Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 4 Jun 2016, 08:43 (Ref:3647062)   #1476
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Well you see Iain, life is not so bad after all.

Question; Which World Championship Grand Prix had the smallest winning margin, and who were the first two drivers? What was the margin?

Just a taster of what to expect in July.
Oooh! I think I know, but then I also think I might be getting mixed up with the fastest ever Grand Prix lap (in MPH). Looks like I'm going to have to think about this before jumping in with my answer...
Old 4 Jun 2016, 10:35 (Ref:3647088)   #1477
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well you see Iain, life is not so bad after all.

Question; Which World Championship Grand Prix had the smallest winning margin, and who were the first two drivers? What was the margin?

Just a taster of what to expect in July.
Well it was either Peter Gethin beating Ronnie Peterson at Monza in 1971 or the attempted dead heat at Indianapolis in 20?? by Schumacher and Barrichelo.
I know which one I preferred watching.
Old 4 Jun 2016, 11:03 (Ref:3647091)   #1478
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Well it was either Peter Gethin beating Ronnie Peterson at Monza in 1971 or the attempted dead heat at Indianapolis in 20?? by Schumacher and Barrichelo.
I know which one I preferred watching.
The question was to enable Delta to practice his cheating, as he usually does at the barbecue, not for any old hobbledehoy to ruin the whole thing by showing off their knowledge of Formula 1.

Some people!
Old 4 Jun 2016, 17:43 (Ref:3647172)   #1479
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I've just bought Howden Ganley book . We had a long chat at Monaco , I reminded him he still owed me three master cylinders I lent the Tiga F3 team back in the mid 70's . Funny he did not remember that . Had a nice chat and the book is great .
Old 4 Jun 2016, 19:41 (Ref:3647202)   #1480
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd have voted for the Peter Get him results. 8.30 pm here and Cadet parents still arguing the toss with the stewards so I don't know where my drivers came yet! BBQ, red wine, good company. Even quite warm!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 4 Jun 2016, 20:31 (Ref:3647216)   #1481
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Rally car at Abingdon, signed on and scrutineered. Back home for an early 'sunday' roast, now marking up the road book. First run at 09.23.
Old 4 Jun 2016, 21:35 (Ref:3647235)   #1482
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just back from the Stag At Mentmore. 30th wedding anniversary thing. Great food, slightly ****ed. Of to Albania tomorrow.
Old 4 Jun 2016, 21:54 (Ref:3647242)   #1483
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Of to Albania tomorrow.
Is this like an exchange thing, will you be opening a car wash there?
Old 4 Jun 2016, 22:59 (Ref:3647260)   #1484
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I stumbled across this just now. I expect everyone has seen it except me.

Zandvoort regulars should find it especially interesting.

I assume that no one checked dates on helmets and things like that "back in the day". But a helmet, keep it for life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6cm3eWEHM0

Fascinating in its own way.
Old 5 Jun 2016, 06:25 (Ref:3647301)   #1485
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Is this like an exchange thing, will you be opening a car wash there?

We used to have a good one in Ely Tim.Two regular workers and the rest would only be around for a couple of weeks.
Old 5 Jun 2016, 08:36 (Ref:3647326)   #1486
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post

We used to have a good one in Ely Tim.Two regular workers and the rest would only be around for a couple of weeks.
Saying that, we had an excellent one at the end of our road, run and staffed by Albanians, a couple of females with nice arses and cleavage, well worth a tenner for in and out, the car that is, and they did a really good job.
It closed down a few weeks ago as they are building a block of flats there
Old 5 Jun 2016, 09:36 (Ref:3647341)   #1487
Rupertlt1
Racer

Rupertlt1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trying to contact Neil Tolich ref Pau - does anybody have email address? RGDS RLT
Old 5 Jun 2016, 11:27 (Ref:3647357)   #1488
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Saying that, we had an excellent one at the end of our road, run and staffed by Albanians, a couple of females with nice arses and cleavage, well worth a tenner for in and out, the car that is, and they did a really good job.
It closed down a few weeks ago as they are building a block of flats there
How much?

About half that around here I am told.

I really cannot see how they are viable unless just a front for something else.
Old 5 Jun 2016, 16:42 (Ref:3647441)   #1489
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yesterday, a gentleman, a few years older than me, flew back from Venezuela, got up at the crack of dawn, jumped in his historic sports racing car based near London, drove to Snetterton, without support vehicle, competed in the Archie Scott Brown Trophy race, and then drove it back to London in pretty heavy traffic, passing me on the A11. That is 'cool'; that is 'fever'

The man - Chris Mann
The car - 1953 Alfa Romeo Disco Volante

The old days are gone, but just occasionally someone gives us a glimpse of the past. Thank you, Chris

Last edited by John Turner; 6 Jun 2016 at 03:15.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 5 Jun 2016, 17:30 (Ref:3647461)   #1490
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brings back memories John.Pack the B up with two soft cases.Drive to Spa,do two qualifying sessions,Drive to hotel.Drive back to Spa Saturday morning-check car over and replace front pads. Race Sat afternoon and back to Hotel.Sundays FIA (yes,really was) wasnt until four in the afternoon so quick drive to Luxemburg for lunch-back to Spa to get ready etc.Race and then back to hotel.Drive home Monday afternoon.
Yes a bit of a risk,but fun? oh certainly was.
Old 5 Jun 2016, 20:44 (Ref:3647516)   #1491
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The question was to enable Delta to practice his cheating, as he usually does at the barbecue, not for any old hobbledehoy to ruin the whole thing by showing off their knowledge of Formula 1.

Some people!
Sorry sorry sorry. You should have said it was a one horse race.

Hobbledehoy! Sure been called some things in my life but never that.

By the way - which one was it?
Old 5 Jun 2016, 21:28 (Ref:3647524)   #1492
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
The man - Peter Mann
Christopher surely? (Correct, of course, see my post below - JT)

Lovely car.

It's a long way to come for a race - presumably it was just a matter of travel timing?

Great story.

Terence's story as well!

Mind you as far as Spa is concerned I assume that "back in the day" when they tried to close the roads one could have stopped off for a snifter mid race if one had a mind to. Must have been a café open somewhere along the route.

Last edited by John Turner; 6 Jun 2016 at 03:21.
Old 5 Jun 2016, 22:39 (Ref:3647534)   #1493
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Yesterday, a gentleman, a few years older than me, flew back from Venezuela, got up at the crack of dawn, jumped in his historic sports racing car based near London, drove to Snetterton, without support vehicle, competed in the Archie Scott Brown Trophy race, and then drove it back to London in pretty heavy traffic, passing me on the A11. That is 'cool'; that is 'fever'

The man - Chris Mann

The old days are gone, but just occasionally someone gives us a glimpse of the past. Thank you, Chris.

What a man! What a car!

What a story to be able to relate.....

Last edited by John Turner; 6 Jun 2016 at 05:32.
Old 6 Jun 2016, 03:19 (Ref:3647566)   #1494
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Grant, you are right, I was dog tired when I got home last night after long stints at Silverstone and Snetterton this weekend and had been talking during the day to Chris and others about his brother Peter and John Ure's prang at Monaco. Just woke up and suddenly realised my mistake, hence this ridiculously early post. I have edited it.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 6 Jun 2016, 05:30 (Ref:3647581)   #1495
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Chris Mann at Snetterton, yesterday
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0320SSJT.jpg  
Old 6 Jun 2016, 06:47 (Ref:3647591)   #1496
Celia Stevens
Racer

England
Hundon Sudbury
Celia Stevens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCelia Stevens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also met this extraordinary gentleman. Going to take pictures of what I considered the most beautiful car at Snetterton, I asked him about the car. Was told it went shopping to Tescos, was driven to Snetterton and would be driven back. What a lovely man and in the true meaning of the word, a 'gentleman'. I reminded him his race had been called, whereby he hopped in, no fuss, thanked me for seeing him out and set off for the assembly area. If only motor racing was like that now, and thank goodness for people like C. Mann Esquire.
Old 6 Jun 2016, 07:04 (Ref:3647593)   #1497
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Chris is an Alfa nut, and I've been nagging him to get on with his rebuild of another very rare 1950s Alfa. He was responsible for the rebuild of the fantastic 6C 3000 Coupe that appeared at the Revival a few years back driven by Jo Colasacco

https://stevemckelvie.wordpress.com/...le-miglia-car/

Celia, it was great to catch up with you again, yesterday, and to see the wonderful
Warwick GT. I promise that I will continue to explore opportunities to run a fastback race.
Old 6 Jun 2016, 08:12 (Ref:3647609)   #1498
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Good to see Celia was out in the Warwick, and yes, that Alfa is just as lovely!
Old 6 Jun 2016, 08:50 (Ref:3647623)   #1499
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Sorry sorry sorry. You should have said it was a one horse race.

Hobbledehoy! Sure been called some things in my life but never that.

By the way - which one was it?
OK! Hobble ..... Oops! Sorry, Mournfulgints, I should have realised that some would rise to the challenge, besides our Deltoid.

Yes it was Peter Gethin in the BRM beating Ronnie Peterson at Monza in 1971, by 00.010 seconds just ahead of Cevert, Hailwood and Ganley all covered by 0.061 sec.
The fastest race in the current World Championship series was at Monza in
2003 at 247.585kph Gethin's win is still the 5th fastest at 242.615kph.

That's progress for you!

Well done you deserve full marks. Delta goes to the back of the class.
Old 6 Jun 2016, 09:14 (Ref:3647628)   #1500
bauble
Veteran

England
We have heard a lot of sob stories from some of our friends here who essay trips to far away places and face incredible hardships in pursuit of their dreams.
Well they are not alone.

Yesterday I had to leave home at the ridiculously early hour of 8.0am to journey for almost a whole hour, covering FORTY miles to get to an obscure race track somewhere in the wilds of Northamptonshire. I was welcomed by an overcast sky and a chilly wind just to watch a lot of MG's racing around, but only after having to part with a ten pound note for the privilege of borrowing a tabard which, proved little use in the inclement conditions. Around the paddock one has to constantly avoid the attentions of people offering coffee and tea, cake, flapjacks, willy nillly. Why I was even forced into the Paddock Diner and treated to a hot Latte. As you might expect of malign fate the sun burst through the clouds bring intolerably hot and sweltering conditions causing me to strip to shirt sleeves order. After constant socialising with all of the drivers, entrants and wives who were anxious to tell friends that they had "Met Bauble, at Silverstone." I then faced the long slow queue to leave the circuit, and battle with the inevitable light traffic on the dual carriage way before being able to arrive home at the unearthly hour of 6.45pm.

Why do I put myself through these tribulations I ask myself.

Still please, no words of sympathy required I am sure that those hardy types travelling to Spa, Monaco and similar exotic locations have also a tale to tell.

Bauble.