Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 Sep 2008, 11:29 (Ref:2287968)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
CSCC Classic & Jaguar Weekend - Cadwell, 6/7 September, 2008

Unexpectedly (well, at short notice, anyway), I found myself at this meeting on the Sunday. Cadwell is such a lovely circuit, the weather was generally very fair and the racing was good fun to watch, although there were a disproportionate number of red flag periods in the morning.

Met up with 10-Tenther, Celia Stevens with Peerless GT. Failed in my attempts to finally meet up with fellow mod, Adam Ashmore, but I guess it'll happen at some stage. Any other 10-Tenthers, there?

I'll put a few pics up from the 'historics' element of this meeting in due course, but I have some catching up to do on other threads first. Both Celia and Adam's cars will feature, though!
Old 12 Sep 2008, 13:02 (Ref:2288045)   #2
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John,

There's a lot of chat about this meeting on the marshall's forum. Any pics of No 36, the white Mk2 Jag?
Old 12 Sep 2008, 13:56 (Ref:2288077)   #3
AndyV
Racer

England
Somerset, where the cider apples grow
AndyV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was there, my first outing as a registered Sixties Swinger.

Great racing and dry too.

Andy
(Black/Silver Spitfire #50)
Old 12 Sep 2008, 14:13 (Ref:2288089)   #4
NiG_21
Racer

United Kingdom
Shepperton, Middlesex
NiG_21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was there too, just behind Adam Ashmore on the Swinging Sixties grid (Red Spitfire #21)... Andy's right - great racing*... want pics, want, want !!

*Andy beat me but I got faster lap... :P
Old 12 Sep 2008, 19:27 (Ref:2288356)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
OK, I'll pop into the marshal's forum ..... and try to find pics of all of you when I do my pictorial review.
Old 12 Sep 2008, 21:30 (Ref:2288450)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
John, sorry I missed you, I was off on an urgent mission (cup of coffee IIRC). I kept my eye open for the rest of the meeting, but I guess you were in more interesting places than the back of the paddock. It was great racing, I was hampered by a dodgy second gear (and talent), but that didn't stop the enjoyment.

I am new to the series and am really enjoying it. It is great racing. I was stuck behind Wilkinsons E-Type. He had the power, but I had the lightness. A bit like when I was with the Spitfires, but then I had the power, but not the braking/gears! I wasn't able to get past. After I showed my hand into Mansfield, but botched it up and missed second, he defended well and didn't give me the opportunity to get past. It was fun to be stuck on teh E-Types bumper though.

Great to see so many swingers (!) on 10-10ths too. Andy and Nigel Great to race with you.
Old 12 Sep 2008, 21:55 (Ref:2288468)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There are none of us, but there are some photographs of our fellow racers on flickr: http://flickr.com/photos/lewiscraik/...in/dateposted/
I think the user might be uploading them as I type...

Nigel has a thread in Motosport Art and Photography: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109632
and the Marshals thread is here: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109447

Last edited by Adam43; 12 Sep 2008 at 21:58.
Old 12 Sep 2008, 23:15 (Ref:2288517)   #8
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
I was debuting in Swingers too, Midget #57, just a second or so behind Adam and the Spits; my other driver (just) beat the B's best race lap time which is encouraging.... if only the throttle cable hadn't broken under his heavy right foot....
Old 13 Sep 2008, 09:58 (Ref:2288785)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Lots of newbie swingers.
It is a great field of cars. Whatever your car is you always end up battling with other interesting cars.
Old 13 Sep 2008, 12:29 (Ref:2288896)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Yes, it was good field and good to watch.
Old 14 Sep 2008, 21:42 (Ref:2290336)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Historic racing, lets see some from Cadwell.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjSjYQaTpEk
I wish I had seen this earlier as I have just realised what the ideal line up the Mountain is.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 11:56 (Ref:2290808)   #12
NiG_21
Racer

United Kingdom
Shepperton, Middlesex
NiG_21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
3mins 44secs in.... he does seem to be leading
Old 15 Sep 2008, 12:25 (Ref:2290840)   #13
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1960,? Anglia? Thought it was 62 they came out.Good bit of film though,apart from the tyre squeal.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 12:41 (Ref:2290845)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, Chumley-Warner was a very good commentator.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 14:50 (Ref:2290963)   #15
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My dads in that film!!
Old 15 Sep 2008, 15:01 (Ref:2290976)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Cool, which one is he?
Old 15 Sep 2008, 16:19 (Ref:2291032)   #17
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roy James too!
Later to be getaway driver for the Great Train Robbers.

Probably a mate of Colin's Dad
Old 18 Sep 2008, 08:05 (Ref:2293061)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 11 - Jaguar Classic Parts Saloons

Summed up rather quickly, I'm afraid, since this race lasted just 3 laps before being redflagged to clear up an accident and was not restarted. As a result, the number of pics I took was low, and even less survive my scrapping process!

The grid lined up with Mike Cann's XJ40 (48), unbelievably a 1984 car (is it really that long ago?) on pole with Tim Morant's 1972 XJ6 (62) alongside:-

The 3 leaders tackle the Mountain; McCann, Morant and Richard Dorlin (32 - XJ6):-

Guy Connew (72 - XJ6 - 16th) and Patrick Doyle (91 - XJ6 Coupe) hammer down the startline straight. Doyle's car was one that was returned to the paddock on the back of a recovery vehicle after the stoppage:-

Sorry Colin (McKay), but this was the only shot I got of you due to the restricted race length. Shortly after this was taken all the cars were sent back to the Paddock. Mike Cann was declared the winner with Richard Dorlin 2nd, so I don't know what happened to Morrant who was classified down in 8th place. Peter Dorlin was 3rd in his 1966 3.8 Mk2. Colin was classified 10th in his Mk 2. I note, too that Doyle was also classified, 17th, and I've noted an increasing tendency over the last couple of cars to classify cars that are involved in crashes that have brought out the red flag. Formerly they were excluded, since they were the reason for the stoppage. Is this a change of policy, and is it right?:-

Last edited by John Turner; 18 Sep 2008 at 08:13.
Old 18 Sep 2008, 21:09 (Ref:2293404)   #19
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There were a few surprising decisions at Cadwell...on Saturday our qualifying was red flagged with half the cars having completed 3 timed laps, several only 2 and at least 1 car (the one in the tyre wall!) only achieving a single lap, yet all the times were allowed to stand and that was the end of our qualifying. Whatever happened to the 3 lap minimum?
Old 18 Sep 2008, 21:23 (Ref:2293414)   #20
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Yes, it would be good to get an 'official' response to these issues.
Old 18 Sep 2008, 22:08 (Ref:2293442)   #21
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
I think it has always been the case that the CoC can use his discretion in giving a waiver to the 'requirement' for 3 qualifying laps; very sensibly in my book, otherwise some people might go without a race :-(
Certainly I have personally benefited from a waiver on at least 2 occasions in recent years....
Old 18 Sep 2008, 23:18 (Ref:2293472)   #22
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Usually the CoC will consider the warm up / green flag lap as one of the three competitors are supposed to complete before racing.
Old 19 Sep 2008, 07:11 (Ref:2293574)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
They are always fighting with time. The choice may have been curtain the practive or curtail/cancel a race later in the day.
Old 19 Sep 2008, 08:09 (Ref:2293591)   #24
Micky.H
Racer

England
A Little Town In East Yorks
Micky.H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the 3 lap rule was discretionary depending on experience of the circuit during the year, i.e. raced / practiced during the year.
Did you raise the issue with the CoC on the Saturday, if not, don't complain after the event.
Would you of preferred your fellow competitors not to of raced?
If it was you that had only done 1 or 2 laps would you be impressed if you were sent home without a race?
Old 19 Sep 2008, 09:29 (Ref:2293625)   #25
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I don't think Colin was complaining; merely making an observation, followed by a question, just as mine was.

Tags
classic sports car club, cscc