Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Aug 2013, 19:54 (Ref:3286621)   #1
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Holden Local Manufacturing... GONE!! (Merged)

Now its holdens turn
http://www.news.com.au/business/the-...-1226692359323
Old 7 Aug 2013, 04:01 (Ref:3286733)   #2
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the items quoted in the Holden article are factual, then it goes a long way to explaining why local vehicle manufacturing is going down the gurgler. There is so much in there that many other employers/employees have had as their basic rules of employment for years. 40 minutes of paid breaks - really!!??

Comparison with the working conditions experienced in vehicle manufacture in other countries would be interesting. In particular I wonder if the US unions had to relinquish much when GM were restructuring while under Chapter 11.

Personally, I want Holden and Toyota to continue manufacturing locally and not become just Design and Engineering Centres like Ford will be. If Holden pull the pin, will there be enough business to keep the already suffering/downsizing OEM suppliers in business with just TMCA and the spare parts organisations as customers?

Yes, this might mean large dollars in Government support, but if the whingers and moaners realised how much foreign governments handed out in support per capita compared to ours, then maybe they would shut up .... naaah, they won't
Old 7 Aug 2013, 06:18 (Ref:3286764)   #3
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZedMikey View Post
Personally, I want Holden and Toyota to continue manufacturing locally and not become just Design and Engineering Centres like Ford will be. If Holden pull the pin, will there be enough business to keep the already suffering/downsizing OEM suppliers in business with just TMCA and the spare parts organisations as customers?
Unfortunately Ford's loss means the cost base out of those suppliers is already going to rise, putting more pressure on Holden and Toyota to be competitive.
Old 7 Aug 2013, 09:43 (Ref:3286838)   #4
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZedMikey View Post
If the items quoted in the Holden article are factual, then it goes a long way to explaining why local vehicle manufacturing is going down the gurgler. There is so much in there that many other employers/employees have had as their basic rules of employment for years. 40 minutes of paid breaks - really!!??

Comparison with the working conditions experienced in vehicle manufacture in other countries would be interesting. In particular I wonder if the US unions had to relinquish much when GM were restructuring while under Chapter 11.

Yes, this might mean large dollars in Government support, but if the whingers and moaners realised how much foreign governments handed out in support per capita compared to ours, then maybe they would shut up .... naaah, they won't

Some good points, but having worked at GMH fishermansbend, some years back, it is still controlled by North Americans, so no matter what the Govts do, the unions agree with, and the public buy, the North Americans will decide, and most likley like ford, shut down, and dump euro regulated cars and **** boxes from the north american market on us. After all they killed the Manaro,
Old 11 Aug 2013, 21:30 (Ref:3288536)   #5
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seen another article saying something about GM looking for more money, but would wait until after the election to make any big decisions
Old 13 Aug 2013, 00:11 (Ref:3289056)   #6
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
.......and Ford parties.

http://www.news.com.au/business/comp...-1226695930553
Old 13 Aug 2013, 01:29 (Ref:3289075)   #7
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wow $4m is a fair old party, if you were a lifer at Broady I dunno how you'd feel about that.
Old 13 Aug 2013, 01:38 (Ref:3289079)   #8
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Wow $4m is a fair old party, if you were a lifer at Broady I dunno how you'd feel about that.
No worries, our taxes paid for it.
Old 13 Aug 2013, 02:21 (Ref:3289085)   #9
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
No worries, our taxes paid for it.
On the flipside, I'm a business owner myself, I had to let an employee go earlier this year after losing a vendor, and I still spent money on marketing after that. Mind you I scaled down from 2 $50k trade shows to 2 $10k parties, but still...
Old 13 Aug 2013, 02:24 (Ref:3289086)   #10
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
On the flipside, I'm a business owner myself, I had to let an employee go earlier this year after losing a vendor, and I still spent money on marketing after that. Mind you I scaled down from 2 $50k trade shows to 2 $10k parties, but still...
But you paid for it yourself, out of your own "hard earned".........blokes like you are the salt of the earth........have a good one.
Old 13 Aug 2013, 18:52 (Ref:3289391)   #11
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is what happens when countries embrace follies like a tax on carbon.

Australia is just too expensive these days so I think GM will call it quits.
Old 13 Aug 2013, 23:20 (Ref:3289472)   #12
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
This is what happens when countries embrace follies like a tax on carbon.

Australia is just too expensive these days so I think GM will call it quits.
But all the greenie do-gooders have been telling us we need to be leaders in this area, and to show the rest of the world what needs to be done.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 01:48 (Ref:3289495)   #13
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
But all the greenie do-gooders have been telling us we need to be leaders in this area, and to show the rest of the world what needs to be done.
Yes and lose all the useful jobs along the way.

There are only so many jobs out there punching keyboards and pushing paper.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 02:29 (Ref:3289507)   #14
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Yes and lose all the useful jobs along the way.

There are only so many jobs out there punching keyboards and pushing paper.
Exactly........and the do-gooders don't realise how much more tax they will be paying for those out of work, they may even be unable to make their own mortgage repayments.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 04:00 (Ref:3289520)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Exactly........and the do-gooders don't realise how much more tax they will be paying for those out of work, they may even be unable to make their own mortgage repayments.
Do greenie do-gooders pay tax?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 14 Aug 2013, 04:10 (Ref:3289523)   #16
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Do greenie do-gooders pay tax?
Some do, but the ones that I know seem to be off in some "fiscal fairyland" where money grows on trees.
Old 16 Aug 2013, 09:09 (Ref:3290617)   #17
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
We've been world leaders in abolishing Tariff protection for more than a decade. How far has that got us?
Old 17 Aug 2013, 08:34 (Ref:3290905)   #18
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
We've been world leaders in abolishing Tariff protection for more than a decade. How far has that got us?
All the way to Centrelink.............
Old 18 Aug 2013, 00:07 (Ref:3291136)   #19
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
All the way to Centrelink.............
The company I worked for has been struggling ever since the tariff protection was removed and got even worse with the high Aussie dollar.........dangerous place to work now IMO.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 01:04 (Ref:3291899)   #20
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Holden has confirmed its ongoing commitment to V8 Supercars racing despite the current question marks over its future as a manufacturer in Australia.
http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/h...o-v8-supercars
Old 20 Aug 2013, 01:34 (Ref:3291912)   #21
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
Good to see Holden on the front foot about this...

Pity Ford hasn't done the same. Ford's $4m party will soon be forgotten, but if they quit V8s it will haunt their brand and PR efforts for many many years.
Old 24 Aug 2013, 02:13 (Ref:3293295)   #22
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rik View Post
Good to see Holden on the front foot about this...

Pity Ford hasn't done the same. Ford's $4m party will soon be forgotten, but if they quit V8s it will haunt their brand and PR efforts for many many years.
They do not utilise the PR aspect now so won't miss it. In fact I doubt that either Holden or Ford utilise it fully. When was the last Monday morning advert run in a newspaper or online trumpeting a Sunday victory? It used to be routine and expected that the winner would advertise the result full page in Monday's papers.
Old 25 Aug 2013, 23:47 (Ref:3293937)   #23
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i see more celebration from the Ford Racing Facebook page (based out of Dearborn I believe) than I do locally for any results in the V8's
Old 27 Aug 2013, 07:38 (Ref:3294571)   #24
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A positive photo for the local industry (cue Chev Badge on Holdens jokes).

Old 27 Aug 2013, 07:52 (Ref:3294580)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So now there is a second 'lucky country'

Here's hoping they sell in the US in enough numbers to keep the plant running at top speed
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House