Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Jul 2007, 07:53 (Ref:1963436)   #51
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I thought it was illegal to run an MGB under 2L ?

I'm, understandably I think, not excited by the 6 hour yet, got a clubbie race in Sussex to do first, come 3rd September I'll be in full swing though
Old 16 Jul 2007, 07:01 (Ref:1964119)   #52
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh no!! so does that mean I,ve got to build another engine?.Is a 2.1 legal for this Zef.?
Old 16 Jul 2007, 09:04 (Ref:1964198)   #53
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
a little on the small side but as long as it pulls up Eu ROuge in Top I think you'll get away with it Terence
Old 16 Jul 2007, 14:09 (Ref:1964454)   #54
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No problem there then!. Think I,ll keep it as is.
Old 17 Jul 2007, 07:32 (Ref:1965387)   #55
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Apologies, I see that the link I posted above is in fact last year's details. According to the website the 2007 event isn't posted yet.
Old 17 Jul 2007, 08:03 (Ref:1965414)   #56
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I,m sorry Peter,Vincent sent me a list of events,it is,nt published yet!
Old 18 Jul 2007, 13:47 (Ref:1966563)   #57
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Completely changing the topic of this thread but still relevant I feel, is the dwindling number of single seater races taking place at this event year on year. Its regarded as one of the prime events of the season and the content is becoming to be races by different organisers catering for pretty much the same type of cars and vying for the same piece of pie.ie. 60's sports cars and saloons. The result of this is an event made up of monotonous content with the only differing factor between a large %age of races being the tyres used.

A few years ago as well as the various but less numerous sports/saloon races (not including the 6hours) there were races for Historic f2, HGPCA,FJ, FF and sometimes HF1. Granted FJ have a race there this year but other than that there aren't many opportunities for us single seater pedallers to race at Spa. You guys with roofs on your cars don't know how priviliged you are, there will be a race catering for your needs at this meeting come what may, whether its an MGB with a 2.1 on slicks or a genuine FIA!!
Old 18 Jul 2007, 14:45 (Ref:1966597)   #58
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Seeing as most of the race,s are Masters,have you asked them for a reason?.I know what you mean though,there did used to be a very good mixture of races.
Old 18 Jul 2007, 17:22 (Ref:1966699)   #59
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
as I said elsewhere, there seems to be 2 meetings at spa, summer, open wheels, autumnal, closed wheel . . . . .
Old 18 Jul 2007, 20:36 (Ref:1966882)   #60
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That summer meeting (RMU Classic) has become almost a modern event with some VdV Racing and other mixed stuff going on.

The reason that there are less single seaters at the 6H could well be the big accidents they had over the years with them.
Spa is known for dropping things that could bring them into problems.
Old 19 Jul 2007, 08:15 (Ref:1967213)   #61
James Murray
Racer

The summer event which last year took place in July is no longer. I know not of any other opportunities to race a historic single seater at Spa apart from an FJ at 6hours but could be wrong.

So far as accidents are concerned EddyV I don't agree. There has been endless discussion about the accidents in closed wheel races at the 6hours meeting on this forum, and the cause attributed to tyres, spec of car and woeful driving from what I can interpret. There's no rememedy for drivers brain fade however I think there's an argument to say there's less crashes in single seaters because the drivers have a lot more respect for each other as any contact usually ends up with more severe consequences than with closed wheel cars.

That's not to say accidents don't happen of course. I lent my own car to my dear uncle in 2002 which resulted in him being ambulanced to Liege hospital with broken ribs and burns, and no it wasnt raining.
Old 19 Jul 2007, 08:17 (Ref:1967214)   #62
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
James,

I suspect the lack of a July race this year is due to the circuit changes. A number of regular events were canned.
Old 19 Jul 2007, 08:27 (Ref:1967222)   #63
James Murray
Racer

Possibly Peter although I heard on the grapevine that the organiser (can't remember who it was) didn't want to organise another meeting as it was too much hassle but could be wrong.

I still think there's scope for a couple more single seater races being incoorporated into the 6hours event like there used to be, and not to the detriment of the closed wheel drivers as there's plenty of races for those cars as previoulsy mentioned.

I guess it's down tothe organiser at the end of the day though and they have the choice to steer it in any direction they wish.
Old 19 Jul 2007, 11:11 (Ref:1967328)   #64
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Murray
Possibly Peter although I heard on the grapevine that the organiser (can't remember who it was) didn't want to organise another meeting as it was too much hassle but could be wrong.
I still think there's scope for a couple more single seater races being incoorporated into the 6hours event like there used to be, and not to the detriment of the closed wheel drivers as there's plenty of races for those cars as previoulsy mentioned.
I think the HSCC race(s) next year will be for single seaters again. It was always for single seaters up until 2006 when the closed cars were given a chance. It's closed cars again this year but I believe will alternate with single seaters thereafter. I think this is fair to cover all the HSCC categories.

By the way, I did a track day at Spa in early June, the first eveny, I believe, on the new circuit. The new chicane is a lot tighter than the old bus-stop with the first right hander turning more than 90 degrees with adverse camber at the turn-in, then an adverse camber tight left on to the pit straight. Interestingly, the pit road entrance is between the right and left turns! I think lap times will be up a couple of seconds.
Peter

Last edited by John Turner; 19 Jul 2007 at 16:26.
Old 26 Jul 2007, 08:42 (Ref:1973689)   #65
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've not been able to open the Roadbook website and find a programme, does anyone whether HSCC have got their races? If so, what the programme might be? I failed to keep my TR5 running that long into the season last year, and raced with Jonathon Rushton in his Morgan, but I'm determined to go this year, if the programme is similar to last year. Just the HSCC races for me though - might be happy to 'pit' for someone in the 6 Hours depending on how my own programme looks.

James Owen
Old 26 Jul 2007, 10:54 (Ref:1973807)   #66
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
TorqueWench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRSTR5
I've not been able to open the Roadbook website and find a programme, does anyone whether HSCC have got their races? If so, what the programme might be? I failed to keep my TR5 running that long into the season last year, and raced with Jonathon Rushton in his Morgan, but I'm determined to go this year, if the programme is similar to last year. Just the HSCC races for me though - might be happy to 'pit' for someone in the 6 Hours depending on how my own programme looks.

James Owen
Classic Sports Car Club has a half hour quali and one hour race at Spa on 20/21 October this year for pre-81 sports and saloons for 1 or 2 drivers, including dinner on Sat night at £345. (This is an ADAC Meeting). All those not going to Daytona (cars will be on high seas) are welcome as long as you are registered in Swinging 60s or Future Classics Series with the Club (£95 for year total)

Also, repeat race next year on 18 May weekend (with Alain Defalle & Classic Liege)

Old 27 Jul 2007, 15:25 (Ref:1974781)   #67
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Torquewrench. What exactly has your post to do with the spa 6hrs which takes place on 5th to 7th October 2007?

Booked my ferry tickets yesterday.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 15:55 (Ref:1974820)   #68
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Which route are you going Peter and how much if you don't mind me asking?
Best I've found is Norfolk Line to Dieppe (I think) for £130 although I think we may settle for Dover Calais.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 16:07 (Ref:1974827)   #69
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
£146.00 Seafrance Dover/Calais.
Old 28 Jul 2007, 06:43 (Ref:1975137)   #70
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
we usually forgoe the displeasure of boats, diesel whiffs and queueing with the great unwashed, and use the tunnel

costs an extra £50 or so but saves hours both ways, and itsimpossible to feel sick on a train
Old 28 Jul 2007, 07:45 (Ref:1975162)   #71
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I looked and its £120.00 extra and I like the relaxed approach.
Old 28 Jul 2007, 20:02 (Ref:1975418)   #72
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
The cheapest I could find for the tunnel was 2 day return tickets at £98 each 3 or 4 days apart, cheapest way of doing it properly is £240.
Old 28 Jul 2007, 20:32 (Ref:1975426)   #73
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
cheapest way of doing it properly is £240.
If I was on Overseas 'Mallet' Wonga I could afford that
Old 30 Jul 2007, 17:26 (Ref:1976527)   #74
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not being able to race a "historic" single seater at spa?. I will race my RF80 and Swift88 at Spa next weekend. nice weekend organised by ADAC.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 12:40 (Ref:1977206)   #75
James Murray
Racer

Can you get a 7.5 ton truck on the tunnel train?

Esper I think it depends possibly on your interpretation of historic single seater. I wouldnt classify a Swift 88 historic! My point was that the 6hours event used to cater for almost all historic cars whether open or closed wheels that were pre 80ish. In its current format its predominantely for sports and saloons apart from F1 Masters and HFJ.

I really don't know why I'm making this point as my dad has an HFJ so I can go anyway! Was just making an observation after all I guess.