Home Forum News Cookbook F1 Predictions FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising IRC Chat  
Site Partners: Rally Ads Racing24 SpotterGuides Downforce Radio MotorsportAds MotorsTV (Sky 447) » 25-11 11:05 : EUROCUP CLIO SEASON REVIEW  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Feb 2011, 03:03   #46
Mark Petch
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 614
Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
I don't think it is as straightforward as that - I understand that quiet recently TMC/MSNZ have inadvertently lost their hold over the NZV8s. NZV8s Limited is no longer majority owned by TMC. All the TMC directors have resigned and the company is now 100% owned by VEEGA.
Roger, you are correct NZV8's Ltd is today 100% owned by VEEGA.

However the majority of the VEEGA teams/shareholders voted to enter into a contractual agreement with TMC, A/because they wanted certainty, and B/ because the word Championship means a lot to some folk.

TMC owns the promotional rights to all MSNZ motor racing championships.

60% of TMC is own by MSNZ, so its a very close relationship between the two entities, the circuit owning clubs own the rest of the shares.

So really its game set, and match, the majority rules again, which is why the current NZV8 category must run under TMC.

The V8 Supertourers Series however, is a non MSNZ sanctioned, and as such controls its own destiny. The series also run in one calendar year, with a winter break, so theoretically speaking there is room for both Series.

The public in the end will be the final arbitrator of who offers the best bang for buck.

Mark Petch,
CEO, V8 SUPERTOURERS LIMITED.

Last edited by Mark Petch; 28 Feb 2011 at 03:06. Reason: mistake
Mark Petch is offline  
Old 28 Feb 2011, 13:44   #47
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran
 
Woolley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
England
Wolverhampton, England
Posts: 11,247
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How does insurance work for marshals and officials if you're running outside MSNZ? (I'm assuming that, like the MSA here, MSNZ provides cover). Can they be assured of being adequately protected?
Woolley is offline  
__________________
Bill Bryson: It is no longer permitted to be stupid and slow. You must choose one or the other.
Old 28 Feb 2011, 18:01   #48
RogerH
Racer
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
New Zealand
Auckland
Posts: 428
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
How does insurance work for marshals and officials if you're running outside MSNZ? (I'm assuming that, like the MSA here, MSNZ provides cover). Can they be assured of being adequately protected?
I would assume that the entity running the non-MSNZ series would take out comprehensive insurance cover. Our club run a number events under MSNZ but we have been advised by our insurance broker that if we ran an event outside of MSNZ, cover would be readily available and reasonably affordable. From memory an cover extension covering injury or death of officials (plus other things) was a premium of about NZ$330.
I would think the Supertourer guys have worked out that despite what MSNZ infer, MSNZ (and FIA) doesn't hold a monopoly over motorsport in New Zealand.
RogerH is offline  
Old 28 Feb 2011, 19:00   #49
Southern Man
Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
New Zealand
Posts: 572
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am interested to know two things, which circuits are they going to run at and on what dates.
Southern Man is offline  
Old 28 Feb 2011, 23:28   #50
harcey
Racer
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 211
harcey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
I would assume that the entity running the non-MSNZ series would take out comprehensive insurance cover. Our club run a number events under MSNZ but we have been advised by our insurance broker that if we ran an event outside of MSNZ, cover would be readily available and reasonably affordable. From memory an cover extension covering injury or death of officials (plus other things) was a premium of about NZ$330.
I would think the Supertourer guys have worked out that despite what MSNZ infer, MSNZ (and FIA) doesn't hold a monopoly over motorsport in New Zealand.
Well this is just what NZ motorsport needs right now(NOT).
the cars look great and is needed for the future but surely it needs to be done with the all factions working together.we have small f/ford.gt3 porsche and production/mini fields this year trying to support nz V8, with utes and suzuki numbers only acceptable.
I remember the Abbott inspired TV winter series for fords and tranzam lites many years ago.ZERO crowds and TV only which eventually died as drivers realised they couldnt just put TV coverage to sponsors and guarantee backing.(i ran a number of cars back then).
Crowds this year at Tier 1 have been very average to say the least and i dont believe the quality of racing is to blame,and now we can dilute the scene even more by splitting the NZV8 ranks--i dont think 13 or 14 of the current cars is going to cut it next season.Porsche looks like its all over for the time being and formula ford is hanging by its finger tips.
having seen a lot of tier 2 and below events this season its not all rosy there either numbers wise!!.
So maybe we can look forward to 12 or 13 oversize club meetings covering a 12 month period.
From all accounts there seems to have been a major convergence of EGO's with the whole new car project which isnt resolved and probably wont be.
harcey is offline  
Old 1 Mar 2011, 01:33   #51
mountainstar
Veteran
 
mountainstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
United States
Posts: 6,636
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcey View Post
Well this is just what NZ motorsport needs right now(NOT).
the cars look great and is needed for the future but surely it needs to be done with the all factions working together.we have small f/ford.gt3 porsche and production/mini fields this year trying to support nz V8, with utes and suzuki numbers only acceptable.
I remember the Abbott inspired TV winter series for fords and tranzam lites many years ago.ZERO crowds and TV only which eventually died as drivers realised they couldnt just put TV coverage to sponsors and guarantee backing.(i ran a number of cars back then).
Crowds this year at Tier 1 have been very average to say the least and i dont believe the quality of racing is to blame,and now we can dilute the scene even more by splitting the NZV8 ranks--i dont think 13 or 14 of the current cars is going to cut it next season.Porsche looks like its all over for the time being and formula ford is hanging by its finger tips.
having seen a lot of tier 2 and below events this season its not all rosy there either numbers wise!!.
So maybe we can look forward to 12 or 13 oversize club meetings covering a 12 month period.
From all accounts there seems to have been a major convergence of EGO's with the whole new car project which isnt resolved and probably wont be.
I'm sure if it was back in 2007, it would be fine, but I think the economy is a drag and will be for a long time to come. I think the ChCh earthquake is going to have long running ramifications that will reverberate through the economy. I'd guess that a large chunk of Tier 1 runners are funding their racing efforts off the back of their business or business associates rather than outright commercial sponsorship and when times are tougher, non essential things like motorsport are going to get the whack.

I think big EGO's are one of those things in motorsport that has gotten old for me, lots of people that have to have control and fight over stuff fans couldn't care about. While I think the new car is the way to go, I do wonder whether people can either afford it now or want to afford it or if they are willing to pare off into an unknown setting outside of the normal summer championships. Potentially you could have some car owners content to run the old dogs for eternity and some content with the new series. So you end up with 12 here and 12 there and everyone is nowhere.

I do however feel national FIA organizations have no business promoting motor racing championships. I see their role as benevolent overseers focused on safety and licensing and other minutiae. I see them as a non profit entity focused on assisting all those involved in the sport, not putting their credibility at stake taking sides in commercial racing championships and tracks.
mountainstar is offline  
__________________
Wolverines!
Old 1 Mar 2011, 04:33   #52
RogerH
Racer
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
New Zealand
Auckland
Posts: 428
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I'
I do however feel national FIA organizations have no business promoting motor racing championships. I see their role as benevolent overseers focused on safety and licensing and other minutiae. I see them as a non profit entity focused on assisting all those involved in the sport, not putting their credibility at stake taking sides in commercial racing championships and tracks.
Gee mountainstar you have hit the nail right on the head!

One of the problems with the TMC run Tier 1 series is the cost it imparts on the remaining 95%+ of MSNZ competitors who end up paying for MSNZ's involvement in effectively promoting commercial motorsport. MSNZ have a majority (60%) interest in TMC but the deal is that MSNZ can not get any profit share or dividend in return for it's investment. Tier 1 is struggling with around 100 entrants per meeting. It is probably loosing money and at the end of the day MSNZ members will no doubt carry the can. MSNZ grants TMC around $90,000 pa plus other non cash benefits. As a result of all of this entrants end up paying more than they should - licence fees, permit fees etc etc. A normal club meeting will pay MSNZ about $5000 for permit fees and levies for each event and the entrants end up paying for this with their entry fees. Does the meeting get $5000 of value from MSNZ? Why is a MSNZ competition licence $135 per year when the NZ VCC can issue a FIA competition licence for $23 for five years? Does MSNZ need to "tax" entrants to help support it's commercial venture?
Is it reasonable that such a small component of motorsport (Tier 1) gets so much input from MSNZ in order to support a commercial exposure? Is there a message when Tier 1 get such small grids and the likes of the Chris Amon Festival gets four times the number of entrants and probably much bigger crowds and essentially get no help from MSNZ?
Mountainstar is dead right, the likes of MSNZ should stick to what the are meant to do and leave the commerciality to others. They can sell the rights to championship events but don't expose members to financial risk by trying to be an series or championship promoter.
If the Supertourer guys can package up a more attractive deal that attracts the top teams, drivers and sponsors then they will attract the crowds - that's how the market works. The crowds are ambivalent as to whether MSNZ has an investment in Tier 1 through TMC - they just want to see good racing with full grids.
RogerH is offline  
Old 4 Mar 2011, 03:27   #53
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club
 
GTRMagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Australia
In the infamous "Powder Room"
Posts: 36,294
GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!
Murf to join in on-track
GTRMagic is offline  
__________________
"If you want to compete at the pinnacle of motor racing then you need to have the resources of competing there" - Toto Wolff. #RefuelCaterhamF1
Old 4 Mar 2011, 04:20   #54
Biggy G
Veteran
 
Biggy G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 790
Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The full unedited release that appeared in my inbox:

Quote:

4 March 2011

V8SuperTourers confirm Hampton Downs and Greg Murphy for 2012’s opening round
New Zealand motorsport fans have their first chance to see the all-new V8SuperTourers in action at the country’s newest circuit, Hampton Downs, over the weekend of 17 to 19 February next year.

The opening V8SuperTourers’ round is also set to feature Kiwi race star Greg Murphy as a driver and/or team owner.

From his Melbourne base, Murphy says: “I’ve been lucky to have some great success in New Zealand and I love racing at home. The overall level of competition and quality of racing in New Zealand has always been high, but V8Supertourers has caught my attention because they are real race cars and the package gets my heart beating pretty fast. This is something that I have to be a part of – either as a driver or a team owner!”

Sixteen of the new V8SuperTourers are scheduled to line up on the starting grid for the opening round at Hampton Downs. A new race format is in development for the new series with round one comprising practice, qualifying and sprint races. The V8SuperTourers will race on the current 2.8km track and are expected to reach speeds in excess of 260km/h on the unique 1km-long front straight leading across the finish line.

Tony Roberts, managing director of Hampton Downs Motorsport Park, is delighted that that the first-ever ground-breaking V8SuperTourers event will be held at Hampton Downs.

“The Hampton Downs team is very excited about hosting the first round of the V8SuperTourers at our new facility, and it’s also been confirmed that we’ll host rounds four and six. This is a demanding circuit with rise and fall, tough braking and blind corners, but the new V8SuperTourers will certainly be man enough for the job,” says Roberts.

With facilities at Hampton Downs continually being completed and upgraded – like the recently-completed pit garage facility – the V8SuperTourer teams can take advantage of working from the most modern racetrack facilities on offer in New Zealand.

Murphy, in his role as a V8SuperTourers ambassador, believes that fans and sponsors will flock to the first event with the prospect of witnessing the best touring car drivers and teams in the country battling for the first-ever race and round win at Hampton Downs.

“It’s going to be a history-making weekend at Hampton Downs and it’s the perfect place to have the inaugural V8SuperTourers event. They have put in a massive effort over the last couple of years to build this amazing facility and I reckon it will produce superb racing!” says Murphy.

Other than the regular New Zealand V8Supercar events in which Murphy has enjoyed great success, the Kiwi hero hasn’t been involved in a local motor racing series since winning the Grand Prix and Gold Star Championship for single seaters in 1993.

The seven-round V8SuperTourer series visits Hampton Downs for three rounds in 2012, namely: round one from 17 to 19 February, round four from 18 to 20 May and round six from 21 to 23 September.

Additional information regarding the race formats and the other four rounds will be released in the coming weeks.
Biggy G is offline  
Old 4 Mar 2011, 05:47   #55
JC Ohope
Racer
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
New Zealand
Wellington
Posts: 322
JC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great to hear that Murph will be a significant part of the V8 Supertourers.... I wonder how that will effect any iV8SC racing he does in 2012 though?
JC Ohope is offline  
Old 4 Mar 2011, 19:09   #56
Mark Petch
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 614
Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To Clarify, all of our five round dates so far released, are provisional, pending the confirmation of the IV8's 2012 calendar.

Our stated policy, is that no round of the new 7 round V8SUPERTOURER SERIES, will clash with any IV8's.

We have assured Murph, and two other regular IV8 drivers, that have recently made contact with us, of this policy, and that they may rely on that.

The circuits that we have already contracted to run 5 of the provisional dates are also fully aware of any potential clash, and have agreed to accommodate any date change that may become necessary when the IV8 2012 calendar is published later this year, with the exception of only iconic dates.

Mark Petch
CEO, V8 SUPERTOURERS LTD.
Mark Petch is offline  
Old 5 Mar 2011, 08:19   #57
smokin'joe
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 811
smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
People have a choice in life, we wish the situation was not as it is, but it is what it is
why, because it has been decided by an elite few that " it's my way or the highway", and thus forced the change, instead of the original idea to run a common crate engine in the current shell........as mentioned above


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
We have made a choice, and offered the same choice to all the current NZV8 teams at no cost other than the cost of the new car,
people have a choice........either the are forced to buy a completely new car, and any spares can only be puchased through the car supplier because (i suspect) very few parts are off a production unit. if suppliers for the existing v8 class weren't sanctioned as they are, the cars would be cheaper to build, and the class more sustainable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
We believe the traditional Summer Series is unsustainable in this economic climate, will it ever be the same again?

We dont think so.
because we, the elite few, have already started to drive nails into the coffin, and will continue to do so until our egos are massaged accordingly??.
there is already too many classes in this country, so instead of merging cars into an existing class and boosting numbers, every season a new class starts........... no f#$%in wonder the summer series is unsustainable.

too many fields/classes spread over too many events, competing for both the spectator sponsor and entrant dollar, during tight financial times does not spell a recipe for success.
smokin'joe is offline  
Old 5 Mar 2011, 10:33   #58
DJJ
Racer
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location:
New Zealand
Posts: 499
DJJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'joe View Post
why, because it has been decided by an elite few that " it's my way or the highway", and thus forced the change, instead of the original idea to run a common crate engine in the current shell........as mentioned above.
Come on, the current cars are old, different motor combinations have been tried and have not ended up with the result. No point running a common engine if the chassis is or may not be the problem.


Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'joe View Post
people have a choice........either the are forced to buy a completely new car, and any spares can only be puchased through the car supplier because (i suspect) very few parts are off a production unit. if suppliers for the existing v8 class weren't sanctioned as they are, the cars would be cheaper to build, and the class more sustainable.
The new car will be cheaper to maitain, the best thing for the curent cars is the fibreglass guards, they have saved money on repairs. The rest of the stuff is high maintanince regardless of whom supplies it. Yet you will still have 11 year old cars going around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'joe View Post
because we, the elite few, have already started to drive nails into the coffin, and will continue to do so until our egos are massaged accordingly??.
there is already too many classes in this country, so instead of merging cars into an existing class and boosting numbers, every season a new class starts........... no f#$%in wonder the summer series is unsustainable.

too many fields/classes spread over too many events, competing for both the spectator sponsor and entrant dollar, during tight financial times does not spell a recipe for success.
People don't like change, but this has to happen. Everything thing about this new car is to save money, better running costs.

The main option as I see it is it opens up for the Australian teams to possibly field a car, better oposition name drivers and could be a big and good thing. or jethro down in the paddock can keep playing the banjo.
DJJ is offline  
Old 5 Mar 2011, 22:10   #59
Biggy G
Veteran
 
Biggy G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 790
Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gotta agree wtih you DJJ, it's getting harder and harder each year to get sponsors on board whilst running car models that don't even feature in the second string Australian Series. Which rightly or wrongly we will always be compared too.

Go to a sponsor with a new VE or FG, a good tv package, interesting round format and tell them the likes of Greg Murphy are on board, if that doesnt interest them nothing will...
Biggy G is offline  
Old 5 Mar 2011, 23:29   #60
promax
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
New Zealand
New Zealand
Posts: 2,488
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
joe's issue doesn't seem to be with change.. more to do with way it's being done. we don't need to go back to the olden days with only 2 tranzam camaros or a couple of bmws and a telstar fighting it out in our top class. porsche, suzuki, mini. etc are all running current models yet are also finding it difficult to get sponsors on board too. apart from online.. i can't say i've ever any spectators complain at a circuit about the current V8s not being the current models. the look, the sound, good racin' and good numbers is what's important! the a couple of cars (no matter what they are) isn't.
promax is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NZ V8's coverage speedreader Australasian Touring Cars. 39 31 Dec 2011 11:30
O' Brian signs for NZ V8 Championship 105octane Australasian Touring Cars. 23 19 Sep 2004 09:58
Picks for NZ V8 Touring Car Championship Evomike Australasian Touring Cars. 3 13 Nov 2003 06:31
NZ V8 International Tracy Australasian Touring Cars. 1 12 Jun 2003 00:20
NZ v8's Practice One The Tool Man Australasian Touring Cars. 2 8 Nov 2002 10:34


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 21:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2014 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.