Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Mar 2013, 19:19 (Ref:3224599)   #76
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[QUOTE=rogerwills;3224484]Jonathan Palmer replied as follows which I think was good of him to take the time to respond.

Date: Monday, 25 March 2013 11:53
To: Roger Wills
Subject: RE: Salt on Oulton Park

" Roger

You are obviously looking at this just from your perspective - which I can quite understand! "

"Clearly a significant number of people did want to test and accepted the consequences of salt use. I can however fully appreciate that some of the historic fraternity have very valuable cars that they really don't want salt contamination to affect, even though I understand it can be washed off pretty well. ."

Roger,

i, and i,m sure all others reading this are very gratefull to you for posting Jonathan Palmers reply.

I,m not going to critisize his informative reply but i think it is totally wrong for him to use the comments in the above paragraph. It is not just the historic fraternity that have valuable cars, and i wonder how many who did go out knew that it had been salted or are now paying the consequences.

As a doctor he should know of the damage that too much salt can do !!!!!!
Old 25 Mar 2013, 19:31 (Ref:3224603)   #77
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWolfe View Post
The event organiser can take out insurance against that however I suspect it's jolly expensive.
It shouldn't be Jon.

Insurers and re-insurers have been ramping premiums based on the effects of global warming for some time. One of the early effects was the expectation, based on expert predictions made in 2000, that 'snow' was a thingk of the past that people's children would probably never agian see in the UK.

On that basis snow in late March should be considered as a very remote risk one would have thought. Remote risk should equal very low premium.

If that is not the case questions should be asked.

If the assessed risk is high - different questions should be asked of a different group of people.
Old 25 Mar 2013, 19:43 (Ref:3224613)   #78
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting thread, something I've not considered before but then again I've never seen or heard of a circuit being salted even though I have woken up to a snowy Snetterton paddock a few times.

A few people have mentioned washing the cars off to to stop the corosion before it starts. Well that may well be ok for those proffesionally looked after cars but when I get home from a circuit its usually late on a Sunday night. First opportunity for me to wash the car would be the following Saturday and by then the damage would have started. I'm sure most weekend warriors are in the same boat.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 25 Mar 2013, 19:57 (Ref:3224620)   #79
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Er, please take this with a pinch of salt, but ....

I assume kevlar and carbon fibre are relatively salt imprevious? So chassis components of more modern cars may, in many cases, not be adverecely affected by track surface treatments.

Air intakes and engine components may be a different story of course ...

So one might conclude that the extension of the racing year into March and November, in an era when we expect "Climate Change" to be doing unpredictable things in terms of warming or cooling (we are told) might justify the use of alternative materials or protective surfaces in Historic cars too.

That might level a few playing fields and resolve some other issues too.

Benefits all around?
Old 25 Mar 2013, 20:52 (Ref:3224641)   #80
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
More likely the cars will not come out to play, Grant, unless conditions more suited.

Florida is looking very attractive for some reason....
Old 29 Mar 2013, 10:14 (Ref:3226309)   #81
Bosse L
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
Bosse L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Think UK has caught up with you there! Perhaps more spasmodic use though. Good to hear that it is not used on circuits. What is the normal season for racing there?

Certainly a good response from JP and obviously the subject not just swept under the carpet.
Our tarmac season normaly starts up in en of april/erly in may. and last in october.
I still have a 5-6 meter high snow hump on my backyard, here in the coastline of Stockholm...

About the iceracing i mentioned, we run this on frozen seas. Mostly in the north of Sweden and Finland.
Studs makes bad damage on asphalt. Specially the heavy 23mm long iceracing studs
I put a youtubelink here below to a film from the seventies about our iceracing back in that days, its a old amateurvideo, but very nice if you want to se how we done it back in the glory days...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SkIcEGUY5g
Old 29 Mar 2013, 19:46 (Ref:3226560)   #82
Ben Shuckburgh
Racer

Ben Shuckburgh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse L View Post
Our tarmac season normaly starts up in en of april/erly in may. and last in october.
I still have a 5-6 meter high snow hump on my backyard, here in the coastline of Stockholm...

About the iceracing i mentioned, we run this on frozen seas. Mostly in the north of Sweden and Finland.
Studs makes bad damage on asphalt. Specially the heavy 23mm long iceracing studs
I put a youtubelink here below to a film from the seventies about our iceracing back in that days, its a old amateurvideo, but very nice if you want to se how we done it back in the glory days...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SkIcEGUY5g
Very cool film, thanks for posting.
Old 4 Apr 2013, 15:55 (Ref:3229168)   #83
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Shuckburgh View Post
Very cool film
That will be all that ice?