driving down in the wee hours of Saturday morning. Should be a good weekend.

Apparently the weekend temperature high is a toasty warm 12 degrees. Bloody yay

Murph surely has the sprint championship in the bag. Has anyone done the maths to figure out how low he has to finish to lose it from here?

I'll try and post updates and pics as the weekend progresses, although apparently the internet at the track is shocking.

A few new liveries have been applied in the V8CC for this weekend - Nigel Karl and Jack Kofoed's pair of Falcons, which now both look quite schmick Particularly the rear-wing end-plates on Kofoed's car...

Will keep tabs on what the crowds look like and any tid-bits of info heard here and there.
Old 29 Aug 2013, 07:26 (Ref:3295532)   #2
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep agree with you HP Jacks new livery will make his car the best looker for sure. I'll try to catch up with you on sunday as I have a favour to ask of you that involves your camera skills.
We are heading down satdee night and staying in a motel in prep for Sundays action. I have never seen any racing at taupo before so me n the missus are looking forward to it.
Murph to take the sprint title for sure unless something major goes wrong with the car. If he does win it will be his first tin top title from what I can tell.
Good call too on starting a round thread.
See ya sunday bro
Old 29 Aug 2013, 07:43 (Ref:3295541)   #3
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Yep agree with you HP Jacks new livery will make his car the best looker for sure. I'll try to catch up with you on sunday as I have a favour to ask of you that involves your camera skills.
Better not be anything dirty.

I've.....seen things
Old 29 Aug 2013, 09:37 (Ref:3295591)   #4
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haha. I've seen 'things' to, but don't worry, all above board. Naturally....
Just had another look at the end plates of Kofoeds Falcon too, they do look nice I must say, as do the front guards and bumper.....wink wink

Last edited by NZSTfan; 29 Aug 2013 at 09:42.
Old 29 Aug 2013, 11:12 (Ref:3295647)   #5
GHOGH
Racer

GHOGH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scott M had a chat with Darcy on Radio Sport today.
Made a few points on the V8SC versus ST etc. 15.00 to 16.00, 29/8
http://www.radiosport.co.nz/listen-o.../weekondemand/
Old 30 Aug 2013, 04:55 (Ref:3296001)   #6
adbutler
Racer

New Zealand
Waikuku Beach, Canterbury, NZ
adbutler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anybody know if the elusive Hyundai is going to be on display? Really want to see what this thing looks like.
Old 30 Aug 2013, 06:14 (Ref:3296022)   #7
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbutler View Post
Anybody know if the elusive Hyundai is going to be on display? Really want to see what this thing looks like.

Sorry to have to disappoint anybody, however, the long awaited launch of my I45 is still "dragging the chain" but we will have it finished in time for the last round of the Enduro's at Pukekohe, and hopefully we can find a suitable team that is in a position to run it, even if it's only a one off race meeting for the car.

Mark Petch.
Old 30 Aug 2013, 10:05 (Ref:3296100)   #8
adbutler
Racer

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Sorry to have to disappoint anybody, however, the long awaited launch of my I45 is still "dragging the chain" but we will have it finished in time for the last round of the Enduro's at Pukekohe, and hopefully we can find a suitable team that is in a position to run it, even if it's only a one off race meeting for the car.

Mark Petch.
Cheers for the update Mark. Can't wait to see how it looks.
Old 31 Aug 2013, 06:25 (Ref:3296473)   #9
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any news as to why the McLennan M2 car isn't present?
Old 31 Aug 2013, 07:59 (Ref:3296481)   #10
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post
Any news as to why the McLennan M2 car isn't present?

Fair question, but I doubt you will get a straight answer on this one even from me, after all this is a public forum.

Have to say the cars have got even faster since they were last at Taupo, Scott Mclaughlin's time was just outstanding, a low i.28 on a cold day, he should walk the weekend on that performance. Murph struggled in the 2nd qualifying session for race 2 as did SVG, so should be a thrilling race day tomorrow.

Old 31 Aug 2013, 19:33 (Ref:3296700)   #11
Point2
Rookie

Point2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few new liveries have been applied in the V8CC for this weekend - Nigel Karl and Jack Kofoed's pair of Falcons, which now both look quite schmick Particularly the rear-wing end-plates on Kofoed's car...

Yes it looks great. Very happy with how our branding was displayed.
Hope they got issues sorted overnight and will e back into it today
Old 1 Sep 2013, 05:36 (Ref:3296973)   #12
adbutler
Racer

New Zealand
Sounds like an interesting days racing. I caught bits and pieces of the racing on the live streaming and it looked like there was some good racing. Hopefully someone who was there can fill us in on all the goss.
Old 1 Sep 2013, 12:12 (Ref:3297043)   #13
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Sounds like an interesting days racing. I caught bits and pieces of the racing on the live streaming and it looked like there was some good racing. Hopefully someone who was there can fill us in on all the goss.
Just got home from Taupo. Bloody fantastic weekend for me - love the Taupo facility. Enjoyed shooting for M3 Racing, who were very accommodating. And that final race was just nutty. I suspect there's a number of stories that might not be explained fully until the show is aired in a week's time.

Will get some of my pics up tomorrow My Murph podium-pic has been viewed by nearly 3000 people on Facebook so far which is pretty good going. For now, I'm pooped.
Old 1 Sep 2013, 21:10 (Ref:3297495)   #14
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Pics. Some Saturday stuff first.

Old 1 Sep 2013, 23:44 (Ref:3297562)   #15
adbutler
Racer

New Zealand
Cheers for the pics. Eddie Bells car looks fantastic. Did they get a decent number along to watch?
Old 2 Sep 2013, 05:59 (Ref:3297641)   #16
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:

Hi ad,
What I can tell you is that Andre Heimgartner set a new V8ST lap record of 1.29.1 seconds, some 1.8 seconds quicker than the previous V8ST lap record, now that is fast in any bodies language.

Old 2 Sep 2013, 06:44 (Ref:3297656)   #17
Blackpearl
Racer

Blackpearl is a back marker
Quote:
Hi ad,
What I can tell you is that Andre Heimgartner set a new V8ST lap record of 1.29.1 seconds, some 1.8 seconds quicker than the previous V8ST lap record, now that is fast in any bodies language.

What no mention of him running a different spark plug not a control one and his muppet rub on scott. You talk it up like gloss and it aint that.
Old 2 Sep 2013, 06:46 (Ref:3297658)   #18
Blackpearl
Racer

Quote:
Hi there was some good racing, most of the incidents were caused by the current v8supercar drivers or past...murph.
Old 2 Sep 2013, 09:23 (Ref:3297714)   #19
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl View Post
What no mention of him running a different spark plug not a control one and his muppet rub on scott. You talk it up like gloss and it aint that.

BP, please re-read my post I am talking about the category and the cars, not Andre, he merely happened to record the fastest lap ever laid down by a V8 Supertourer.

In my opinion both Heimgartner and Pederson should have started from the back of the grid, absolutely no excuse for their cars being fitted with non standard spark plugs, but as you well know not my problem anymore.

Old 2 Sep 2013, 09:33 (Ref:3297716)   #20
Blackpearl
Racer

Quote:
BP, please re-read my post I am talking about the category and the cars, not Andre, he merely happened to record the fastest lap ever laid down by a V8 Supertourer.

In my opinion both Heimgartner and Pederson should have started from the back of the grid, absolutely no excuse for their cars being fitted with non standard spark plugs, but as you well know not my problem anymore.

I agree, control part etc, yes but jmac can still run his splitter with the rubbing blocks that you allowed.
Old 2 Sep 2013, 10:16 (Ref:3297722)   #21
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
I agree, control part etc, yes but jmac can still run his splitter with the rubbing blocks that you allowed.

And so can everybody else if they wish, because its legal to use rubbing blocks, changing the spark plugs to The Nippon Denso Iridium plug provides an increase in horsepower of approximately 7 BHP and is 100% not legal.
Old 2 Sep 2013, 20:59 (Ref:3298057)   #22
JamesK
Racer

JamesK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And so can everybody else if they wish, because its legal to use rubbing blocks, changing the spark plugs to The Nippon Denso Iridium plug provides an increase in horsepower of approximately 7 BHP and is 100% not legal.
There has never been any rule published that allows rubbing blocks in the splitter. Like a lot of other rules in this class they came via word of mouth.The illegality of rubbing blocks was confirmed just recently by V8ST. Apparently someone gave JMac written permission to modify his so he is now allowed to continue with his. No one else is allowed to modify theirs.
Such is the rules / tech standard of V8ST.

Mark, I re-read your earlier post, can find nothing regarding the category and the cars at all, all I see is Andre
"What I can tell you is that Andre Heimgartner set a new V8ST lap record of 1.29.1 seconds, some 1.8 seconds quicker than the previous V8ST lap record," unfortunately you failed to mention in that statement using illegal spark plugs.
You can understand BP's comments
Old 2 Sep 2013, 21:02 (Ref:3298061)   #23
BackSeat Driver
Racer

BackSeat Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Add to the list:

Tinted tail lights
Tinted windows
Roll center adjustor missing
Crank case vac sensors missing
Oil system plumbing not standard.

(not all on the same cars but extracted from V8ST Tech News 26)

Rules are rules . . . what makes people think they can change things?

Regarding the Rubbing blocks I would like to know where it says you can use them?

My understanding:

Rubbing Blocks on Front Splitter – rubbing blocks are not allowed, however these were previously approved in writing for this team only. They will not be permitted in the future. The team will be permitted to continue to use the 2 already modified splitters but not be able to modify any more.

(extract from V8ST Tech News 26)

Front splitters are Carbon Fibre and I have heard of some heavily damaged splitters being repaired. Therefore one would assume that these "two" splitters will live on forever.
Old 2 Sep 2013, 22:08 (Ref:3298093)   #24
JamesK
Racer

JamesK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I have been told there was other teams, not just Andre that had illegal plugs. Anyone ?

Also from what I have been advised the rules do not specify the type of plug, just that it has to run with the plug supplied with the engine.
If this is the extent of the rules for the control engine you could imagine what teams could dream up that came with their engine.
Well done teams, going to kill this class.
Old 2 Sep 2013, 22:11 (Ref:3298096)   #25
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What no mention of xxx running a different spark plug not a control one...

Quote:
I agree, control part etc, yes but xxx can still run his splitter with the rubbing blocks that you allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backseat driver View Post
Add to the list:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backseat driver View Post
Tinted tail lights
Tinted windows
Roll center adjustor missing
Crank case vac sensors missing
Oil system plumbing not standard.
(not all on the same cars but extracted from V8ST Tech News 26)
Rules are rules . . . what makes people think they can change things?

Sorry guys but if this is the case then it is just utter utter BS!!! And the kind of thing that will possibly kill the category or at least make it undesireable to compete in

And I don’t care who the drivers are but I totally agree that rules should be rules. To be fair tinted tail lights are purely cosmetic, but everything else listed here has some advantage, even if its small. And in a category that is supposed to be so strictly controlled (even down to a controlled seat!) then this defeats the whole purpose of the way the class was set up….

Quote:
… he merely happened to record the fastest lap ever laid down by a V8 Supertourer...

Quote:
… changing the spark plugs to The Nippon Denso Iridium plug provides an increase in horsepower of approximately 7 BHP and is 100% not legal.

Yes but why should a new fastest lap-time count if he has an extra 7bhp over some others??

Quote:
…In my opinion both xxx & xxx should have started from the back of the grid, absolutely no excuse for their cars being fitted with non standard spark plugs….

IMO they should have simply been excluded from the races. Surely the rules are clear enough to state what is & isn’t allowed. If you are only allowed XYZ spark plugs and they use ABC, then disqualification. If the rules don’t cover spark plugs then good on them for finding 7bhp, but change the rules to allow everyone to compete on an even playing field (by either letting everyone run them, or no-one run them) . All these teams are spending serious amounts of money and if anyone is getting away with blatent cheating (and I cant find another word for it) then the category needs to come down hard on it & stamp it out ASAP...