Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 28 Jul 2003, 05:25 (Ref:672938)   #1
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vancouver Morons

I couldn't believe how many moron's were racing out there in Vancouver. Bourdais punted Moreno, Monteiro punted Tagliani (and someone else, can't remember who) and Dominguez made a stupid move and punted Carpentier who was in 2nd place!
Old 28 Jul 2003, 05:36 (Ref:672945)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, in defense of Bourdais, he _tried_ to back out of the pass. Didn't do a very good job of it, though, and cost Moreno a possible podium.

Dominguez and Monteiro have absolutely no excuses. They both drove pointless, thoughtless races. Dominguez would _never_ have made that turn without coming to a near dead stop, and had Carpentier trapped on the outside of the corner, in 2nd place, multiple laps ahead. He should have been parked and fined on the spot.

Townsend Bell was tossed from the series for less. But he's not one of those spicey latin drivers... And he doesn't bring a personal sponsor. So of course the rules are different.

CART stewards couldn't officiate a children's soccer match, much less an auto race.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 28 Jul 2003 at 05:39.
Old 28 Jul 2003, 07:13 (Ref:672979)   #3
sgjb
Racer

sgjb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do believe alot of these problems happen because of CART inability to deal with problems. If in the past bone head moves were rewarded with stiffer penalties people may think twice. I wonder if Mario would have tried to pass Carpentier if he new that he may have to sit out a race for being 2 or 3 laps down and crashing a second place man. The sad thing was, he would have never made the corner anyway. He is as you say the moron of the race in my books.
Old 28 Jul 2003, 13:31 (Ref:673300)   #4
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pat and Tag have nothing to be angry about. They should be honored to have been taken out by such super nice guys who I am sure after another 400 races will actually begin to show signs of brain activity in a race car.

No way should Dominguez should even be allowed to keep his points for this race, but then since this is CART we are talking about they would probably find a way to award Dominguez the win at RA.
Old 28 Jul 2003, 13:34 (Ref:673302)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think these problems had more to do with racing on a tight street circuit with very little room for mistake. This track always produces lots of incidents like those. It's probably the tightest track on the Cart calendar, with a number of corners where two wide is physically impossible. Yet at the same time the course encourages close racing....the two will always equal lots of these incidents. Not every driver is as careful as the other...or uses their head as well..and it will equal trouble.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 28 Jul 2003, 13:59 (Ref:673327)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dominguez has been ludicrously overhyped by some people on this forum,a dnr ecently he has returned to driving dismally. He should defiantely be docked his points form this race. I'm surprised Pat was reasonably calm after the incident.

Montiero made a rookie mistake, but he has generally driven quite well this year in very difficult circumstances, and should be excused the odd mistake.

Eurosport and the stewards were as moronic as anyone though.
Old 28 Jul 2003, 14:48 (Ref:673372)   #7
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
all the lapped guy should be suspended or thrown out, they weren't racing for position, or even a chance to enter the race again, unless they hoped through attrition they'd get point- these guys are total morons, Moreno is so great in a champ car and to mess up his day-unforgivable, to boot out Patreeeek no chance for me to get back racing, and to belt tags (for no reason!) in a no passing possible area what a dillweed.
Old 28 Jul 2003, 15:25 (Ref:673401)   #8
MolsonRox
Rookie

MolsonRox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey BootsontheSide: Of course Patrick Carpentier was reasonably calm after the race -- that's his trademark. Imagine if it happened to Paul Tracy?? We'd never hear the end of it!! He would raise so much hell, Dominguez would never be able to show his face on the scene. It's amazing how different the two Players teammates are.
Old 28 Jul 2003, 16:27 (Ref:673455)   #9
rodrigomarban
Racer

rodrigomarban should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my humble opinion, apart of Mario and Tiago, the biggest morons of the race were the TV technicians, who were supposed to send the TV coverage to our homes. Most of the CART fans all over the world had to read an annoying message: "Please stay with us, we are having technical difficulties".
Old 28 Jul 2003, 16:46 (Ref:673460)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If we had a Chief Steward who knew how to make a decision based on anything but whining, and who would stick to it and enforce it the same way every time, there would be less whining, as well as fewer bonehead moves.

However, I nominate for bonehead of the weekend, Bourdais' move flying out of the pitlane after his first accident and smashing into Monteiro's car which was right where he left it when he went in ...

Patrick was wise to remain calm, so nobody would remember the bonehead move he pulled last year that wrecked two competitors and sent a third to the hospital. These things happen.

P.S. Townsend Bell did in fact have personal sponsorship; that is why he lasted as long as he did.
Old 28 Jul 2003, 16:56 (Ref:673470)   #11
oily oaf
Racer

oily oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

As one of the millions worldwide that lost the feed from Vancouver (looks very nice there by the way) can anyone tell me how Darren Manning drove, I understand he finished fith. Also wot happened to McDonalds sponsership of Bourdais car. Did they get the hump because Ronald was refused access to the podium at Cleveland?
Old 28 Jul 2003, 16:58 (Ref:673472)   #12
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the team ddi sport Macca's "M" on their backs.
So I am not sure, the Macdonald paint scheme was really poor at cleaveland anyway, kanaan had a better one when He had it
Old 28 Jul 2003, 16:59 (Ref:673474)   #13
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vancouver Morons:

(1)Geoff Boss & Gualter Salles individually crash on the warmup lap.

(2)Dale Coyne for saying his drivers were JUST TRYING to warm up their tires.

(3)At the start of the race Junky passes PT before any flag is thrown and then after the race he has the nerve to say that he out braked Paul into turn 1.

(4)The flagman (J.D. Wilbur?) for waving the green.

(5)CART officials for taking so long to correct it.

(6)Dominguez & Monteiro come together on lap 1.

(7)SeaBass for ending Moreno's day on lap 1/turn 1.

(8)SeaBass comes out of the pits and runs into the back of Dominguez's idle car.

(9)Monteiro takes out Tags.

(10)Darren Manning runs into Fernandez.

(11)Dominguez who is 3 laps down takes out Patreek.

P.S. It was one of the most BORING races I have ever seen!!!
Old 28 Jul 2003, 17:04 (Ref:673476)   #14
Evilsenna
Racer

Evilsenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MolsonRox, you didn't see Patreek's french interview when he came back to the pits after the accident. There was fire in his eyes, really really angry!
Old 28 Jul 2003, 17:05 (Ref:673477)   #15
corkholio
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
P.S. Townsend Bell did in fact have personal sponsorship; that is why he lasted as long as he did.
Not last year he didn't, or at least nowhere near enough to fund a full season ride. If he did then Moreno would not have been dropped.
Old 28 Jul 2003, 17:09 (Ref:673481)   #16
corkholio
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by oily oaf
Also wot happened to McDonalds sponsership of Bourdais car.
I think Ronald found out that Bourdais wasn't a super nice Enrique Iglesias lookalike with absolutely no results to speak, they must have terminated it after they found out Sebastian won something other than the lottery.

The deal was only a B2B one between Paul Newman and McD's for Cleveland, Denver, and Miami.
Old 28 Jul 2003, 17:17 (Ref:673491)   #17
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Yeah, but it wasn't a big corporate sponsor like Dominguez brings, someone to slap on the sidepods. Townsend's sponsorship was enough to pay for his ride, while Dominguez's corporate backers pay for nearly the whole team.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 28 Jul 2003 at 17:20.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 00:31 (Ref:673805)   #18
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Morons indeed and Bourdais – he lost credit – not only he tapped Roberto Moreno and Oriol Servia into a spin at the first turn, ran into Dominguez' stalled car while running under yellow – after the race: no sorry for Moreno, he said: “It was a great race, with some pretty intense action,”... “I don't know what happened at the beginning. Moreno made a slow start, and I was on the inside of two other cars. I don't think I have any blame to assume.” hmm... hey sportsman, you are wrong...
Attached Thumbnails
cart-van--03.jpg  
Old 29 Jul 2003, 07:06 (Ref:673935)   #19
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Vancouver played host to a whole load of moronic incidents from plenty of drivers. Let's see:

a. The whole Coyne effort was laughable

b. Why on earth did the starter wave that flag? And why on earth did it take so long for the penalty to be awarded? Even a blind man could see that Bruno jumped the start. They should have asked him to move over on lap 6 during the yellow, not lap 21 or whenever it was. A major embarrassment for CART officialdom.

c. Bourdais collecting Moreno at the start then saying post-race it was just an 'racing incident'. Racing incident or not, Sebas, that was an idiotic move!

d. Monteiro colliding with Tags. Monteiro was many laps down and shouldn't have been dicing with Tags anyway.

e. Dominguez colliding with Carpentier. I almost threw my lunch at the screen when I saw that. How STUPID can you get. Dominguez was busy dicing with people many laps ahead, and though obviously enjoying himself, was being nothing more but a nuisance.

f. Papis was just about laughable again, even though he kept his nose clean
Old 29 Jul 2003, 07:29 (Ref:673945)   #20
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
MacDaddy has just been appointed Chief-Steward-For-A-Day.

Bourdais' team gets fined $20,000. That amount increases the moment somebody mouths off to me. A Simple Green guy could have been killed if fate was working differently on that day.

Monteiro is stripped of his points and reprimanded.

Dominguez is parked and left alone with Carpentier's teammate after PT's shotgunned one of his personalized Molson Bubbas.

Oh yeah... Lest I forget...
The flagman is put in charge of the concession booth. And that job description changes the moment he mouths off to me. Then I'll put Knieffel in charge of the concession booth.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 18:26 (Ref:674536)   #21
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One more thing, Chief. What about those season passes for all your friends at 10/10's ?

Hurry before Pook finds out!
Old 29 Jul 2003, 18:57 (Ref:674568)   #22
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The track layout guarantys carnage. I can't emagine anything worse.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 21:14 (Ref:674709)   #23
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By the way, Servi*'s suspension was also damaged by contact with Monteiro. It's an excusable incident, but there was no room, Tiago.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 21:29 (Ref:674723)   #24
sgjb
Racer

sgjb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at the race and I am not sure how exciting it would have been if the Morons were not aloud to race. Let's visualize a single file no passing race. Although I hate stupid mistakes, maybe on a bad circuit at least it helps provide something interesting to talk about.

I thank all the morons for adding to my enjoyment, but leave Carpentier alone!!!
Old 29 Jul 2003, 21:34 (Ref:674728)   #25
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, at least something happened. Otherwise, it would have been another PT romp. Like it was the last 20 laps.