Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 13 Aug 2006, 01:21 (Ref:1680928)   #176
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
i couldnt resist
Old 13 Aug 2006, 08:48 (Ref:1681044)   #177
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
He's just won a GP. I personally have no particular preference for Jenson, but I enjoyed his win and was pleased for him. If anyone won a GP for the first time they'd devote a lot to it and the fact they do more for Jenson hardly warrants such derision. For once the negativity about Buttonsport isn't justified. IMHO.
What I'm deriding isn't the attention given to a significant event in british Motorsport - What I am deriding is some of the p***poor phraseology used.

"Why is his talent so special" sounds more like something you'd find in Smash Hits than Autosport and after 15 pages of Jenson in this week's edition we then get an almost full page ad for next week's edition which tells us that we can look forward to them talking to him in time for next Thursday. So 15 pages and you haven't even interviewed him properly yet!

Different people like different things - I don't mind a significant F1 happening getting due coverage but lets keep it on the island - Autosport should be a news magazine not a fanzine.
Old 13 Aug 2006, 10:07 (Ref:1681096)   #178
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin
after 15 pages of Jenson in this week's edition we then get an almost full page ad for next week's edition which tells us that we can look forward to them talking to him in time for next Thursday. So 15 pages and you haven't even interviewed him properly yet!
Oh gawd....glad you warned us of that one, I haven't seen that ad yet!
Old 13 Aug 2006, 11:34 (Ref:1681155)   #179
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin
What I'm deriding isn't the attention given to a significant event in british Motorsport - What I am deriding is some of the p***poor phraseology used.
I got the impression it was only things F1 you objected too! I'm not sure this is the best example of that, but I agree with you on this point. The standard of reporting is poor nowadays. When I read old Motorsports and to a lesser extent Autosports and Motoring News I see a much higher standard with much more reporting.
Old 14 Aug 2006, 10:59 (Ref:1682011)   #180
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, to that last sentence Adam, I'm just going to repeat my earlier post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Guys, 2 reasons, I believe:-

1) The vastly greater number of races and championships that take place now - something my eldest son pointed out when I mentioned the greater length and detail of Autosport race reports in earlier times. It would require a greatly increased number of pages at increased cost to issue and for us to buy. Impractical and probably almost impossible for a weekly with deadlines!

2) More cynically, may I suggest, reader's attention span. With everything electronic and 'instant' these days, most people, unless they are anoraks like us, just want headline stuff, not the detail, so that they can quickly move onto the next piece of news or activity that influences their own busy lives. Sad but true, I think!
Old 14 Aug 2006, 12:33 (Ref:1682136)   #181
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lol Andy that was great!
Old 14 Aug 2006, 13:15 (Ref:1682176)   #182
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Well, to that last sentence Adam, I'm just going to repeat my earlier post!
I see this and generally agree with the reasoning behind the change, although I tailed off towards the end
Old 14 Aug 2006, 13:44 (Ref:1682202)   #183
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
As a rule of thumb it seems that greens are given for:
First GP win (driver or constructor).
(First?) F1 Championship (driver)
Le Mans win (constructor)
World Rally Championship (driver)
Le Mans win (constructor).
Land Speed Records as well, I think. Not many of those around though.

There have been blue covers for Colin McRae and David Coulthard. Also for Ecurie Ecosse in the 50s? Which would add Le Mans entrants to the list.
Old 16 Aug 2006, 10:29 (Ref:1684022)   #184
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I can't remember the blue DC and Colin editions, but it rings a bell. That is fun.

The Ecurie Ecosse '56 and '57 wins had a green cover (I have them framed on the wall!). However they did a special blue edition just after one of the wins.

I thing LSR are worthy. Overall I think that the rules should be editors discretion, but those things listed are going to be certs in anyone's book.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 11:48 (Ref:1684936)   #185
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
JB career stats:
113 races
14 podiums
3 poles
198 points
1 win
319 covers
Now 320 covers.

This one looks a bad one. Graham, don't read it!
Old 17 Aug 2006, 17:35 (Ref:1685263)   #186
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Gruesome!

There is however an obvious commercial question which suggests itself - If Autosport are convinced enough that this is such a commercial opportunity for them to have presentred readers with almost 30 full pages of this stuff over the last two weeks then why haven't they produced a one-off Buttonsport special edition - Surely punters would shell out in their thousnads for it!?!
Old 17 Aug 2006, 21:47 (Ref:1685504)   #187
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is the most vile issue of Autosport I have ever read.

And that's just the cover.

Button: By The Men Who Made Him.

"From the start he had exceptional talent." Frank Williams

I mean, it's like he's won the bloody title!

Last edited by Knowlesy; 17 Aug 2006 at 22:11. Reason: Cataclysmic spelling error.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 22:06 (Ref:1685514)   #188
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well Knowlesy, what else do you expect from the magazine devoted to Jenson? And just Jenson. Flippin' heck. If he wins the title which is unlikely but anyway. I'm sure Autosport would tell the nation to make it national Button day.
Old 18 Aug 2006, 07:04 (Ref:1685702)   #189
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I saw the front cover and spent five minutes flicking through, deciding to read some of the nat & club reports, and then be done with it. I don't want to read all about Button - again!
Old 22 Aug 2006, 21:39 (Ref:1689134)   #190
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
yes but I think even with all the knocking going on here - we did all still read it - would joe punter buy a copy cos of button on the cover, certainly in the past damon hill on the cover would make the mag sell more copies.

But then that was when the mass media gave F1 a lot more coverage, buttonmania does not seem to have happened...

I wouldn't be suprised if thursdays cover was 'can jenson win it?' or 'Jenson: we stand no
Old 24 Aug 2006, 05:21 (Ref:1690094)   #191
Suze
Veteran

England
I'm looking to get in touch with someone through AS - someone who wrote a letter to them just over 14 years ago now, and again a few years back. I don't have their name but it's someone I want to get in contact with - any idea if AS keep the letters or if there's a good contact to go through?