Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Aug 2002, 14:15 (Ref:360226)   #1
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I miss Murray Walker...

I miss his voice in F1 . Anyone know what he's been up to recently ?? Since leaving F1 , I haven't heard his name mentioned on this side of the pond .

David Hobbs does a good job on Speed for the commentary,but Murray made the races more fun to watch.

Alan
Old 18 Aug 2002, 14:19 (Ref:360232)   #2
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I realised this too when ITV showed a clip from last years start today and the continuous commentary and excitement until turn 2 when the clip ended was awesome!
Old 18 Aug 2002, 14:47 (Ref:360275)   #3
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I miss him, but not as much as I expected.
Old 18 Aug 2002, 15:21 (Ref:360319)   #4
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I miss him more than I expected - his little mistakes and excited little voice.
Old 18 Aug 2002, 15:48 (Ref:360341)   #5
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, by all accounts, Murray's busier than ever. He's doing lots of personal appearances, and he's putting the finishing touches to the official autobiography.

He was in the commentary box for a Donington vintage car race a few weeks back, and that was a delightful experience - actually being at trackside and hearing that familiar voice over the PA.

I believe he's commentating at the track again for Goodwood in a couple of weeks' time.

As for missing him - well, I've been taping the GPs this year for archive/continuity purposes as usual, but I don't think I've actually played one back yet this year. But I think I may remind myself tonight of Murray's commentary on the 1986 Hungarian race....
Old 18 Aug 2002, 21:59 (Ref:360649)   #6
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i hate to say it..but i havent missed him at all...even though ive always liked Murry a lot....strange really !

i think i have got so engrossed in SKY's great coverage, that i hadnt really thought much about Murray.

I met him once , and have to say he is probally one of the nicest people i have ever met.
Old 18 Aug 2002, 22:03 (Ref:360653)   #7
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really miss him... He made some boring F1 races seem not so boring... James Allen just puts me to sleep.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 18 Aug 2002, 22:03 (Ref:360654)   #8
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This should be in the F1 forum actually...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 18 Aug 2002, 22:14 (Ref:360672)   #9
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
James Allen makes me want to throw things at the telly!! Thank god for sky is all I can say.
Old 18 Aug 2002, 22:20 (Ref:360681)   #10
O'Schumacher
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire, England
O'Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Sato san,

You can get engrossed with the SKY coverage, After all, they do have Ben Edwards behind the mike, and in my opinion he's the very best around.

We mere commoners have to make do with James Allen, who was always going to struggle replacing Murray without a background in commentary.

And come on guys, he's not exactly doing a bad job is he?
Old 18 Aug 2002, 22:22 (Ref:360684)   #11
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Murray's still busy... He trundled straight past me on his golfcart at the Goodwood Festival of Speed! Not quick enough for an autograph though...
Old 18 Aug 2002, 22:28 (Ref:360695)   #12
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I miss Murray - he was fun, and kept us awake during our late night telecasts here. James Allen .......... I don't know, he is just not that exciting, is he?

Valve
Old 19 Aug 2002, 01:32 (Ref:360798)   #13
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm glad he retired!
Old 19 Aug 2002, 01:41 (Ref:360806)   #14
Legend
Veteran

Legend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys here are the famous Murray Walker quotes!

http://www.shanemcdonald.com/laughs/...ay-walker.html

Man this guy is funny!
Old 20 Aug 2002, 20:00 (Ref:362346)   #15
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Legend....your name seems to sum up murray quite well.
Old 20 Aug 2002, 21:06 (Ref:362403)   #16
Legend
Veteran

Legend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes Murray is a Legend no doubt, he is one of a kind.

Here is two of my favourite quotes:

"He's obviously gone in for a wheel change. I say obviously because I can't see it"

As an introductory piece for a rallysprint race, Murray was put in the Navigator's seat alongside Tony Pond in a Chevette HSR (270 BHP, rwd, and TWITCHY), added an in-car camera, and wired Murray for sound. The result can be deduced by extrapolating his usual excitement and enthusiasm, and adding a large pinch of raw terror! "And there's a 600 foot drop on my left..AND we're doing 120 mph... AND we're approaching a hairpin...OH MY GOD we're going to die..."

Cheers Sato san
Old 20 Aug 2002, 22:00 (Ref:362449)   #17
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was at the Minardi Thunder in the Park event and had a good chat with Murray and his wife as I have done paintings for him before.
He has been busy with his book but is worried that no-one will buy it!! As if...
At the time, the support band to 'Damon and the Conrods' were on stage - tribute act 'Pete Loaf' (!) and Murray didn't think much to that! Couldn't understand how it could be called music.
Anyway, I got the impression that he was suprised at how much he did miss F1 after visiting Silverstone.
I for one will certainly buy his book.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 10:11 (Ref:362782)   #18
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You'd be stupid not to buy his book.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 10:26 (Ref:362798)   #19
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i saw him at work one cold morning this year at the orange/arrows(who they?)link up launch...total professional.

i'm sure he's happy doing what he's doing...so itv can we have ben edwards now like we should have had in the first place?
Old 21 Aug 2002, 10:31 (Ref:362801)   #20
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Murray's great - he gives hope to all us excentric twits who keep repeating ourselves in the vain hope that it will sound more profound the next time round.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 11:00 (Ref:362825)   #21
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I gather that TOCA's bid for Ben was higher. Surely the best racing commentator around and like Murray, a super likeable chap.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 11:07 (Ref:362828)   #22
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
i agree with that Andrew . And being a ex racer as well , Ben knows his stuff .
Old 21 Aug 2002, 11:25 (Ref:362843)   #23
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
By the way - I used to live in Germany and it is/was not just Murray who occassionally got things wrong!
I remember watching a GP on RTL, The German channel and Jochen Mass was commentating. I speak German so it was not a problem to follow the race on TV. Michael Andretti came into the pits on 3 wheels in his McLaren - you could see this as clear as day.
"The mechanics are looking around the back of the car - I don't know why he has pitted so early, it could be the clutch" said Mass!
Old 21 Aug 2002, 11:28 (Ref:362847)   #24
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom

it happens to the best of them then !
Old 21 Aug 2002, 11:36 (Ref:362856)   #25
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Murray made the dullest of races exciting. James Allen puts me to sleep........in the middle of the day!!!!