Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 6 Nov 2007, 08:59 (Ref:2060902)   #1
racingnut
Rookie

China
China
racingnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sequential gearbox

hi, I understand that in WTCC , both Sadev,Hewland and Xtrac sequential gearbox are used by various teams, do anyone know if there is any difference between these gearboxes in terms of performance and realibaility ? my team wants to build a FWD race car with sequential box so I'm doing the research here...thanks for the help.
Old 6 Nov 2007, 21:15 (Ref:2061522)   #2
Tony C
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Tony C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In some cases it is due to having a previous working relationship with that company. Some teams want 'special' parts that are not available to others. Generally all the manufacturers produce a good product, it you tested each one for drag resistance etc they would be similar. In your case it can come down to how much you want to spend.

From my experience of working with lower budget teams I prefer a box that is cheap to buy, cheap for spares, but most important is the time it takes to do a ratio change. Gears do break, dogs get damaged and you may need to change them in a hurry.
Old 6 Nov 2007, 23:25 (Ref:2061648)   #3
racingnut
Rookie

China
China
thanks for the reply. I guess most of the racing gearbox are desinged to be able to do quick change of gear ratios... yes, cost is a upmost concern as we are a private team with very limited factory support. The other consideration would be the choice of ratios , technical support and stock level for parts, so any past experience on dealing with these brands would be great help to us. Thanks again.
Old 6 Nov 2007, 23:40 (Ref:2061660)   #4
Tony C
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Tony C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You really need to look into what is a 'quick change'. Holinger gearboxes are very slow compared to an X-Trac. both very good boxes but very different in the detail. Might even be worth asking the companies to show you a ratio change to see if there are any selectors that get in the way or tricky clips that need to be removed (that could slow you down). These are just issues that I have encountered. Good Luck
Old 10 Nov 2007, 02:07 (Ref:2064111)   #5
racingnut
Rookie

China
China
it seems that Sadev is cheaper than Hewland, would "you got what you pay" apply here ?
Old 1 Dec 2007, 00:00 (Ref:2079088)   #6
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
talk to them all, if they want to sell you something they will help you a lot!
Sadev is french??! ewww British is best!!!!
hewlands are easy, 20mins easy peasy.
im sure the reps will give u a feel for who is best to buy tho, being in china? whoever is most helpful id go for them.