Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 28 Dec 2016, 11:47 (Ref:3698797)   #2701
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Question, with said DAB radio, would I be able to listen to normal Beeb stations outside UK?
I've just answered my own question- UK stations not available outside the country. Curses!
Old 28 Dec 2016, 12:44 (Ref:3698802)   #2702
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I've just answered my own question- UK stations not available outside the country. Curses!
But if you set up your laptop/tablet in the right way, you can then use that avenue. Just need to make the Auntie believe that you are in the UK.
Old 28 Dec 2016, 12:52 (Ref:3698804)   #2703
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
But if you set up your laptop/tablet in the right way, you can then use that avenue. Just need to make the Auntie believe that you are in the UK.
Yes, I understand that can be done! Only prob is that would be using data allowance if can't get wi-fi. Very few race circuits have free connection, most have latched on to it being another revenue stream.......
Old 29 Dec 2016, 08:30 (Ref:3698935)   #2704
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm on 3 and I get inclusive international data allowance on my business phone plan. I thought at first it would be a cover for excessive charges, but no when Mini MM and I got back dom Zandvoort last year our phone bills were normal, so it's a genuine perk.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 29 Dec 2016, 08:44 (Ref:3698938)   #2705
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I have EE on my tablet. It is free for use in the EU but outside of that you need to pay a daily usage fee. Needless to say I don't bother.

For watching BBC Iplayer I need a VPN of which there are many. They cost very little per annum but they do provide security for things such as on line banking etc. as well as the ability to convince the beeb that you are in the UK. I am a licence payer so I don't feel guilty.

Another means of watching live TV around the world is FilmOn tv. I don't know what the funding is but apart from stuff like the Olympics when the BBC was off line, you can watch all of the UK TV free to air channels live (not Sky or Virgin).

Then there's Amazon Prime.
Old 30 Dec 2016, 08:45 (Ref:3699077)   #2706
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Another means of watching live TV around the world is FilmOn tv. I don't know what the funding is but apart from stuff like the Olympics when the BBC was off line, you can watch all of the UK TV free to air channels live (not Sky or Virgin).

Film on TV is OK on a small screen in SD for free but they want you to pay to receive HD if you want it on a huge screen via your laptop.
I have tried just about everyway of getting decent streams and programs from around the world over the years via VPNs and even resort to using different audio and video for certain programs.
I refuse to pay to watch anything on TV (but do have a TV licence) and will play about for ages to get over it, even top films in HD are possible !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 30 Dec 2016, 09:45 (Ref:3699081)   #2707
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Well that was an entertaing bike ride in . Ended up walking couple of miles . Very very slippery .Mrs Delta sorts all this phone stuff out . If I had my way would rather go back to pigeons .Still grumpy .
Old 30 Dec 2016, 10:39 (Ref:3699087)   #2708
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
attach]48851[/attac
Above is Martin " Delta engineer" project for his son Aston now finished and tested. Working1/4 scale of his Stock car.We had a good old fashioned sing writer in yesterday.Looks and goes fantastic.
Attached Thumbnails
Aston Stock car finnished Dec 2016.jpg  
Old 30 Dec 2016, 10:41 (Ref:3699088)   #2709
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I'm on 3 and I get inclusive international data allowance on my business phone plan. I thought at first it would be a cover for excessive charges, but no when Mini MM and I got back dom Zandvoort last year our phone bills were normal, so it's a genuine perk.

I'm on 3 and Vodo depending which fone. But if you're a cheapskate like moi and are sim only / payg / minimum usage, your data allowance doesn't go very far....
Old 30 Dec 2016, 10:59 (Ref:3699090)   #2710
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Film on TV is OK on a small screen in SD for free but they want you to pay to receive HD if you want it on a huge screen via your laptop.
Through the minix you are right but if you chromecast the quality is much better. And you don't get the constant crashing. That said I normally wouldn't know the difference between SD and HD they both appear the same to me. But I watched the Hobbit the other day and the picture was very detailed. Possibly to do with the 48fps as well.
Old 30 Dec 2016, 15:35 (Ref:3699141)   #2711
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suspect Mike has some time on his hands today!

(Lots of 10-Tenths updates)
Old 30 Dec 2016, 15:42 (Ref:3699143)   #2712
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
I suspect Mike has some time on his hands today!

(Lots of 10-Tenths updates)
So bloody miserable outside. Walked at least 3 miles and spent an hour in gym this morn, so don't feel guilty....

We'll have to bump some threads up when I've finished...
Old 30 Dec 2016, 19:37 (Ref:3699189)   #2713
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
At Reading game v Fulham . Just hope the fog lifts
Old 30 Dec 2016, 19:51 (Ref:3699191)   #2714
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Interesting read in this week's Autosport. They've dreamed up their 'ideal' club meeting. Includes a couple of CSCC grids and and HSCC HFF. Worth a look if anyone gets the chance. I don't subscribe to the mag anymore, but recently decided to take out a subscription to an app that gives me access to hundreds of digital weekly and monthly titles on up to 5 'devices'. £7.99 a month, can be cancelled any time. Odd titles not available like Octane, and haven't found Motorsport, but cycling, flying, railway, boat mags etc etc....... Works superb on iPad. Anyone interested pm me- I can get a free month trial for you, apparently, and a free month for myself as a reward.....
Old 30 Dec 2016, 20:14 (Ref:3699195)   #2715
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
At Reading game v Fulham . Just hope the fog lifts
Reading v Fulham - wouldn't it look better if the fog gets thicker?
Old 30 Dec 2016, 20:56 (Ref:3699203)   #2716
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Reading v Fulham - wouldn't it look better if the fog gets thicker?
Ouch!

Now if it were the Canaries playing (on their current form) rather than Reading, you could have had a point....
Old 30 Dec 2016, 21:34 (Ref:3699205)   #2717
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Result . Well for me . Just before half time I said to Delta son Stewart that we should make a get away . Lots of moaning from him but we escaped and got home to hear that the ref called the game . Now having beens on toast feeling very smug as a few minutes later we would still be in the car park .
Old 31 Dec 2016, 08:25 (Ref:3699272)   #2718
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Last post of the year . Me and Mike finished three Spa 6 hours on the Trott . This year P32 . We have raced in the wind , torential rain , thunder and lightning been zapped by GT 40 's coming out of nowhere . Survived all this and still not a reward from her majesty. Yet some bloke waving a bat about for a couple of hours gets a Knighthood. W T F . Happy New Year .
Old 31 Dec 2016, 08:38 (Ref:3699273)   #2719
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A healthy and happy new year to everyone especially that happy little nephew of mine.
Old 31 Dec 2016, 08:42 (Ref:3699274)   #2720
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Soddit. On my way to the last test of the year and the fan belt on the van has shredded. Sat alongside the road waiting for Green Flag to locate a replacement, but very quick attention from them. Makes my Caravan Club membership worthwhile, used them twice now in 2016. Here's to 2017, and many happy miles to you all both racing and travelling.

Old 31 Dec 2016, 12:25 (Ref:3699293)   #2721
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
attach]48851[/attac
Above is Martin " Delta engineer" project for his son Aston now finished and tested. Working1/4 scale of his Stock car.We had a good old fashioned sing writer in yesterday.Looks and goes fantastic.
That does look absolutely brilliant. Well done Martin and anyone else involved.
Old 31 Dec 2016, 12:34 (Ref:3699295)   #2722
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Soddit. On my way to the last test of the year and the fan belt on the van has shredded. Sat alongside the road waiting for Green Flag to locate a replacement, but very quick attention from them. Makes my Caravan Club membership worthwhile, used them twice now in 2016. Here's to 2017, and many happy miles to you all both racing and travelling.

"Back in the day" I used to carry a spare belt most of the time, though of course things only went wrong when any spares were not in their usual location.

There were rumours about the use of lady's tights and stockings being handy but I was never convinced that such stories were more the a ruse for having a "fan belt failure" when out on a date.

Either that or, perhaps for a few young men, a reasonable sounding excuse for why packs of stockings could be found in their cars.

Then there was wide duct tape "for fixing split hose".

Well, what else would one use it for?
Old 31 Dec 2016, 14:01 (Ref:3699299)   #2723
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Appropriate time to wish all tenthers- posters or readers, historic or not, A Very Happy New Year.

Thinking back, 2016 brought two particular highlights for me-
1st, racing with Zef in Le Mans Classic thanks to the generosity of another tenther, and then with Zef being able to collect the Plateau 2 trophies and a watch on his behalf afterwards!
2nd, racing Gilbert Gilbern in the Spa 6hrs again with Iain. Just the two of us, plus Delta junior Stewart to provide youthful enthusiasm and hold the heavy pit board out most of the time! Marcus Pye suggesting P5 out of 37 in our category was 'the performance of the class' in one of his magazine race reports was icing on the cake.

Here's to all of us having a highlight or two in 2017!
Old 31 Dec 2016, 15:54 (Ref:3699313)   #2724
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Yep Happy New Year . I agree with Mike although we were both quietly disappointed not to get into the twenties for Spa 6 hour . For sure driving at Le Mans was a liftime time ambition fullfield . Personally the high light moment was when I was directed to the P1 position at Zandvoort in the pit lane .. I thought I had finished second which was very nice but I had won the race by 23/1000 of a second . Be safe and be healthy every one .
Old 31 Dec 2016, 17:42 (Ref:3699354)   #2725
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Last post of the year . Me and Mike finished three Spa 6 hours on the Trott . This year P32 . We have raced in the wind , torential rain , thunder and lightning been zapped by GT 40 's coming out of nowhere . Survived all this and still not a reward from her majesty. Yet some bloke waving a bat about for a couple of hours gets a Knighthood. W T F . Happy New Year .
Agreed and WTF has Mrs Beckham ever done to receive one ?

Anyway all the best to all tenthers I'll raise a glass at 11pm British time tonight. The Spanish always give away loads of Cava on new years eve along with the customary 12 grapes. Cheers
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Closed Thread