Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 Feb 2007, 18:52 (Ref:1838216)   #1
Big Sam
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cornwall
Big Sam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Historic modsports. Where?

Are there any events that historic modsports cars of the '70's can enter? I see various ideas and discussions for a series or a couple of races but so far nothing concrete.
I may be a little out of touch, being in the far west of Cornwall --miles from any decent circuit--but it would be nice to blow the cobwebs out of my old bus sometime, especially as it appears that I was wrong, in eligibility terms, to have restored and mantained the car in its '74 period spec and livery for nearly twenty years. "Big Sam" is more often remembered for winning its class in the '74 Blue Circle Modsports Championship against Nick Faure's new 2.7 RS Porsche than anything else. And Win Percy as being the driver that managed it.
But in financial terms I would have been better off restoring the car to its original works rally spec--Nissan, unusually, confirmed its pedigree a few years ago. And I would have been welcomed at Historic rallies as well as circuits.
So perhaps the pragamatists have won the day and there aren't enough modsports cars left to form a series. They have all been turned back into "historic sports cars" or "classic saloons" to suit the contemporary race scene. Not much "history" preseved there then, but plenty of "classic" money spinning!

Nick Howell
Old 10 Feb 2007, 21:48 (Ref:1838298)   #2
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome Nick,unfortunatly there are not to many series to campain Big Sam in these days,it would be good to see it out again though.I did a fair amount of work on it quite some time ago when I worked for Arthur Carter,as you may remember.
Old 11 Feb 2007, 00:53 (Ref:1838382)   #3
Anuauto
Racer

Anuauto has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Whilst the market value may have been enhanced reverting to original rally spec, in the UK all competitive historic rallying permits replica cars and gives no consideration to genuine originals. A point that concerns me too, as I reach the point of needing to sell a car with international rally history in my hands going back 25 years. That was never the original intention of UK historic rallying.
Old 11 Feb 2007, 11:54 (Ref:1838568)   #4
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One series could be the SRGT series, but that depends on what spec the car is. i think they have had a couple of Modsports Davrians racing in the series in the past. Have a look here: http://www.srgtc.org.uk/

Apart from that there are very few places to race an old modsports type car. All the places it could race would have modern sports cars in.

It is a shame that there are not mroe modsports out racing.
Old 11 Feb 2007, 18:07 (Ref:1838793)   #5
Biff
Rookie

United Kingdom
Worcestershire
Biff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have thought it would fit straight into one of the classes in the North West Sports and Saloons.

The championship has quite a cult following. It has modsports Elans and Europas as well as a huge variety of other cars.

It is a BARC championship run by John Leck at the North West Centre.
Old 11 Feb 2007, 18:57 (Ref:1838828)   #6
Big Sam
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cornwall
Big Sam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Terry; that must have been when you repaired and resprayed the n/s rear corner after I spun at Becket's --Silverstone. I was inexperienced and pushing too hard against A M-T in his Cobra. He seemed to get teed off when I would overtake him around the outside of corners and so would re-take on the straights. Mind you he had twice the power! "what's under the bonnet of that effing Datsun" was his comment afterwards in the paddock. Fun day.