Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 30 Nov 2003, 16:43 (Ref:799332)   #1
Top Gear
Rookie

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Top Gear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Giffin not in BTCC

Team Griffin is not cmpeting in BTCC in 04 it has decided instead to enter the new fomrula BMW series What going to happen to the 406s they got off VLR.
Old 30 Nov 2003, 16:59 (Ref:799338)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The cars seem destined for the scrapheap. They were never likely to be competitive, especialyl with the influx of ETCC-spec cars this year. Griffin have now made very much the right choice, as they don't seem like a big enough organisation to be able to compete.
Old 30 Nov 2003, 18:02 (Ref:799382)   #3
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
SPARK Msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll buy the 406's off VLR for 50p...could be the most they might get for them now...
Old 30 Nov 2003, 19:02 (Ref:799427)   #4
wurzel
Rookie

wurzel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Topgear,do you know when this announcement was made because there was nothing in autosport about this change of plan?
Old 30 Nov 2003, 19:15 (Ref:799444)   #5
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wurzel, do you actually read everything you read/don't read in Autosport? There are other reliable sources of news, provided Top Gear's source is reliable ...
Old 30 Nov 2003, 19:36 (Ref:799472)   #6
Top Gear
Rookie

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Top Gear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ITS was in Autosport in club Autosport in the back of the mag
bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct
and your experience as well, you can fly very high."
-Ayrton Senna
Old 30 Nov 2003, 19:41 (Ref:799478)   #7
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
There was a brief article in there, as Top Gear states, but it doesn't specifically say that Griffin are not going to step up to the BTCC. You can read it whichever way you want but I'd not be surprised to see the old Pugs out next year!
Old 30 Nov 2003, 21:54 (Ref:799583)   #8
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Actually the Autosport story says Formula Renault not Formula BMW
Old 30 Nov 2003, 22:17 (Ref:799602)   #9
Jamie P-E
Racer

Jamie P-E is a back marker
is this another load of gossip. As far as I am aware they're in the BTCC for 2004
Old 30 Nov 2003, 23:27 (Ref:799657)   #10
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder how much Griffin paid for the 406s? How can they just scrap the cars? Surely, those 2 cars must have easily cost over 75K GBP???
Old 1 Dec 2003, 00:49 (Ref:799708)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
maybe they got them off the scrap heap in the first place.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 17:33 (Ref:800519)   #12
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't reckon the 406 gets a fair treatment on here!!

Ok they may not be the most nimble car on the grid, or the fastest but they're /were good enough to win a title..
Old 1 Dec 2003, 20:46 (Ref:800666)   #13
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Which wouldn't have been theirs had their rival not been knocked out of 2 races at Donington.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 21:11 (Ref:800678)   #14
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
SPARK Msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon the 406 Coupe has been the best looking BTCC car i've ever seen, i'll give VLR and Peugoet that but I think (like what everyone else is saying) it is getting that we bit old now and like what Dan said this year after racing the 307, the 406 is a `big` car, hard to handle, hard to find the right set up and small, tight tracks...etc
I'm sure we'd all love to see the 406's back, but they wouldnt win anything, abit like Minardi in F1, would you REALLY want to run them?
(Sorry Minardi!)
Old 1 Dec 2003, 23:00 (Ref:800799)   #15
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Craner Curves
Which wouldn't have been theirs had their rival not been knocked out of 2 races at Donington.
Completely disagree with that. A season is made up of 20-odd races, not just the final two.
Old 3 Dec 2003, 19:31 (Ref:802948)   #16
skypop
Rookie

skypop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Giffin not in BTCC

Quote:
Originally posted by Top Gear
Team Griffin is not cmpeting in BTCC in 04 it has decided instead to enter the new fomrula BMW series What going to happen to the 406s they got off VLR.
Personally I see them as a small concern, they have not set the field onfire in Clios. Sketchy results and frankly how they could source the funds to even consider expanding when similar ClioCup team Xcel who i add won 2 championship in the one make champioship has just shut its doors!!

The team Owner Julian Griffin frankly has no hope even if he did enter a Pug in the BTCC as he was always a backmarker. Add to that a car thats is old and underdeveloped they have no hope!

And by the sounds of it they have relised it before they risk the future of the team and there reputation!

At this stage i believe Formula Renault or BMW is out of their league..

Old 3 Dec 2003, 21:25 (Ref:803060)   #17
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Apex
Completely disagree with that. A season is made up of 20-odd races, not just the final two.
I agree. In the 2002 season, which car got the most independent wins? MG, Vauxhall or Peugeot?!
Old 4 Dec 2003, 15:20 (Ref:803817)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They also had the only 2 experienced drivers, one a former champion the other an improving youngster, as well as a more developed car than the MG, and MG missed the first round. The cars themselves were well off the pace, and they only took half a season to make the 307 competitive at that level, even without works funding.
Old 6 Dec 2003, 11:30 (Ref:805454)   #19
Jonny Apex
Veteran

I think that's a little unfair on Barwell. Two most experienced (Chilton) drivers? Hardly, and those 307s had already had a year's development with Peugeot input from 2001.

My earlier point was that a driver or team can't really say "I lost the title at the last round". You lose or win a title over the course of the season. Every race you do counts.

Skypop: the Griffin team does have an excellent sponsor who wants to move up into BTCC, as well as keep the Clio Cup team alongside it. FBMW is not in the team's plans (TopGear read the story wrong as he/she did in claiming Griffin would not be in BTCC next year. It states that FRenault is a possibile expansion, but there's no mention of FBMW).
Old 6 Dec 2003, 12:39 (Ref:805476)   #20
skypop
Rookie

Yes in the Lloyds Group, though the team is in its Infancy.
The team only have limited experiance between all of the mechanics.
There is a load of differance between running a car out of the box, like the Clio or Formula Renault.

Touring cars require engineering and ongoing development!
IMHO the team will struggle if they were to enter!

They are unlickely to have assistance from VLR as they have there 307's and the formula BMW to run.
Old 6 Dec 2003, 12:57 (Ref:805488)   #21
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
skypop, i couldn't quite make out your point through all the cliches...

with the development i suppose it depends how much information vlr gave them with the cars. if they gave them all the set-up info, all they need is a couple of monkeys to put the correct bits on the car.

the fact they bought the 406 indicates to me they weren't planning to take that year as anything other than a learning year. that car's not really competitive any more, unless lap times have stayed static over the seasons, and i can't believe vauxhall have let that happen.

seems like a plan to me. learn how everything works and then go at it with some more up to date cars in the next few years.

in the end it just adds a few cars to the grid doesn't it?
Old 6 Dec 2003, 14:01 (Ref:805529)   #22
skypop
Rookie

Griffin should stick to clios untill they have some experience in playing at the top level.

Ever heard the saying "Walk before you can Run"
Old 6 Dec 2003, 22:37 (Ref:805764)   #23
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by skypop
They are unlickely to have assistance from VLR as they have there 307's and the formula BMW to run.
Griffin seem to have a good relationship with VLR though: Marcus Thomas, one of their Clio drivers, is managed by Vic Lee, another of their drivers, Matt Allison, is managed by Tim Harvey who said, "The decision to place Matt in the Clio Cup is part of a long-term view which we hope will see him progress to the BTCC, potentially with Team Griffin Racing. I'll be helping Julian test his 406 Coupe touring car ahead of next season so this link-up seemed the obvious thing to do."
Old 7 Dec 2003, 02:30 (Ref:805844)   #24
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bella
if they gave them all the set-up info, all they need is a couple of monkeys to put the correct bits on the car.
I wonder how much of the setup info is useful? They were setup to cater to a different driver?

Quote:
seems like a plan to me. learn how everything works and then go at it with some more up to date cars in the next few years.
How much of the setup info is transferable to another make/model though? I guess something is better than nothing?
Old 7 Dec 2003, 14:44 (Ref:806034)   #25
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
none of the setup info is transferrable between models and makes of cars really. what i'm saying is just learn how the series works and then go at it properly with an up to date car.

setups are quite easily adjusted for different drivers though, you just have to have a good engineer who knows how to translate what the driver's saying into something useful.