Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 30 Oct 2001, 21:53 (Ref:167637)   #1
Invincible
Racer

New Zealand-Maori
Warrington
Invincible should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Richard Burns responsible for Possible Pug Pullout

Small article in Telegraph

Peugeot could be forced to ditch their BTCC team after their new WRC signing Richard Burns demaned £2 million in wages.

This dosen't sound right or good
Old 31 Oct 2001, 00:17 (Ref:167715)   #2
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was Peugeot's choice to pay Richard Burns that amount of money, so it is obvious that they weren't all that serious about the BTCC anyway. With a number of 406s already built, what is to stop Pug UK backing some of this years cars.
Old 31 Oct 2001, 08:40 (Ref:167803)   #3
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think there must be some serious egg on faces and head rolling behind the scenes at Pug, after what was a year of ritual slaughter for them in the BTCC.

The 406 was patently a fundamentally flawed car, as despite whatever VLR threw at it, the pace did not improve significantly. The only real pace they found was winding the engine up to warp factor nine, which simply meant it blew and didn't finish the race.

I genuinely believe that VLR was far too complacent. They blitzed national saloons but of course they were the only works team amongst a sea of pure privateers and amateurs, so they were bound to win.

They only had one 'factory' car to beat in the BTCC and failed to even reach its pace let alone beat it. I am sure there are still plenty of people at Pug that remember their last expensive BTCC disaster and maybe see a continuing repeat of it.

Even if they do stick, I can't see them running the 406 again, they coundn't get it on the pace of the heavily ballasted Astra's, and with more development on the Astra over the winter, plus no weight penalty for the start of the season, I can't see much hope.

Its either start again with the 307 or forget it. IMHO
Old 31 Oct 2001, 09:06 (Ref:167808)   #4
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Eddie_harasym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree with you there ST, I think the 406 was definatly the wrong car for the regs. A pukka 307 I think would stand a much better chance against a already developed Astra.

It would be difficult to see many priveteer entrants wanting to run the 406 either, as there would be much more development work still needed.

I hope Pug do Plug on with the series, and not let a trying first year and an overpaid rally driver ruin would could be.
Old 31 Oct 2001, 11:03 (Ref:167839)   #5
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

That just what we need. Thanx alot Rchard burns. Just when it looked like the BTCC was getting really strong this happens. i hope Burns flops next season. Hopefully Peugeot UK will have enough money to run a 307 or 306 next season. The 307 didn't race this season as the road car wasn't ready.
Old 31 Oct 2001, 12:25 (Ref:167861)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
In fairness, Richard is only asking for a salary comparable with F1 and the cars are nowhere near as safe to drive!

Nuff sed.
Old 31 Oct 2001, 18:14 (Ref:167997)   #7
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope Pug's pullout, if true, does not douse the interest of the other manufacturers interested in the BTCC. OTOH, this could very well be the case!!
Old 31 Oct 2001, 20:25 (Ref:168046)   #8
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Eddie_harasym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thing Pug have got to ask themselves and really all manufacturers who get involved in motorsport, paying a driver 2mill add, to that the cars (Several in WRC) a co driver, team support etc, then you have a hefty bill.

But.....

Do Pug sing it from the rooftops when they are winning?, I don't really recall many adds on TV etc when a manufacturer wins a series.

Take the Griff this year,

Do they run a TV add saying they won the series outright? NO

They never seem to make any association to the Motorsport activities and the road cars? Seems stupid to me. I suppose thier is the 888 coupe though, but I bet if you went to your local Vauxhall dealer and asked about the car spec, theyd say what?
Old 1 Nov 2001, 00:35 (Ref:168181)   #9
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they do make a large fuss. they put huge whole page ads in then national papers. this is both cheaper and is more likely to be seen by potential buyers.

whenever peugeot win a rally they have a pic of the car during the rally and a caption sayin "Peugeot 206 winner of (insert rally here)

vauxhall ran a half page ad that had the road car stood in shallow water and the reflection was one of the tourers.
Old 1 Nov 2001, 12:53 (Ref:168313)   #10
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Peugeot pull out, what will happen to Dan Eaves? could he go to MG if they field a 3rd car? or maybe Proton? Or would Proton want drivers from the far east?
Old 1 Nov 2001, 14:17 (Ref:168333)   #11
runnyhunny
Racer

runnyhunny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's sad that Peugeot are even considering pulling out. The 406 coupe got *so* close to the Astras that, surely, with a whole winter to do R&D, then could have a front-running car...

According to Autosport, it is highly likely that Peugeot will pull out of the BTCC. Confirmation is expected tomorrow (Friday).

Dan Eaves? My understanding is that he is a 'Peugeot driver'. He may drive for them elsewhere, or in, say, an HTML 'ex-works' team. Or maybe Peugeot will let him go?

Sadly, I don't see Steve Soper going to another team. I'd love to see him in the BTCC next year, but it doesn't seem very likely...
Old 1 Nov 2001, 16:47 (Ref:168377)   #12
MJB RETURNS
Racer

MJB RETURNS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i remember earlyer in the year that pug would do every thing to win a race but its sad if money ruin there progess.you cant blame burns.i think he would look after his career then care what would happen with pugs money.you probley would if u was him!
Old 1 Nov 2001, 16:49 (Ref:168379)   #13
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
Radisichrox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't understand it. Why would Peugeot want to pull out? Didn't they win the DTM with Laurent Aiello with the 406?? Steve Soper is equally talented as Laurent, and given a good car, is insanely quick, as you all know. Shesh.. :confused:
Old 1 Nov 2001, 16:59 (Ref:168385)   #14
MJB RETURNS
Racer

bad luck hangs round soper this year like flys hanging round dog s***
Old 1 Nov 2001, 17:13 (Ref:168400)   #15
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am sure Vic Lee et al looked at 888's somewhat patchy record at producing a race winning car and getting it right on the race day (prior to 2001) and thought they would P**s the BTCC.

Oh dear.... I also disagree with those who think the 406 can be turned into a race winner - they've wrung every last ounce of speed out of that car and tried everything and its still a mile off the 'real' pace.

When a true privateer team (TMSR) can build and run a car on half a shoestring and get it onto the pace of the pug's, (plus a bit more) that show's how poor the 406 really was.
Old 1 Nov 2001, 17:15 (Ref:168402)   #16
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
1997 the 406 was almost always on the pace and in the top 10. Tim Harvey finished 2nd twice in that car.
Old 1 Nov 2001, 17:25 (Ref:168408)   #17
MJB RETURNS
Racer

patrick watts did a much better job years before that in a pug.couple of rounds in a row he was right near the front.if they do keep this years car, then they can learn from mistakes and keep hacking away at it.remember it took menu 5 years to win the title and he kept at it.it would b terrible if pug give up
Old 1 Nov 2001, 17:34 (Ref:168410)   #18
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
Yeah, but that pug was the 405, a totally different car.
Old 1 Nov 2001, 17:58 (Ref:168421)   #19
MJB RETURNS
Racer

true, but same team.
Old 1 Nov 2001, 18:25 (Ref:168427)   #20
AlrightTreacle?
Rookie

AlrightTreacle? should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not the case of Pug pulling out, its the case of Pug France not giving the necessary money to Pug UK.