Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 8 Nov 2011, 22:54 (Ref:2983322)   #126
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a thought, but perhaps the land-owner is required to provide some kind of insurance cover if his land is being used, even if that use is free or a token contribution. If that's the case, why should the land-owner foot the bill?

It's possible that lot of the problems lie with rules, regs and legislation. Those incur costs - admin, insurance, time etc. Someone has to pay for it all, and in most cases it's going to be the end user.

Mid 80s. FFord hits another FFord left in gravel trap. Driver injured. Driver sues. Driver wins (partly). MSA and circuits get smart that they are liable. Insurance costs keep on rising...... bye bye sensible world of club motorsport. Simplistic view? Definitely. True? Maybe......
Old 9 Nov 2011, 12:43 (Ref:2983551)   #127
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I dont think many here object to the £35 a meeting insurance thats not the issue. The issue is that entries are falling across the board, we need to make entering races easier and more cost effective and one way as has been discussed is to drop the requirementt o belong to all these clubs and registering for all the different championships. Maybe if some of the clubs got smart and got their heads together like BARC, CSCC. HSCC, CTCRC and had a single membership covering all championships that you may want to enter and all have a slice of the fee may work.
Old 9 Nov 2011, 19:02 (Ref:2983657)   #128
historic racer
Rookie

historic racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
I dont think many here object to the £35 a meeting insurance thats not the issue. The issue is that entries are falling across the board, we need to make entering races easier and more cost effective and one way as has been discussed is to drop the requirementt o belong to all these clubs and registering for all the different championships. Maybe if some of the clubs got smart and got their heads together like BARC, CSCC. HSCC, CTCRC and had a single membership covering all championships that you may want to enter and all have a slice of the fee may work.
I cannot see the clubs getting together all they seem interested in is squeezing the last penny out of competitors. They make you chose a series which suits you the best as an overall package and then charge you so much for registration that you cannot afford to register anywhere else. Even if you ,do not/cannot, afford to travel to far flung circuits you still pay the same. I did suggest that registration fee is devided by the number of meetings and that is added to the entry fee, but was told that they need this cash injection at the start of the year. Running similar series to similar regs would help but again keep it a closed shop and you keep the competitor restricted to just your series. As for next year I will wait and see the cost of entry's before deciding what I do particually as I run a car for another driver and therefore pay all the costs. If necessary I will reduce the number of meetings and taking it to the extreme would have to question wether I pull out completely and leave racing to its own devices. Working on the basis that racing needs me more than I need racing !!!
Old 9 Nov 2011, 19:24 (Ref:2983665)   #129
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wilkinson View Post
...Driver sues. Driver wins (partly)....
you can tell I'm old-fashioned, I read that as
Driver sues... driver wins (PARTY)
Old 13 Nov 2011, 20:42 (Ref:2985818)   #130
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Well there were some depleted fields even here in Daytona so its not just the UK, lets hope this thing isnt on the way out altogether but its not looking that healthy is it?
Old 15 Nov 2011, 15:06 (Ref:2986740)   #131
AndyV
Racer

England
Somerset, where the cider apples grow
AndyV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I’ve been considering giving up because it is too expensive for a family man living in a 2 bed terrace, but not sure I can go through with it as have some great racing friends who I’d miss terribly.

One of the straws that is straining the camels back is registration fees that get less value the less races you do, the other is safety belt dating but best not wind that mangle again, besides I have 1 year left on mine.

I’ve managed to keep racing the last couple of years, but the car gets no new bits anymore and if something breaks it is fixed with the previously discarded spares dragged from the back of the garage. However it was still running at the end of this season with life left in the tyres and belts, so the very optimistic plan for next year is:

1. Enter next years CSCC Castle Combe weekend as it is only down the road. If I only do one CSCC swinging 60s race am hopeful I can waive the registration fee \

2. Do the Jigsaw All Triumph race at Mallory as it is a one-off annual race, straight entry fee no registration required (as club racing should be).

3. Look at the Castle Combe program to see what other classic races they have to see if I can get into the invitation class, I’ve managed to get entries into the Thoroughbreds doing this before.

4. Have a scout around for another one-off type races, MGCC’s 4hr Birkett copy perhaps.

5. Pray the car holds together.

Four events should just about keep the fix going, next year when belts need replacing and tyres will need renewing is an entirely different story

Andy
Old 15 Nov 2011, 19:05 (Ref:2986833)   #132
IAN #51
Racer

England
WALSALL WEST MIDS
IAN #51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andy glad you have reconsidered you did seem very serious about knocking it on the head at when I saw you at Mallory!

As somebody in a similar situation to yourself who uses overtime to pay for racing things are getting harder and tighter !

i work in utilities and our overtime rates have gone with everything being paid at normal time which means I've lost a lot of extra income and I'm aware of so many people in the same situation

Andy the offer of coming to play in the RAFMSA Series ( a nominal membership fee that wouldn't buy breakfast at Brands) still stands I know it's the Historics that are your thing but if you fancy it let me know you will be more than welcome and there is a Midget you can play with ( the car that is)

Ian
Old 16 Nov 2011, 10:09 (Ref:2987143)   #133
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV View Post
Well I’ve been considering giving up because it is too expensive for a family man living in a 2 bed terrace, but not sure I can go through with it as have some great racing friends who I’d miss terribly.

One of the straws that is straining the camels back is registration fees that get less value the less races you do....... so the very optimistic plan for next year is:

1. Enter next years CSCC Castle Combe weekend as it is only down the road. If I only do one CSCC swinging 60s race am hopeful I can waive the registration fee \

Andy

If you ask at the CSCC Office, I think that the club allow one "taster" race without needing to register a car for the season. That applies to everyone & to all races, with the exception of Spa.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 10:21 (Ref:2987147)   #134
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
OK what about another suggestion around all this registration thing, a simple extra tenner a race entry on none registered drivers and have done. Also no championship points that way it means the committed guys dont have their championship spoiled by interlopers. If you pay your dues and register then interlope away and get yer points.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 13:20 (Ref:2987217)   #135
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
OK what about another suggestion around all this registration thing, a simple extra tenner a race entry on none registered drivers and have done. Also no championship points that way it means the committed guys dont have their championship spoiled by interlopers. If you pay your dues and register then interlope away and get yer points.

Sounds an eminently sensible idea, Al........obviously far too sensible to be adopted........Think you'd have to specify that you only garner points after you've registered - ie no retrospective registration to pinch points off previously registered contenders.

Of course if the series isn't a championship (like CSCC events) then there aren't any points at issue....but I still think this could work, if you pitched the "per event" fees at a level that didn't disadvantage those who pay up-front... So for (say) CSCC which has a registration fee of £95 for 9 domestic races, the per-event fee might need to be say £20 per event (if retaining the existing one free "taster"), or maybe £20 for the first event with £15 per each subsequent race.....
Old 16 Nov 2011, 21:14 (Ref:2987423)   #136
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Its got to help. CTCRC do a weekender membership but think restricted to three races, I may raise the issue at the forthcoming AGM