Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 28 Jun 2009, 15:25 (Ref:2492756)   #1
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tour Britannia

Folks,
Been offered loan of a car for the Tour Britannia and given build schedule of the 240Z restoration I've got under go has slipped beyond point of return for 2009 I'm tempted to take up the offer to see how much I enjoy this old rally/tour scene.
However, given it's not something I've been involved with before I'm struggling to get a handle on costs...
Could do with a few pointers if there are any 10-tenthers out there with experience of the event... in particular:
TYRES! Strikes me that given all tyres need to be road legal, you could bang on 1 set for the event, but also given the number of races/potential for rain it seems a regular flipping around of rubber would be needed to be competitive?
What is the norm out there in the Competition section? I could see an arguement for some proper track-day-esque rubber but how this would last thru all the races/stages/ how quick we can get something different on in the wet etc... number of sets used etc?
Support crew: I'm thinking 2 support guys in 1 transit... am I going to get by with that?
Any other costs I might not have thought of?
Cheers for help/advice
Rick
Old 28 Jun 2009, 16:29 (Ref:2492781)   #2
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tyres will be Avon ZZs,possibly you will need two spares,to allow for punctures.As for crew,three will be more than enough. Go and enjoy it,its a great event.
Old 28 Jun 2009, 19:37 (Ref:2492837)   #3
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What kind of car have you been offered?

It is quite tough on a car but a very good event.

I agree that Avons are probably the way to go. Plenty of grip on track, durable and road legal.

Roger
Old 29 Jun 2009, 07:00 (Ref:2493025)   #4
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the responses guys...

As a roundy-roundy type of chap who runs on Pirellis that struggle to last a 40 min race am struggling to get my head around concept of running 5 (?) races over 3 days on 4 tyres plus 2 spares?? Is this really what is done? Even by the boys at the sharp end?
Given this year is just really going to be a suck it and see, no real attempt to be competitive that would def. be the way to go for us I think...
Old 29 Jun 2009, 09:18 (Ref:2493104)   #5
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Certainly watching from outside, I'd say those numbers are about right. Van with car trailer on it, maybe one complete set of spare tyres, tools and a few well chosen spares.

The races do seem to be competitive, yet restrained, as the objective IS to finish...
Old 29 Jun 2009, 09:45 (Ref:2493119)   #6
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Two Races and a few stages and basically two days.No trailer unless you want to annoy the other entrants as they are a total pain to pass on the small lanes.One bloke can act as back up if you are pushed for dosh and the organisers run a trailer at the back to pick up dead cars.As Roger said its hard on cars as are all the Tours but good fun packed into three days.
If you haven't done one have a go.
The ultimate is Tour Auto and if anyone is thinking about doing that TB is a good grounding and understanding of the concept.The Regularity is not as good but I think MSA regs prevent a similar format being used in UK.
Tyres need E Mark for road use and you should abide by this although I notice some push their luck and use race tyres.
Old 29 Jun 2009, 19:13 (Ref:2493486)   #7
Veteran

England
Zurich
Yeah, being Riviera based some of the time the Tour Auto would be tempting, but 240Z's aren't eligible as far as I'm aware and I'm keen to stay loyal to Nissan/Datsun...

Thanks for advice here boys, think I might have been aiming at total overkill in my planning!

Excellent news... now to secure the car I think....

Cheers
Rick
Old 29 Jun 2009, 19:55 (Ref:2493511)   #8
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
If you need anything send a PM as will be in Antibes this week.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 11:04 (Ref:2493843)   #9
Fred Gallagher
Rookie

Fred Gallagher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
....and if you need anything from the organisers we would love to help.

Fred
Old 1 Jul 2009, 07:38 (Ref:2494305)   #10
Veteran

England
Zurich
Cripes, thanks for that guys. As usual 10-tenths the heart of the action.
Need to break open the piggy bank, persuade someone that they really want to sit next to a novice on the rally stages and explain to the missus I'm going MIA for a few days!
Will be back if I have more questions after talking to support crew at Goodwood this weekend.
Cheers
Rick
Old 1 Jul 2009, 15:03 (Ref:2494524)   #11
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickP:Clio51 View Post
Cripes, thanks for that guys. As usual 10-tenths the heart of the action.
Need to break open the piggy bank, persuade someone that they really want to sit next to a novice on the rally stages and explain to the missus I'm going MIA for a few days!
Will be back if I have more questions after talking to support crew at Goodwood this weekend.
Cheers
Rick
Or do as I did last year. Give the wife a few glasses of bubbles, talk her into being your co-driver, get her a suit and helmet and a co-driver's licence.

Then on the first stage when she is wondering what is about to happen, take a good look at the map and disconnect the intercoms. When the light goes green and you floor it and she realises what it is really all about, you don't want to have the intercoms running! I managed to hear mine screaming over 5.3ltrs of chev small block on full chat with very little in the way of silencers!
Old 1 Jul 2009, 19:31 (Ref:2494670)   #12
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
Or do as I did last year. Give the wife a few glasses of bubbles, talk her into being your co-driver, get her a suit and helmet and a co-driver's licence.

Then on the first stage when she is wondering what is about to happen, take a good look at the map and disconnect the intercoms. When the light goes green and you floor it and she realises what it is really all about, you don't want to have the intercoms running! I managed to hear mine screaming over 5.3ltrs of chev small block on full chat with very little in the way of silencers!
hahaha you are a braver man then me.... ;o)
Old 1 Jul 2009, 21:06 (Ref:2494735)   #13
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hey Rick - talk to Stuart!
Old 6 Jul 2009, 15:26 (Ref:2496671)   #14
Veteran

England
Zurich
My missus would be giving me cr*p about going too slow... tad competative... need someone a bit saner!
Will pin Stuart down at the Classic for the full SP then Les, thanks.
Old 7 Jul 2009, 06:58 (Ref:2497039)   #15
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm tempted too.

I acquired a Fiat 128 Berlinetta rally car a few years back and have just finished the restoration. However, I'm not sure what to do with it!

I've done years of circuit racing and I'm struggling to get excited about taking such a low powered car out in roadsports (my original intended destination) so I started looking at these rally/tour events. There are some fantastic events such as the Three Castles, but I fancied something that still has a timing element to it rather than pure regularity. The Britannia really appeals - particularly as I've just found some pictures of Tony Dron in the original Tour of Britain in the same model of car.

I've still got a few teething issues to sort on the car so 2010 is more realistic than 2009 (unless I really get to work!) but I love the format of the event. It is a season of motorsport in one week!

If I do it, it would be without a spares van and trailer. Just a couple of spare wheels, a toolkit and some WD40. Am I naive?

I've downloaded all the paperwork and I'm trying to make sense of Technical Passports, Appendix K and all that stuff.
Old 7 Jul 2009, 07:06 (Ref:2497043)   #16
Fred Gallagher
Rookie

Fred Gallagher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You are the sort of competitor we would love to have more of!

There is no necessity for service crews at all. We will transport your luggage.

I have sent you an email with more details.

Hope you can make it.

Fred
Old 7 Jul 2009, 07:56 (Ref:2497065)   #17
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutly agree Fred.Admittedly,it is reassuring to have a team to back you up but if the car is prepped properly,it is an extra that is seldom needed.I have taken part in two LeJog's,did'nt have any chase teams with us for either.Go ahead and do it,the Tour is no where near as hard on the car as LeJog and you will thoroughly enjoy it.
Old 7 Jul 2009, 12:15 (Ref:2497234)   #18
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Le Jog is a totally different event to Tour Britannia.The TB is a closed stage comp/regularity whereas the Le Jog is a regularity with stages on open to traffic roads ,usually in crap weather,and very dangerous and it is only a matter of time when one of these regularity jobs get a member of the Public hurt.Having done many similar events it is only recently I realised that the local public have so much more reason to be on their local bit of road than some regularity cowboys.I retired from this type of event.
Sure Terry can get one of his mates to do TB in a B,ideal car for a cheap week.
Old 7 Jul 2009, 12:48 (Ref:2497253)   #19
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Le Jog is a totally different event to Tour Britannia.The TB is a closed stage comp/regularity whereas the Le Jog is a regularity with stages on open to traffic roads ,usually in crap weather,and very dangerous and it is only a matter of time when one of these regularity jobs get a member of the Public hurt.Having done many similar events it is only recently I realised that the local public have so much more reason to be on their local bit of road than some regularity cowboys.I retired from this type of event.
Sure Terry can get one of his mates to do TB in a B,ideal car for a cheap week.
I take your points John,but it is a huge amount of fun,most of the TCs are held in the middle of the night so that local traffic is at a minimum,and some of the roads used just happen to be some of my own favorites.
The Buttertubs in the Dales being one of the best roads in the UK that is sometimes used.Makes TB look a doddle.
Old 7 Jul 2009, 20:56 (Ref:2497501)   #20
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

It's dangerous for the other road users.Half asleep rally drivers ,most of whom are not very clever at driving,doing competitive stages and mixing it with joe public who could be on the way to work.Irresponsible,but if it's good fun, so who gives a toss among the wonderful world of open road regularity drivers.Fatalities happen.
Makes the TB look easy as the drivers are awake!
TB is in Dales this year on a link road section so not that different in routing.
Old 9 Jul 2009, 06:53 (Ref:2498124)   #21
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So, John, in the light of your comments, you are clearly supporting the TB format over some of the others; any chance of seeing any of your cars, there? That would be rather good!
Old 10 Jul 2009, 06:04 (Ref:2498790)   #22
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

We are doing Gsteed Rally on closed roads in Switzerland with a 105 Talbot and 904 Porsche followed by T B two days later with 356 2 litr 4 cam Carrera Porsche and RSL 911.
I have given up open road Rallies especially in the Alps .Have done a five day tour in Switzerland/France/Italy for 75th Anniversary of Talbots Alpine Trial win this year covering all main passes, having done them previously in Rallies such as Liege Rome,Rally des Alps etc.It's only now I realise how stupid it is and the danger to the ordinary daily road user who you get stuck behind in timed sections .Not that many rally people agree but I think they lack imagination.The Stelvio on a timed run may be hair raising but it is not very clever for bikes,runners,tourist cars when you are pressing on for a timed stage.I have done it in all directions in both dark and light,On reflection it was stupid.(but we were quick)
Old 10 Jul 2009, 07:18 (Ref:2498807)   #23
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
quit while your ahead, makes perfect sense to me, I think a lot of us have done the same thing in various series in recent years
Old 10 Jul 2009, 09:16 (Ref:2498847)   #24
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yep, any form of competition over open public roads seems pretty daft. So the TB is the way to go and excellent that you are entered, John.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 12:40 (Ref:2498946)   #25
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Second that, John!