Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 29 Apr 2006, 22:00 (Ref:1598827)   #1
Séamas M.
Racer

Northern Ireland
Lurgan,County Armagh
Séamas M. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kirkistown Fatality - Mervyn Campbell

Today at Kirkistown we had the first fatality at a 4 wheel event since the mid 1960's. During a race for gearbox karts competitor Mervyn Campbell lost control at Debtors Dip just after the field had received their rolling start signal. When his kart left the track it was launched into a series of rolls and Mervyn was thrown clear. Unfortunately the injuries he received were such that despite the best efforts of the medical and rescue teams and the marshals who attended the scene and accompanied him to the local A&E, he did not survive.

I won't dwell any further on the exact circumstances of the incident but I just wanted to place on record my personal appreciation and thanks to the rescue and medical crews and the marshals, not just for this incident but for the whole of what had been quite an eventful day. As Clerk of the Course one depends on a large team of volunteers to assist in the smooth and safe conduct of race meetings. I am proud to say that I feel that in the BMMC and MRMCI volunteers who come to Kirkistown I have a team of capable and dedicated personnel that I can rely on even in the worst of circumstances like today. I look forward to working with all of you again at the next Kirkistown meeting.

Séamas Mulholland
Clerk of the Course
Old 1 May 2006, 15:16 (Ref:1598837)   #2
sf2001
Rookie

United Kingdom
Northern Ireland
sf2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
guys, id like to post this here on behalf of the North of Ireland Karting Association as their website administrator.

A brief, official notice has been made on the website, and an electronic Book of Condolences has been opened.

Click here for the article

I personally know Mervyn, and worked for a number of years with his brother, Keith's, racing team. This is a sad time for karting, and motorsport. I'd like to thank the marshals and medical crews at Kirkistown for their efforts.

Mark Bell
NIKA Webmaster
Old 1 May 2006, 16:39 (Ref:1598853)   #3
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very very sad news Deepest sympathies to everyone involved
Old 1 May 2006, 17:45 (Ref:1598884)   #4
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its a been terribly sad week-end for everyone involved in kart racing in Ireland. On the back of Peter Dearden's terrible accident in Brands Hatch in April last year, another driver to perish behind the wheel of a Superkart is what nobody needed.

My deepest sympathies to Mervyn's wife, family and friends on their awful loss. RIP Mervyn.
Old 1 May 2006, 22:10 (Ref:1599021)   #5
jim69
Racer

jim69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My sympathies go out to Mervyn's family.
As a regular kart Marshal, I also feel for those who attanded the incident, both marshals and the medical team. Respect to you all.
Old 2 May 2006, 00:31 (Ref:1599072)   #6
jjordan
Racer

jjordan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At times like this the community of kart racers feels very small. I did know Mr Campbell, of course, but I think we all feel a loss. My sympathies go out to his family and friends. God speed.
Old 2 May 2006, 20:47 (Ref:1599667)   #7
pts106
Rookie

South Africa
Sarf Effrika
pts106 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad weekend indeed, especially for Mervyn's family who were present at the event. I have already sent my sympathies through a mutual friend, Geoff McBride, editor of Accere8 karting magazine.

My throughts and prayers are with them.

Pierre.

Last edited by pts106; 2 May 2006 at 20:50.