Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 9 Nov 2005, 01:06 (Ref:1455875)   #1
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Australian A1 GP 06

Interesting story in Auto Fiction today saying that the 2006 A1 GP could be held on a street circut around the Olympic site at Homebush. That would be a site to see A1 GP on a street circut. Will it happen I hope so, but I am not going to hold my breath.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 9 Nov 2005, 01:10 (Ref:1455876)   #2
bocster
Rookie

bocster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hehe that stories getting around abit. its the logical choice. dunno if they will get around the logistics of it. if they plan to have a big event in sydney and put A1 in the same league as indy and f1 then homebush would be the ideal
Old 9 Nov 2005, 01:43 (Ref:1455892)   #3
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally I hope it doesn't happen. This country seems hell bent on destroying its motorsport infrastructure.

I would say let the event grow and develop at Eastern Creek.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 02:17 (Ref:1455910)   #4
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish those guys would fact check something now and again.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 03:03 (Ref:1455924)   #5
Jacal
Racer

Australia
Sydney
Jacal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There seems to be an obsession with a street race around Homebush Bay, Its flat, featureless, would give rise to a race where passing is done in the pits and you would see less of the track in person than you do at EC. Given that the most common argument I've seen for moving the race to Homebush is that you don't see enough at EC this seems to defeat the purpose.

In Addition in 2-3 years when OP goes that leaves 1 permanent facility in Sydney, which I might add from a competitor's point of view provides a MUCH better facility than OP anyway, that is already owned by the government. Why would they compete with themselves on a facility that would have bigger establishment and de-establishment costs. They would need to get a much bigger crowd than they get at EC and where does everyone think that crowd is going to come from?

All this to appease the casual observer at the expense of the competitor. Way to go motorsport fans
Old 9 Nov 2005, 03:55 (Ref:1455939)   #6
bocster
Rookie

bocster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Its flat, featureless, would give rise to a race where passing is done in the pits and you would see less of the track in person than you do at EC
hehe.. thats a big call for a track that doesnt even exist.

i have all the respect in the world for the drivers as without them their is nothing to watch, so the opinion of drivers and the importance of them actually enjoying what they are doing is well noted. On the other hand though we have spectators, without them we dont have the big events and races cant be funded successfuly.

Eastern creek is a perfect venue for 60 to 70 thousand but if a series has bigger visions for itself isnt it up to them to try and find a place that will accomodate it. I think the A1 were extremely happy with the turnout at EC but i dont think they would be happy if the number had'nt grown in 5 years time.

as for a spectators view of EC, whoever thought of building a frigin track next door to a rubbish tip deserves a slap around the head, the only time ive seen so many flies was around a dead cat. As for shading, plant some frigin trees. lets face it,from a spectators point of view its no Spa.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 04:39 (Ref:1455953)   #7
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is not a good look when they are trying to interview Piquet for a live global TV audience and he can't start speaking because a large fly keeps landing on his face....

On TV the grass banking around the circuit looks like it could hold a great many spectators and the track itself is interesting, although could do with one more overtaking point.

I know I will get flammed for this but dare I suggest letting Tilke doing a rework of turn one (for safety and for easier overtaking)?

I would prefer Eastern Creek than a flat street circuit with 90 degree turns (if that is what it would have). Sydney needs one good permanent facility.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 06:01 (Ref:1455976)   #8
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Still can't believe they are closing OP to re-develop. Surely there must be some other land nearby that could be used instead? Who owns OP?
Old 9 Nov 2005, 06:13 (Ref:1455979)   #9
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Perich family. They are currently in the process of evaluating possible sites for a new racetrack to have a similar configuration to Oran Park.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 06:30 (Ref:1455986)   #10
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
Thanks. Do you know why they don't just keep OP and develop the new site? Or is this too easy?
Old 9 Nov 2005, 08:11 (Ref:1456028)   #11
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
I know I will get flammed for this but dare I suggest letting Tilke doing a rework of turn one (for safety and for easier overtaking)?
*Pukes*! Turn 1 is great, those who have the cajones to push the limits are rewarded at turn 2. Those who push the limits too far pay the price at turn 2. Sort the run-off out and it's awesome.

I think we can easily justify barring Mr Tilke from this country for waging his unsightly terrorist jihad on classic circuits the world over.
Old 10 Nov 2005, 00:45 (Ref:1456835)   #12
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andydickens
Thanks. Do you know why they don't just keep OP and develop the new site? Or is this too easy?
Oran Park is being bulldozed for residential development. The circuit's neighbours have been complaining about the place for years (they knew it was there when they moved in!) and development just kept closing in. In the end the owners just had to sell.

Thank God they are racers and want to build another circuit.
Old 10 Nov 2005, 01:24 (Ref:1456854)   #13
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GOOD to see constructive criticism of EC. I'm ARDC member,i have come to appreciate EC warts and all after sad demise of Amaroo BUT it needs better viewing somehow and a rework of the challenging but ominous turn 1.My present idea is the concrete wall being closer to the track but much more parallel so a glancing blow at high speed rather than a sudden stop would be facilitated. Better though if turn 1 became a 'braking duel' slower speed corner[memories of creek corner at warwick farm]. Both layouts could maybe be had there.
Old 10 Nov 2005, 02:12 (Ref:1456879)   #14
mac
Veteran

The problems with the Eastern Creek layout have nothing to do with turn one. It is the highlight of the circuit, and a fabulous corner that tests the high-speed limits of car and driver. In open-wheelers it is as challenging as any fast corner in the world.

Besides, if you get side-by-side going down the straight, you can pass into turn one. And turn two is a tremendous passing zone. You've also got chances at turns four and nine.

Eastern Creek's problems are the rubbish turns six and seven, and the equally rubbish 10, 11 & 12 section.
Old 29 Nov 2005, 08:04 (Ref:1472708)   #15
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
I'd like to see the A1 GP race in Adelaide....
Old 29 Nov 2005, 10:33 (Ref:1472792)   #16
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Corporate Hill

The only thing that needs bulldozing at EC is the Corporate Hill....

If this pimple on the bum of the circuit was levelled down to just above the small lake it would provide a much better view of much more of the circuit from a whole bunch of vantage points.

The original idea for having it has not happened...so get rid of it and make EC more like OP....it ain't rocket science
Old 29 Nov 2005, 21:58 (Ref:1473415)   #17
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
Speaking of EC, I shall be there this weekend for the F4000....
Old 29 Nov 2005, 22:30 (Ref:1473442)   #18
speedfreek
Rookie

United Kingdom
Reading
speedfreek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE= I'm ARDC member[/QUOTE]

if you have any influences on the people high up in the EC social order dont let them ruin turn 1!!!!! it is an awesome corner, in terms of saftey move the wall back 20 yards and have 4 tyre thick walls there. and to make up for the loss of veiwing with the wall moving back , put a grandstand there.
Old 2 Dec 2005, 05:20 (Ref:1475351)   #19
MCWB
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andydickens
Speaking of EC, I shall be there this weekend for the F4000....
I'll be there too, flagging it.
Old 2 Dec 2005, 06:04 (Ref:1475364)   #20
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCWB
I'll be there too, flagging it.
I'll be shooting it
Old 2 Dec 2005, 06:09 (Ref:1475368)   #21
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
hopefully, I'll be driving it (but not this weekend)
Old 2 Dec 2005, 06:38 (Ref:1475374)   #22
MCWB
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacors
I'll be shooting it
Thought you might be Nathan. I decided not to shoot it and give flagging a go this time!
Old 2 Dec 2005, 14:05 (Ref:1475703)   #23
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCWB
Thought you might be Nathan. I decided not to shoot it and give flagging a go this time!
Give me a yell if you see me walking around the track. I'm aiming to try a few new spots I haven't done before on the Saturday. Sunday podiums mean I can't stray too far away