Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 12 Oct 2010, 00:26 (Ref:2773508)   #1
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Double File Restarts

With NASCAR proving over the past two years that double file restarts on road courses can be done, should this be implemented in V8 Supercar racing?
Old 12 Oct 2010, 01:18 (Ref:2773524)   #2
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I dont know if they have proved it, it seems to me that on road course, we often end up with an incident that causes another safety car
Old 12 Oct 2010, 01:34 (Ref:2773526)   #3
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
With NASCAR proving over the past two years that double file restarts on road courses can be done, should this be implemented in V8 Supercar racing?
To serve what end/purpose?

Oh, and we don't have road courses
Old 12 Oct 2010, 01:42 (Ref:2773528)   #4
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'm in 2 minds about this, as a double file restart will bunch the field up even more than a single file restart, and lead to potential passing (ie action) on the track, however on the other side, this could lead to more potential "entertainment" cars, or at least boring accusations thereof...

i think how it stands presently works well
Old 12 Oct 2010, 04:12 (Ref:2773563)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There needs to be a penalty as in F1 for the following car that does not keep pace with the leader at the jump of the restart. There have been situations where the leading car takes off like a jack rabbit on restart, and his teammate in 2nd place looks as if he is asleep.

While its not likely to be team orders dictating this, that it seriously delays the cars in 3rd/4th/5th etc as well suggests that the practice should be discouraged thru penalty.

At Bathurst, having the 1 thru 19 cars on the lead lap, mostly uninterrupted by lapped cars, was brilliant, and added to the spectacle.

Maybe the logical answer could include bringing the lapped cars past the Safety Car in order to reduce the impact of their lack of pace (for whatever reason) from the racing proper.

This is likely more in the interests of entertainment than safety, but you could certainly see at the weekend that having someone like the Stratco car in the wrong place at the wrong time seriously delayed various cars. Not picking on the Stratco car per se, there were others as bad if not worse...
Old 12 Oct 2010, 04:42 (Ref:2773574)   #6
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
To serve what end/purpose?

Oh, and we don't have road courses
Not suggesting "we" have road courses, but a road courses (ie the Glen, Sonoma, Road America, etc) in the US, where the double file restart has been used sucessfully are similar to our race tracks.

The purpose being purely for entertainment. Provide more opportunities for passing. The technical regs are making it increasing difficult to overtake so changing some of the sporting regs might making over taking more common.
Old 12 Oct 2010, 05:58 (Ref:2773596)   #7
Mr Walker
Rookie

Australia
Mr Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
The purpose being purely for entertainment. Provide more opportunities for passing. The technical regs are making it increasing difficult to overtake so changing some of the sporting regs might making over taking more common.
Is 'entertainment' a fair enough reason? Why would you want to penalise the leader any more? Lowndes lost his hard earned 20sec lead on the weekend due to the safety car - is that not enough? Now you want to let someone start alongside him????
Old 12 Oct 2010, 06:28 (Ref:2773605)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As expected, Frosty's car didnt handle the time behind the safety car too well... the tyres changed pressures.. and #5 got blown off at the restart...

Some teams/cars are set up well for this, in knowing how to get the tyres back to temperature, and others do not..
Old 12 Oct 2010, 12:42 (Ref:2773772)   #9
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
There needs to be a penalty as in F1 for the following car that does not keep pace with the leader at the jump of the restart.
Personally, I'd prefer the opposite. Field maintains SC pace until the green light/flag and then they can all race for it, same as for a rolling start only in single file.

I think NASCAR can run side-by-side because the lead driver has to wait for the light and can't just go when he feels like it?
Old 13 Oct 2010, 00:16 (Ref:2774094)   #10
hgmonaro
Racer

hgmonaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Walker View Post
Is 'entertainment' a fair enough reason? Why would you want to penalise the leader any more? Lowndes lost his hard earned 20sec lead on the weekend due to the safety car - is that not enough? Now you want to let someone start alongside him????
my thoughts exactly!

Maybe they should reverse the order too.. that will make for 'entertainment'...
Old 13 Oct 2010, 00:44 (Ref:2774103)   #11
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
I think NASCAR can run side-by-side because the lead driver has to wait for the light and can't just go when he feels like it?
NASCAR have 2 prescribed positions between which the leader must hit the throttle, his choice when between those positions, and the guy beside him can't go until the leader does, and obviously everyoe behind
Old 13 Oct 2010, 11:55 (Ref:2774327)   #12
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks for the clarification, I wasn't quite sure (you can tell, clearly!) So he has some choice but not a free-for-all. I think they also have to maintain speed once the pace car has gone, no sudden braking to 'warm the tyres' immediately followed by setting off like a scalded cat.

I prefer that. Give the leader some credit for being the leader, but give everyone a reasonable chance. I'd also do away with the no-overtaking before the start line rule. If it's good to go, get on with it, then you don't have someone losing heaps of time behind a lapped car waiting for the line before he can pass.
Old 13 Oct 2010, 22:49 (Ref:2774611)   #13
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Thanks for the clarification, I wasn't quite sure (you can tell, clearly!) So he has some choice but not a free-for-all. I think they also have to maintain speed once the pace car has gone, no sudden braking to 'warm the tyres' immediately followed by setting off like a scalded cat.

I prefer that. Give the leader some credit for being the leader, but give everyone a reasonable chance. I'd also do away with the no-overtaking before the start line rule. If it's good to go, get on with it, then you don't have someone losing heaps of time behind a lapped car waiting for the line before he can pass.
yeah they have to maintain the safety car speed, in effect the SC is still trundling down pit lane so they are technically avoiding overtaking it... sort of.

I agree with you that passing before the line should be ok in NASCAR as there is no major corner to negotiate (except a road course - see below), however somewhere like Bathurst, Adelaide, Winton, Homebush to name a few where cars when lined up on the grid almost reach the last corner (or in fact line up around the corner) you will see a free for all into that corner by the tail enders, inevitably bringing out another caution... cautions breed cautions personified.

Perhaps there should be a half way point, if the car in front is suffering mechanically then it should be ok to overtake before the start/finish line