Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 8 Jun 2003, 12:04 (Ref:624440)   #1
racingdick
Veteran

racingdick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EETC to join BTCC under new rules

NEW REGULATIONS OPEN DOOR FOR ETCC MANUFACTURERS

New rules to the Green Flag MSA British Touring Car Championship will open the door for at least another six car manufacturers to race in the series in 2004, the BTCC’s Administrator Alan Gow announced today (Sunday) – a move which will return the series to its golden era of the mid-1990s.

BMW, Alfa Romeo, Volvo and Audi – stars of the BTCC throughout the 1990s – plus SEAT and Skoda have built cars to European Touring Car specification and all will be eligible for next year’s British championship, in addition to other manufacturers planning a return to touring car racing.

The BTCC is currently contested by four official manufacturer teams, Honda, MG, Proton and Vauxhall, plus privately-run teams representing Alfa, BMW and Peugeot.

“The first day I was appointed as Administrator I was in contact with many manufacturers and the reaction has been extremely positive,” commented Gow. “I will be holding further talks with them in the near future. The current BTCC teams and manufacturers have also welcomed this news with open arms. It is an enormously positive step forward for the BTCC.”

Gow added: “All the cars, whether they be already here in the BTCC or coming from the ETCC, will compete on an equal basis, with the technical regulations for each type of car remaining unchanged. Any performance differential we will level out through simple adjustments to the sporting regulations.

“This will create an arena in which the BTCC can return to its heady days of the 1990s when we had up to nine manufacturers competing against each other with over 25 Touring cars on the grid.

“I also intend to make some more very positive announcements regarding the future of the BTCC in the coming weeks.”

Gow insists that he will keep in place the effective cost-cutting rules that the BTCC currently runs to and attract back the 40,000-plus crowds seen in the 1990s.

He said: “It is important to stress that the limited testing and current cost-cutting regulations will remain in place. We have four manufacturers in the BTCC but what we are doing now is opening it up to attract another five or six. It is something I firmly believe everyone involved, competitors and spectators, want to see again.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 12:23 (Ref:624453)   #2
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news, fantastic. As an Aussie I don't see alot of the BTCC, but I sure hope they can get back to the glory days of the 90s
Old 8 Jun 2003, 19:45 (Ref:624882)   #3
coxmattycox
Racer

coxmattycox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
new etcc, thing where they can come in btcc

hmm can someone please tell me what is so different now that teams like volvo can come into the btcc now? why couldn't they before??
whats changed <confused>

But whatever sounds good
Old 8 Jun 2003, 20:11 (Ref:624918)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Volvo etc could have entered the BTCC before, the difference was they would have to have built cars to the TOCA/BTCC regulations. The change is that as of next year TOCA will also accept cars built to FIA 'Super 2000' regulations. Volvo, Alfa, BMW, Nissan, Skoda and SEAT already have cars built to those regs.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 20:36 (Ref:624948)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
what's the difference in speed between the two? how will it work in practice?
Old 8 Jun 2003, 20:47 (Ref:624963)   #6
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting move, we shall see what happens, it will be great to see Alfa, BMW et al back in the championship, it will be interesting to see how the car perform againest each another. Roll on 2004......
Old 8 Jun 2003, 21:34 (Ref:625024)   #7
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Last year at Donington the fastest BTCC laps was 1m 41.2s, the best ETCC laps was 1m 41.7s. ETCC rules allow for tyre warmers so best to take race pace than qualifying.

Sweden are running mixed BTCC and ETCC rules already. Johan can probably give you more of an insight but from memory the ex-BTCC cars are running with extra ballast.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 22:53 (Ref:625096)   #8
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt we'll see an official Volvo entry, haven't they withdrawn from motorsport altogether?
I to would be interested to see how this would work. He mentions other manufacturers wanting to return to touring cars wjo could they be, Peugeot, Nissan, Renault, Ford, Toyota?
Old 8 Jun 2003, 23:04 (Ref:625106)   #9
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also am i right in believing that BTCC cars are in fact more powerful than ETCC cars and the similar lap times are mainly down to the fact that BTCC cars are heavier?
Old 8 Jun 2003, 23:55 (Ref:625162)   #10
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
Radisichrox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can someone please explain the difference between the BTCC rules and ETCC rules? Or please explain the changes taking place for next year? (Technical changes)
Old 9 Jun 2003, 01:28 (Ref:625222)   #11
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It sounds like they will use different race weights to equalize the car performances. I wonder how well that will work. The STCC is using that method, but I don't know if the rules are widely loved by the manufacturers?
Old 9 Jun 2003, 07:44 (Ref:625334)   #12
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very early days, but Will any new manufacturer wanting to enter the BTCC next year, not currently in the ETC, build a current spec-BTCC car, or an ETC spec car, or would they have a choice?

will anyone else build anymore BTC Tourers, or will the current BTCC manufacturers build ETC-spec cars next year?
Old 9 Jun 2003, 10:45 (Ref:625533)   #13
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's an interesting point racer. Never thought of that...

Any new manufacturers, considering your point would be stupid to build a BTCT car when they can build an ETCC spec car and race it in both series..
Old 9 Jun 2003, 11:12 (Ref:625563)   #14
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by redshoes
Johan can probably give you more of an insight but from memory the ex-BTCC cars are running with extra ballast.
Correct, and with reduced RPM.
Old 9 Jun 2003, 16:44 (Ref:626086)   #15
kmchow
Veteran

I think it will be funny if teams abandon the BTCT format and switch to ETCC spec cars. So now we have the ETCC, BTCC and STCC. We are beginning to have an unofficial global series?
Old 9 Jun 2003, 17:27 (Ref:626156)   #16
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It may prove one set of regs has some advantage (running costs etc) and may be the dominant one.

But yeh, ETCC, BTCC, STCC are the series with the rules that will become global someday..
Old 9 Jun 2003, 23:42 (Ref:626598)   #17
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
But yeh, ETCC, BTCC, STCC are the series with the rules that will become global someday..
I hope someday will be very soon! =)
Old 10 Jun 2003, 00:34 (Ref:626627)   #18
Speeddemon555
Veteran

Speeddemon555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would be happy to see the touring cars together. Time to beat and bang, folks.
Old 10 Jun 2003, 19:37 (Ref:627479)   #19
AdamED
Racer

AdamED should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah i think gow has shot hiself in the foot unless he says any official manufacturer building a new cars Has to build to bttc touring regulations
Old 10 Jun 2003, 21:42 (Ref:627608)   #20
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think the BTCC needed something like this, we ain't had any new manufacture's recently so this will be a welcome boost to the series. Bringing into line with the ETCC will only serve to strength our series. Teams will come to national series like the BTCC as a stepping stone to the ETCC, as will drivers. Gotta be good for the future.....
Old 11 Jun 2003, 10:04 (Ref:628030)   #21
tecmerc
Rookie

tecmerc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think its a good idea. even if manufacture's do build cars to etcc spec and not btcc spec it'll still mean more cars on the grid and hopefully a better series.

ain't life fun.
Old 11 Jun 2003, 16:38 (Ref:628461)   #22
kmchow
Veteran

I'm glad the BTCC organizers took "my" suggestion and decided to allow the ETCC S2000 cars to race. This way, if all the teams abandon the BTC rules, then it doesn't look as bad. The BTCC never officially adopted the S2000 rules. I wonder if any teams will build new BTC tourers for '04 now???

Last edited by kmchow; 11 Jun 2003 at 16:43.
Old 15 Jun 2003, 08:45 (Ref:631825)   #23
runnyhunny
Racer

runnyhunny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is completely nuts.

How on earth will the ballast be set? Who can quantify the difference between ETCC and BTCC laptimes, and translate them into extra ballast? No-one!

Of course, there are also problems with the testing restrictions. Gow has just OK'd teams travelling to Europe and testing as much as they want. Oh dear. I can see the costs spiralling from here!

Ultimately, the BTCC regs will probably fold. Who would develop a new BTCC racer now? I wonder how VLR feel about this, as they have only just built a brand new BTCC racer.

A major cost-saver of the BTCC regs (common parts) will also be gone. OK look, the costs can sky-rocket again.

Stupid move.

Yes, those ETCC manufacturers needed attracting, but this wasn't the way to do it. Better to look at a 'conversion kit' or something like that, so that a manufacturer could convert an (expensive) ETCC car into a (cheaper) BTCC car.
Old 15 Jun 2003, 09:53 (Ref:631853)   #24
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by runnyhunny
This is completely nuts.

How on earth will the ballast be set? Who can quantify the difference between ETCC and BTCC laptimes, and translate them into extra ballast? No-one!
Just look at the STCC. Just look at the qualifying times, Rustads' Astra right in the pack of the ETCC spec' cars.
Old 15 Jun 2003, 10:00 (Ref:631854)   #25
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
And it's only inevitable that ETCC cars next year will be far closer to the BTCC cars in terms of speed because of the testing etc..

Gow has Ok'd teams testing across Europe ? I don't get ya, BTCC teams cannot test at ANY circuit anywhere in the world.

VLR must've been OK about it, they are one of the teams and there was 100% backing for this...