Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 15 Oct 2015, 12:37 (Ref:3583038)   #101
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Whilst I think the concept is good I would question a few points

a) During the summer break which the teams wanted to enable staff to have breaks
b) Mid-season will teams want to risk damage to cars in a non-championship, mid-season event
c)Costs - budgets are already under strain so this will be extra costs unless of course it is funded by extra income/guest drivers
d) The overall costs of the event, at the moment the teams turn up and do their thing. That is a big difference to a promote that has to hire a circuit and be the underwriter of the event and put an EVENT on in total.
Given points a, b and c, how would you explain the 16 July tyre test which saw '25 drivers completing an incredible 1645 laps of the 2.97-mile layout'?

Alongside this, you will probably find that a lot of teams conducted at least one other test session during the summer break. I'm wondering if this 'festival' is designed to allow an entry fee to be charged at what would effectively be a test day? Tyre tests and car development could be conducted alongside a family-friendly day out.

I was also under the impression that the summer break was initially included to avoid TV clashes with other big sporting events? This potential event would allow ITV to broadcast a highlights package midweek, and still show every racing lap live.
Old 15 Oct 2015, 14:21 (Ref:3583049)   #102
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I'd love a two-driver race. Some suggestions for guest drivers:

Motorbase Ford: Winterbottom, Mostert.
Power Maxed Chevrolet: Norberto Fontana.
Speedworks Toyota: MatĂ*as Rossi.
Dynamics Honda: Gabriele Tarquini, RIckard Rydell.
Morgan Mercedes: Paul di Resta, Will Davison, AgustĂ*n Canapino.
Pro Infiniti: Rick Kelly, Lucas Ordóñez.
West Surrey BMW: Spengler, Farfus.
BMR Volkswagen: Ekström, Green.
Other: Lowndes, Whincup, Van Gisbergen, Tander, Courtney.
Old 15 Oct 2015, 15:14 (Ref:3583069)   #103
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Given points a, b and c, how would you explain the 16 July tyre test which saw '25 drivers completing an incredible 1645 laps of the 2.97-mile layout'?

Alongside this, you will probably find that a lot of teams conducted at least one other test session during the summer break. I'm wondering if this 'festival' is designed to allow an entry fee to be charged at what would effectively be a test day? Tyre tests and car development could be conducted alongside a family-friendly day out.

I was also under the impression that the summer break was initially included to avoid TV clashes with other big sporting events? This potential event would allow ITV to broadcast a highlights package midweek, and still show every racing lap live.
Testing and racing do not cost the same or carry the same risks - surely... and have different objectives.

I doubt that entry fees would cover the costs of a public promoted event with all that entails - who knows it may be fully sponsored already though.
Old 15 Oct 2015, 16:33 (Ref:3583084)   #104
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Three or more one-make races, with cars from different suppliers, all at a "lower" spec to the BTCC; all drivers to race in all types. That way you could have a driver, team and manufacturer (based on lap times, maybe?) trophy at the end of the day.

Or something like a rerun of the BTCC Masters race in '04, where Plato & Watts had the massive crash at the Old Hairpin - that was a good demo of the Leon, lots of great drivers, *lots* of panel bashing, very entertaining.
Old 15 Oct 2015, 17:09 (Ref:3583087)   #105
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Testing and racing do not cost the same or carry the same risks - surely... and have different objectives.

I doubt that entry fees would cover the costs of a public promoted event with all that entails - who knows it may be fully sponsored already though.
One important point is that, as proposed, this is not a TOCA event - presumably the teams and others putting this together would also hold the commercial rights, so any deals they do will be putting money in the pot. I imagine they wouldn't be looking to do it if there wasn't a way to make it worth their while...
Old 15 Oct 2015, 17:29 (Ref:3583094)   #106
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc View Post
One important point is that, as proposed, this is not a TOCA event - presumably the teams and others putting this together would also hold the commercial rights, so any deals they do will be putting money in the pot. I imagine they wouldn't be looking to do it if there wasn't a way to make it worth their while...
Yep, but they also have to underwrite it - which means hiring the circuit and all the costs of putting on a public event and the add ons that go with it.

Don't get me wrong - I lke the idea, but to me it sounds just that an idea not a reality, yet.
Old 16 Oct 2015, 08:19 (Ref:3583285)   #107
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
They need a cup to win or some kind of "hook" to make it more marketable.

"The UK Touring Car Cup" or something like that.
Old 16 Oct 2015, 11:20 (Ref:3583325)   #108
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
In other news BMR are moving factory
Old 16 Oct 2015, 18:12 (Ref:3583414)   #109
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc View Post
Yep

Of course this brings also risks, e.g. if it fails to attract spectators.

Personally would like to see an endurance race with international touring car drivers alongside the regular driver.
Old 18 Oct 2015, 09:00 (Ref:3583805)   #110
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
jsmee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
News from Andrew Jordan on the 28th
Old 18 Oct 2015, 15:15 (Ref:3583914)   #111
ExplodeTheApex
Racer

United Kingdom
ExplodeTheApex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmee View Post
News from Andrew Jordan on the 28th
Certainly a new team then as that's then exactly two weeks after season's end, which is when he mentioned his MG contract was up. Be interested to see how purple looks on the Focus...
Old 18 Oct 2015, 17:20 (Ref:3583937)   #112
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
BillWiskins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could it not just be a 'contract extended' announcement?
Old 18 Oct 2015, 19:47 (Ref:3583947)   #113
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like Josh Cook'll be back with PMR:

https://twitter.com/UKPMR/status/655803172401881089
Old 18 Oct 2015, 22:24 (Ref:3583969)   #114
ExplodeTheApex
Racer

United Kingdom
ExplodeTheApex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWiskins View Post
Could it not just be a 'contract extended' announcement?
I suppose it could, but then why couldn't they just announce that now?
Old 18 Oct 2015, 22:35 (Ref:3583972)   #115
CarsCarsCars
Racer

United Kingdom
UK
CarsCarsCars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplodeTheApex View Post
Hypothetically, a new manufacturer.
Old 18 Oct 2015, 23:02 (Ref:3583976)   #116
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
Quote:
Because you've got to build the hype! Even if the announcement is 'next year I'll be proud to be wearing Primark Driving Socks in the BTCC!', you've got to build the hype. See also: adverts for movie trailers.
Old 19 Oct 2015, 09:40 (Ref:3584048)   #117
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
you've got to build the hype. See also: adverts for movie trailers.
Ah, but BTCC Silly Season doesn't simply shoehorn all the good bits of the forthcoming season into the teaser trailer...
Old 19 Oct 2015, 12:23 (Ref:3584078)   #118
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Certainly a new team then as that's then exactly two weeks after season's end, which is when he mentioned his MG contract was up. Be interested to see how purple looks on the Focus...
I'd be more surprised if it were a different announcement to be honest.

Not in the same line It is interesting to see AmD looking at 3 cars next year if they can get the TBL's! Certainly going to be a bun fight for them over the winter.
Old 19 Oct 2015, 12:47 (Ref:3584085)   #119
CM388
Racer

CM388 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiiiiiim View Post
Not in the same line It is interesting to see AmD looking at 3 cars next year if they can get the TBL's! Certainly going to be a bun fight for them over the winter.
I'd imagine we'll be seeing some of the smaller, single car teams either merging with others or disappearing altogether.

OR we'll have a few newly-built NGTCs sat in garages gathering dust!
Old 19 Oct 2015, 14:28 (Ref:3584109)   #120
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
Must soon be time for the list of existing cars vs. proposed entries for next year...
Old 19 Oct 2015, 15:08 (Ref:3584119)   #121
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I fear it will also be a mess regarding the new RML kit as it would be needed for potentially 32 cars as existing cars have to be updated too
Old 19 Oct 2015, 15:28 (Ref:3584124)   #122
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
I fear it will also be a mess regarding the new RML kit as it would be needed for potentially 32 cars as existing cars have to be updated too
After Brands, one of the teams (I think it was Jeff Smith) referred to upcoming test(s) in 2015.
They said that they were hopeful that RML will have all the kit ready for their test, but may have to run 2015-spec as RML will only release parts once they have enough to supply all teams [that wish to use the kit] at the same time.

It might mean that each team will only get one kit initially, but while Nov was hoped for, there seemed to be no concern that all kits will be delivered in plenty of time.

It is also wrong to say that existing cars have to be updated, the choice lies with the teams:

'Initially this will involve concentrating on some technical updates which will be available to all teams for the 2016 season onwards – the vast majority of which will be compatible and interchangeable with current components. A team can then choose to use some or all (or none) of the updates, purely depending on their own requirements and budgets.'
'RML has already invested very considerable time and resources into this programme, with supply commencing in November for teams wishing to either build new cars or update their existing ones.'
Old 19 Oct 2015, 16:22 (Ref:3584136)   #123
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
Quote:
Must soon be time for the list of existing cars vs. proposed entries for next year...
Let's give it a go

4 x BMR VW CC
2 x Motorbase Ford Focus
3 X WSR BMW 125iMSport
2 x Speedworks Toyota Avensis
2 x Welch Proton Gen-2
1 x Dextra Ford Focus
2 x Cicely Mercedes A-Class
2 x PMR Chevrolet Cruze's
1 x AMD Ford Focus
2 x SOPR Infinti Q50
1 x Team HARD. Toyota Avensis
2 x Honda Yuasa Honda Civic Type-R
1 x AMD Audi S3 Saloon
2 x Eurotech Honda Civic
2 x 888 MG6GT
2 x RAR Audi A4
1 x Houseman Toyota Avensis

Total = 32 Have I missed anyone?

2016 Proposed

4 x BMR CC
2 x Motorbase Focus
3 x WSR BMW
3 x Speedworks Avensis
2 x Welch Hyundai i30
2 x Cicely A-Class
2 x PMR Cruze
1 x AMD Focus
1 x HARD. Avensis
2 x Yuasa Type-R
2 x AMD S3
3 x Eurotech Type-R
2 x RAR ?????
1 x Houseman Avensis

I make that 30! And that's without 888 who obviously aren't confirmed yet which would make it a 32 capacity!
Old 19 Oct 2015, 19:28 (Ref:3584164)   #124
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the proposed list above, as well as nothing from 888, you could include Dextra's TBL which team Parker have (I think it did actually trade hands from Motorbase), plus although only loaned this year I' sure SOPR would argue for a TBL as with one car they did complete the season etc, though they are manufacturer backed now!
Old 19 Oct 2015, 21:15 (Ref:3584191)   #125
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiiiiiim View Post
On the proposed list above, as well as nothing from 888, you could include Dextra's TBL which team Parker have (I think it did actually trade hands from Motorbase), plus although only loaned this year I' sure SOPR would argue for a TBL as with one car they did complete the season etc, though they are manufacturer backed now!
I'll stick in a TBC bit on the bottom for that.

Pre-qualifying in the BTCC must be the way forward

Or at least I would if it would let me edit it. Damn.