Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 30 Dec 2007, 19:46 (Ref:2096707)   #51
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
not its not... theres a new Impreza due too. And the small matter of F1, could be anything. But it would be nice if it was Aston.
Old 30 Dec 2007, 19:47 (Ref:2096711)   #52
aeroehl
Racer

United States
aeroehl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, what is the NEC?
Old 30 Dec 2007, 19:47 (Ref:2096712)   #53
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's also a Vantage GT2 yet to be unveiled, although I'd assume they'd announce both at the same time.
Old 30 Dec 2007, 19:48 (Ref:2096714)   #54
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 plans are on hold for now I think. Yes it could be the new Impreza but the WRC is struggling right now, the Aston has to be favourite. IMO.
Old 30 Dec 2007, 21:10 (Ref:2096753)   #55
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroehl
Sorry, what is the NEC?
National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham UK, its where the Autosport show takes place every early January.....organised by the Autosport magazine.....its the biggest and most significant UK motorsports exhibition.

Last edited by knighty; 30 Dec 2007 at 21:12.
Old 31 Dec 2007, 01:46 (Ref:2096869)   #56
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty
National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham UK, its where the Autosport show takes place every early January.....organised by the Autosport magazine.....its the biggest and most significant UK motorsports exhibition.
As you can tell by the prices...you can go to the show, but you won't eat for a month.

Why are we ASSUMING that Aston will make this P1? Just playing devil's advocate, but it could be anyone!
Old 31 Dec 2007, 02:30 (Ref:2096888)   #57
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
As you can tell by the prices...you can go to the show, but you won't eat for a month.

Why are we ASSUMING that Aston will make this P1? Just playing devil's advocate, but it could be anyone!
because rdjones (at least I think it was him) got an email saying: Lola Coupe V12 ...
Old 31 Dec 2007, 02:36 (Ref:2096890)   #58
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
Which means only Aston Martin, Maserati, Ferrari, or Lamborghini. The last three aren't likely at all, which leaves just Aston Martin. And they already have a historic connection to Lola, especially in coupes.

I believe Lola also played a part in the old Nimrods.
Old 31 Dec 2007, 02:48 (Ref:2096891)   #59
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well there does seem to be a lot of factors pointing towards Aston Martin, lets just hope that it is Aston Martin or indeed any manufacturer.
Old 31 Dec 2007, 06:59 (Ref:2096961)   #60
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359
I believe Lola also played a part in the old Nimrods.
The Nimrods were based on the T70 chassis.
Old 31 Dec 2007, 07:15 (Ref:2096964)   #61
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
Interesting, 'Wikipedia' would suggest otherwise. I'd always understood the Nimrod to have far closer links to the T70.

Last edited by Bentley03; 31 Dec 2007 at 07:21.
Old 31 Dec 2007, 07:26 (Ref:2096967)   #62
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
the T70 seems to be an old chassis to base an 80s cars on. if it's not Porsche that is ...

Ciao Marco
Old 31 Dec 2007, 14:22 (Ref:2097092)   #63
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think you may be confusing the Lola Aston Martins of the late 60's with the Nimrods of the early 80's.. The former were, essentially, Mk1 T70's with Aston engines.. 2 or 3 built.. The Nimrods were proto Gp C chassis' built on the lola T600 chassis.. The engines were the same Aston V8's
Old 31 Dec 2007, 16:40 (Ref:2097153)   #64
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by David L
I think you may be confusing the Lola Aston Martins of the late 60's with the Nimrods of the early 80's.. The former were, essentially, Mk1 T70's with Aston engines.. 2 or 3 built.. The Nimrods were proto Gp C chassis' built on the lola T600 chassis.. The engines were the same Aston V8's
Well, you may be right, but my understanding has always been that Eric Broadley based his design for the T385 on the T70.
Old 31 Dec 2007, 17:01 (Ref:2097160)   #65
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
because rdjones (at least I think it was him) got an email saying: Lola Coupe V12 ...
That is correct, my source is very much in the know.
Old 31 Dec 2007, 17:56 (Ref:2097197)   #66
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David L
Pretty sure the Nimrod shared only a small amount in design terms with either car. It was not as simple as a Lola T600 with an Aston motor dropped in, and would be closer to the T70 in concept than the T600 series

It was a great effort, I think James Hunt may have driven the car on its press debut at Goodwood. Shame he never drove it in a race, as I think it would have raised its profile a bit and may have helped to generate much needed cash. The cars made a terrific sound looked great.

Its interesting when you read the Wikipedia site that the EMKA car is reported as the European factory team. As that is clearly wrong I would not rely to much on the info given there.
Old 31 Dec 2007, 23:41 (Ref:2097305)   #67
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
Its interesting when you read the Wikipedia site that the EMKA car is reported as the European factory team. As that is clearly wrong I would not rely to much on the info given there.
That would actually be my mistake as I wrote the article. I meant to imply that EMKA raced solely in WSC/Europe, while Nimrod Racing moved to IMSA/North America.
Old 1 Jan 2008, 03:51 (Ref:2097392)   #68
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is this too much of a diversion from the topic at hand?

Chris
Old 1 Jan 2008, 15:04 (Ref:2097581)   #69
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There maybe a little twist in the story here, I have just had a further e-mail from my contact who tells that this car might not be for a manufacturer but it might be for a team who raced in LMP1 last year....
Old 1 Jan 2008, 15:11 (Ref:2097583)   #70
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
There maybe a little twist in the story here, I have just had a further e-mail from my contact who tells that this car might not be for a manufacturer but it might be for a team who raced in LMP1 last year....
Charouz, for example?
Old 1 Jan 2008, 15:30 (Ref:2097588)   #71
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones

Bit confused now,

Do you mean the car Lola are supposed to be making for Prodrive, so Prodrive could slot in an Aston motor and call an Aston DBR-P1 (or whatever) and race themselves, could in fact be going from Lola to Prodrive then onto another team, (maybe Charouz) to race with or without an Aston engine?

Or is it going to bypass Prodrive and then it wouold become 'just' another prototype and have nothing to do with Aston or Prodrive.
Old 1 Jan 2008, 15:42 (Ref:2097596)   #72
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
Bit confused now,

Do you mean the car Lola are supposed to be making for Prodrive, so Prodrive could slot in an Aston motor and call an Aston DBR-P1 (or whatever) and race themselves, could in fact be going from Lola to Prodrive then onto another team, (maybe Charouz) to race with or without an Aston engine?

Or is it going to bypass Prodrive and then it wouold become 'just' another prototype and have nothing to do with Aston or Prodrive.
I think the suggestion is that this would be an 'engine deal' for an existing LMP1 team (either leased, like the Audi/Swiss Spirit deal or a full works backed/funded deal along the lines of the Creation/Aim deal).
Old 1 Jan 2008, 19:25 (Ref:2097687)   #73
Zytek_Fan
Racer

United States
Zytek_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Knowing Prodrive, they would probably heavily modify their Lola chassis
Old 1 Jan 2008, 20:37 (Ref:2097708)   #74
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Or take the Acura route of starting with the Lola base and modifying to suit the engine and then include a few exterior cues of the AM street cars. Hoping it is the announcement, when is the Autosport show?
Old 1 Jan 2008, 20:43 (Ref:2097712)   #75
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well, you may be right, but my understanding has always been that Eric Broadley based his design for the T385 on the T70.
No, the T385 (the Nimrod Chassis) was based on the, then current, T600..

This is reasonably well documented and I have quickly checked two published reference sources since writing my original post..

The T70 link seems to be that various people likened the project, at the time, to it being an "update" of the works Astons of 1967, which were, as we know, basically the works T70's.. But it was the project iyself which was being likened to the T70, not the actual car itself..