Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 Sep 2002, 12:41 (Ref:382439)   #1
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Queensland Raceway

I don't know what it was, whether it was one of the better races we have had in a while, whether i felt sorry for the way they have been shafted by TC, but for the first time watching the QLD500 i actually thought to myself that i don't really mind the track.

I have been fairly critical of it in the past, but watching it on sunday i was thinking it isn't all that bad. It is a pretty fast track, not mickey mouse like alot we have now, 4 passing opportunities in 6 corners ain't bad, i mean if it had some hills and elevation changes it would be similiar to the Brand Hatch Indy circuit or the Oran Park South circuit.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 21:51 (Ref:382853)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agreed. At first I didn't think too much of it, but it has definately grown on me. There aren't too many tracks where you can safely run 3-4 wide, it's safe, and there are plenty of opportunities for drivers to have a guy. I must admit i've seen overtaking on all six corners, and of course it is good for spectators...
Old 17 Sep 2002, 22:55 (Ref:382911)   #3
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's face it Crash - it has to grow on you up there - it's the only track you have left really
Old 17 Sep 2002, 23:13 (Ref:382930)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hey hey, we've got lots to do up here! Morgan Park starts up this weekend, there's the hillclimbs and a heap of sprints too!
Old 17 Sep 2002, 23:56 (Ref:382955)   #5
PEPSI
Racer

PEPSI should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe it has something to do with the uncertainties of an enduro but it is amazing how such a simple track always provides such an exciting spectacle

I do think it has more to do with the mix of fast and slow corners and as Crash said, it is gloriously wide and safe which gives drivers the confidence to have a go.
Old 18 Sep 2002, 00:03 (Ref:382962)   #6
RaceTime
Veteran

But still get pinged for drive-throughs
Old 18 Sep 2002, 00:40 (Ref:382984)   #7
rpolinski
Racer

Australia
rpolinski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
in his original reply crash wrote " and there are plenty of opportunities for drivers to have a guy". Well that's going to get the rumours going. I always thought that Garth Tander/ Leanne Ferrier thing was just for show.
Old 18 Sep 2002, 01:01 (Ref:382991)   #8
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
LOL... what was I thinkning??

I don't want to have a lawsuit on my plate, but I can tell ya one driver has trouble deciding which team to bat for...

Back to QR, the thing is that you can easily set a car up- if they block you on the way into a corner, it's easy to get back at them on the exit etc. It's a HP circuit, but if you're techniquly correct, you can go all right. The drivers seem to like the shorter circuits at a state championships etc, plus they are much easier on brakes and things.
Old 18 Sep 2002, 01:08 (Ref:382995)   #9
silvervsix
Racer

silvervsix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really like the track it is great to watch all the action and you can over take on it. How many other tracks at the moment can the cars overtake on??
A track doesn't need a hill or a few bumps to be a good track it needs a nice design that allows the cars to flow and a chance for overtaking. That is a good track
Old 18 Sep 2002, 02:13 (Ref:383017)   #10
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry, but I still don't like it much.
Old 18 Sep 2002, 03:40 (Ref:383036)   #11
wishbone
Racer

wishbone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish they would do someting about pit wall so all the teams can see what the hell is going on out on the track. the wall is just way to high.
Old 18 Sep 2002, 04:15 (Ref:383048)   #12
RaceTime
Veteran

You obviously haven't been to Winton lately, have you?
Old 19 Sep 2002, 09:53 (Ref:383975)   #13
TMS
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
TMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was very critical of QR at first, however it put on a great race and there was passing....yes passing. Crash, the drivers themselves said it is one of the harder tracks to get a setup working. It is more technical than it appears. Why weren't cars like lowdnes up there? They were still makign alrge changes to the car before the race desperatly searching for speed.
Old 19 Sep 2002, 10:01 (Ref:383982)   #14
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
00 Motorsport have struggled all year with qualifying setup - they're race pace is generally pretty decent, just they can't figure it out in qualifying??? Lowndesy doesn't belong in 17th place...

Regarding QR, Lakeside will always be #1 for me by a long way. QR is out of the way, flat, uninspiring, bumpy and drab, but strangely it's starting to grow on me, and it's got a decent atmosphere.
Old 19 Sep 2002, 10:42 (Ref:384008)   #15
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Sorry, what I meant is that it is easy to set a car up for a passing move.

General car set up is generally a bit of a wobbly one, because the track behaves very differently depending on morning/afternoon, hot/cold, green/grippy. Often what works one day will be hopeless the next...
Old 19 Sep 2002, 12:44 (Ref:384116)   #16
Rhys_00
Racer

Rhys_00 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i know why u all suddenly like QR -- well me anyway...
HRT blew their motor and didnt run away with yet another round win. Only bad thing now is, in my opinion, they will be too careful to have it happen to them at mt panorama.
Old 20 Sep 2002, 12:58 (Ref:384801)   #17
Madman
Rookie

Madman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
QR may not be the most exciting circuit in Aus but it does create good racing because you can actually pass people. Maybe thats why TC wants to get rid of it, They actually had a race on the weekend.