Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 13 Dec 2015, 18:42 (Ref:3597528)   #101
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Any Help?

Found this reference to Ensign and Mo Nunn.

"His prototype Formula 3 car - the LNF1 - was built in a garage behind his house in Walsall. It was finished in November 1970, was tested that winter and appeared for the first time at Brands Hatch in March 1971 with Bev Bond finishing second in the first round of the British F3 series. It won the second and third rounds and a second version appeared for Steve Thompson in May. Later in the year Bond's car was sold to David Purley's Lec Refrigeration Team and a third car was built for Mike Walker. The cars were so successful that year that there was no shortage of customers in 1972 when Team Ensign ran Walker and Rikki von Opel in LNF3 chassis and several similar customer cars. Both Team Ensign drivers won races and customers David Purley and Colin Vandervell added to the score. There was also an LNF2 Formula 2 car which was driven by John Burton but without success."

http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/cref-nunmor.html

I frequently used to meet and chat with von Opel when testing at Brands in 1972. Very nice man.

Hope it assists.....
Old 13 Dec 2015, 20:43 (Ref:3597545)   #102
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that's wrong about one thing: surely Mike Walker drove the ex-Bond car and Purley's car was new.
Old 6 Mar 2016, 13:33 (Ref:3620549)   #103
RS250
Rookie

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
RS250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have just bought an Ensign LNF3 and I'm hoping the experts here may be able to help me with tracing some more of the cars history.
I believe the car may be one of Rikky von Opels cars from 1972 and i have some of the cars history dating back to approx 1988.
The chassis is stamped " LN11 AM72 LN11 F3" and is one of the earlier cars with the smaller radiators and the non removable chassis tube in the engine bay.
Thanks.

Ian.