Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 29 Apr 2006, 22:00 (Ref:1597800)   #1
Séamas M.
Racer

Northern Ireland
Lurgan,County Armagh
Séamas M. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kirkistown Fatality - From CoC

Today at Kirkistown we had the first fatality at a 4 wheel event since the mid 1960's. During a race for gearbox karts competitor Mervyn Campbell lost control at Debtors Dip just after the field had received their rolling start signal. When his kart left the track it was launched into a series of rolls and Mervyn was thrown clear. Unfortunately the injuries he received were such that despite the best efforts of the medical and rescue teams and the marshals who attended the scene and accompanied him to the local A&E, he did not survive.

I won't dwell any further on the exact circumstances of the incident but I just wanted to place on record my personal appreciation and thanks to the rescue and medical crews and the marshals, not just for this incident but for the whole of what had been quite an eventful day. As Clerk of the Course one depends on a large team of volunteers to assist in the smooth and safe conduct of race meetings. I am proud to say that I feel that in the BMMC and MRMCI volunteers who come to Kirkistown I have a team of capable and dedicated personnel that I can rely on even in the worst of circumstances like today. I look forward to working with all of you again at the next Kirkistown meeting.

Séamas Mulholland
Clerk of the Course
Old 29 Apr 2006, 22:24 (Ref:1597825)   #2
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very sad news. As always, our thoughts are with everyone concerned with this incident, and our condolences to the friends and family of the competitor.
Old 29 Apr 2006, 23:56 (Ref:1597853)   #3
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Old 30 Apr 2006, 14:39 (Ref:1598161)   #4
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
very sad news
Old 30 Apr 2006, 19:44 (Ref:1598282)   #5
Jennifer_ni
Clears incidents with the POWER OF HER MIND!
Racer

Ireland
Co-Kildare
Jennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As one of the marshals involved i'd like to add my condolences to the family and freinds. Also thanks to everyone for all the support offerd in dealing with this incident.
Old 30 Apr 2006, 19:44 (Ref:1598283)   #6
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
It is indeed very sad news and it was a great shock to everyone involved.

That being said, everything that it was possible to do was done and done extremely well.

The teams involved performed superbly under terrible conditions and that's all that anyone can ask for. Sometimes, all you can do is be there.

Grant and I have always been proud to be Kirkistown marshals. It's a wonderful circuit and you couldn't hope to meet a nicer bunch of people than those who frequent it - organisers, drivers, teams, marshals, spectators - everyone. It always provides excellent racing and a family atmosphere.

Yesterday was a terrible day, but the heart of Kirkistown was shown in the way everyone pulled together, no matter what their role. The vast majority of marshals and organisers waited at the circuit long after racing had been terminated, until the primary response team returned from the hospital. During that time, I lost count of the number of drivers and teams who stopped by just to make sure the marshals were ok, before they left. Offers of assistance for everything from food to accommodation to transportation were made.

No-one had to do that, but it was done because Kirkistown know how to look after their own.

Our sincerest condolences and sympathies go out to the family and friends of Mervyn.
Old 30 Apr 2006, 20:14 (Ref:1598301)   #7
Davie-c
Racer

Scotland
Armadale,Scotland
Davie-c should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad to here this news.On the Granite City Rally yesterday there was also a fatality.One of the competitors also
Old 30 Apr 2006, 23:46 (Ref:1598409)   #8
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
All,

I'll head out on the bank tomorrow, and do my best again. Seems like the only fitting tribute to a fellow member of the fraternity.

My best regards to all involved.
Old 1 May 2006, 11:15 (Ref:1598672)   #9
Colin
Rookie

Northern Ireland
Antrim, N.Ireland
Colin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a regular Kirkistown marshall, who unfortunately missed this weekends meeting due to other committments, I was most saddened to hear of the death of Mervyn Campbell. I offer my condolensces to his family and friends. To my fellow marshalls who I am sure dealt with this in an exemplary manner, I would just like you all to know that we are all thinking of you also and are more than happy to offer you any support you may need through this difficult time.
Old 1 May 2006, 13:05 (Ref:1598745)   #10
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad news indeed.
It was a dark weekend in motorracing then, 2 rallydrivers died in Germany's Sachsenrally as well.
Old 1 May 2006, 15:16 (Ref:1598802)   #11
sf2001
Rookie

United Kingdom
Northern Ireland
sf2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
guys, id like to post this here on behalf of the North of Ireland Karting Association as their website administrator.

A brief, official notice has been made on the website, and an electronic Book of Condolences has been opened.

Click here for the article

I personally know Mervyn, and worked for a number of years with his brother, Keith's, racing team. This is a sad time for karting, and motorsport. I'd like to thank the marshals and medical crews at Kirkistown for their efforts.

Mark Bell
NIKA Webmaster
Old 1 May 2006, 18:05 (Ref:1598892)   #12
Mad Mattie
Rookie

Ireland
Ireland
Mad Mattie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is very Sad News, my thoughts are with everyone concerned with the incident and my sincere sympathy to the family and friends of Mervyn Campbell
Old 1 May 2006, 18:44 (Ref:1598917)   #13
Magnet
Racer

Ireland
Anglesey, North Wales
Magnet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is a sad day whenever someone is killed doing what they love in the world of Motorsport. May I on behalf of our team of marshals here at the Anglesey Circuit offer our condolences to the family and friends of Mervyn Cambell. Our thoughts are also with the Medics, Rescue Crew and Marshal's who dealt with the incident.
Old 1 May 2006, 21:40 (Ref:1599005)   #14
SRPhoto
Veteran

Wales
Wrexham
SRPhoto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very Sad News

BMMC Member since Oct 2001
Marshalled my first Rally on 9th March 2002 (Malcolm Wilson Rally)
Marshalled my first Race on 6th April 2002 (750MC - Oulton Park)
Marshalled my first British F1 GP 18th/20th July 2003