Home Forum News Cookbook F1 Predictions FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising IRC Chat  
Site Partners: Rally Ads Racing24 SpotterGuides Downforce Radio MotorsportAds MotorsTV (Sky 447) » 24-10 22:35 : FIA WRC DAILY HIGHLIGHTS RALLY DE ESPANA - DAY 1  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 12 Jun 2011, 12:25   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
In the infamous "Powder Room"
GTRMagic is going for a new lap record!GTRMagic is going for a new lap record!GTRMagic is going for a new lap record!GTRMagic is going for a new lap record!GTRMagic is going for a new lap record!GTRMagic is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
According to this week's Auto Fiction McLaren are looking at sending CRS (their works team) to the mountain next year. Would be great if it were to happen, McLaren dont do things by halves, would really give Audi a run for their money.
Is it the same CRS team that ran a Ferrari 430 in GTEAm at Le Mans this year?

Luck is the residue of design
Old 13 Jun 2011, 05:54   #17
davo.
Racer

Australia
Sydney
davo. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I believe it is the same team.

I wonder what is the chance of getting such teams as listed below to enter the race?

• Farnbacher Racing Ferrari 458
  • Manthey Racing Porsche R
  • Falken Racing Porsche R
  • Black Falcon Mercedes SLS
Old 13 Jun 2011, 07:06   #18
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I doubt you'll get Farnbacher, but never say never.

Hector Lester is keen as mustard, can't say which car though

No doubt a local Lambo or 3 will show up.

Someone ought to consider buying the Manolios Maseratis for it too, it's not really an outright speed event, and a well sorted Maserati would provide fun at a competitive pace and great value. Think about 5% (yes FIVE) of the Audi budget!
Old 14 Jun 2011, 06:21   #19
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Yes it is. The Ferrari effort at Le Mans was a late inclusion to their 2011 programme, I dont McLaren mind as the car was full of gentlemen drivers.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 06:37   #20
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Probably more likely to get a guide looking at the Dubai 24hr and other races in that series than at the 24hrs at the Sarthe or NRing.
But there are some pretty mouth watering options in doing just that!
Old 14 Jun 2011, 07:10   #21
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Class structure here
http://www.speedcafe.com/2011/06/14/...d-for-12-hour/

No more compulsory / timed pit stops

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 14 Jun 2011, 07:29   #22
nafe!
Racer

nafe! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama View Post
Class structure here
http://www.speedcafe.com/2011/06/14/...d-for-12-hour/

No more compulsory / timed pit stops
All the new measures are good except for these in my opinion.

Limiting the cars to 2 seeded drivers. If a team is capable of fielding a all pro line up so be it in my opinion, every team has the same chance to do the same. Its an annoying restriction but not that bad in the end.

But the big ones for me are the introduction of a class allowing commodore cup cars and saloon cars.

Do we really want to see 15 year old cars which can be potentially termed as "bogan" racing with ferrari's? This isnt the wakefield 300....

I know that sounds very snobby and perhaps it is, but i do think the image of the event is important. This is coming from an owner of an ss commodore and a supporter of the commodore cup as a series on its own so please dont think i am against these categories, i just believe they have their place and the b12 isnt it.

The ute category is a bit iffy for me, but at least they can fit in as modern production cars available to the public and relevant to the market today.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 07:45   #23
Richard Craill
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Richard Craill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafe! View Post

Limiting the cars to 2 seeded drivers. If a team is capable of fielding a all pro line up so be it in my opinion, every team has the same chance to do the same. Its an annoying restriction but not that bad in the end.

But the big ones for me are the introduction of a class allowing commodore cup cars and saloon cars.

Do we really want to see 15 year old cars which can be potentially termed as "bogan" racing with ferrari's? This isnt the wakefield 300....

I know that sounds very snobby and perhaps it is, but i do think the image of the event is important. This is coming from an owner of an ss commodore and a supporter of the commodore cup as a series on its own so please dont think i am against these categories, i just believe they have their place and the b12 isnt it.

The ute category is a bit iffy for me, but at least they can fit in as modern production cars available to the public and relevant to the market today.
Reasonable point but one of the biggest complaints people have had of the race is perhaps not being as inclusive as possible for all people - this is a big step to opening it up to a massive array of potential entrants / competitors who might otherwise not have the opportunity.

Saloon / Com Cup / V8 Ute cars are all pretty affordable, all comply to current safety regulations and are all quick enough that they aren't going to be miles off the pace and therefore dangers to themselves and other vehicles. In fact, The Com Cup pole time this year at Easter Bathurst was a 2:32 and a bit, which would have put them bang on the Lynton / Mackelden / Modystach M3 in this year's 12 Hour qualy. The Fastest Saloons were in the 35s and that's quicker than 130i pace.

I think part of the appeal of the race is getting as much variety as possible in there. So why not have Commodore's and Falcons and Utes out there With the exotica in the GTs?
Old 14 Jun 2011, 10:00   #24
davo.
Racer

Australia
Sydney
davo. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see the organisers have come to there senses and freed up some of the restrictions that will hopefully broaden the GT entries..

Nafe, i'm still laughing regarding your comment about the eligibility of bogan cars and comparing it to the Wakefield 300, LOL That will be a site seeing a VH Commodore Cup Car lined up next to a Mercedes SLS on the grid. On that they may as well made a class for HQ Holdens.....

I am also not downing the Aussie based categories, but I believe that cars such as Commodore Cup Cars & Saloon Cars make great viewing as support categories, but please as an international event aimed at securing entries from Mclaren and Audi, I do not know what to say.

Richard I understand the organisers moving the direction of the event to make the event affordable to local teams and broadening the entries, but to allow a 15 year old Commodore into a event where even eligible cars from the AMC are no older than a AUII XR8 Falcon/ VY SS Commodore is a bit strange. Fair enough if Commodore Cup were running VY/VZ Commodores, but for me VS Commodores are a bit ancient for this event.

I have mixed opinions on allowing the Utes to run again, but they have proven themselves in the previous Bathurst 12 Hours to be an affective weapon in the right hands.

Enough on local categories, I would like to see VW enter the Siroccos they were talking about entering last year into the event.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 10:27   #25
AUSRSR
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
AUSRSR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see some sensible regs, finally...

Hopefully we see some more overseas GT entries.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 11:04   #26
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafe! View Post

I am the same nafe. Would love to see 3 pro drivers however with the current place on GT racing in Australia probably not realistic.

Having 2 seeds is a good compromise - keeps the race relevant to car owners in Australia as well.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 11:31   #27
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
GTRMagic is going for a new lap record!GTRMagic is going for a new lap record!GTRMagic is going for a new lap record!GTRMagic is going for a new lap record!GTRMagic is going for a new lap record!GTRMagic is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSRSR View Post
Good to see some sensible regs, finally...

Hopefully we see some more overseas GT entries.
So... what criteria determines which driver is seeded? This has been a bone of contention since the concept was introduced to AusGT's... Is it a championship winner in any class? Is it a race winner in any class? Is it being a paid (and therefore 'professional') racing driver? How old do the wins have to be? (Can I get former Bathurst winners like Mr Grice & Mr Mezera & Mr Seton out of retirement, all unseeded??)

This rule might ensure that a European team may have to run an unseeded Aussie because their racing history is known.

Meantime, I still think on the grounds of safety, scrapping the timed fuel stop is not a great move... most of these tyre changing & brake changing & refuelling crews are not Pros (with no sleight on them, but AusGT isnt big enough, and arguably doesnt have the need...) and is it not better to give teams the time to change brakes as often as they like in the allotted timeframe, making sure the car is safe... I mean how many cars limp around with some technical problem because of the potential time loss to fix it?

Old 14 Jun 2011, 11:33   #28
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So with 2 pro drivers Audi can now run Lowndes/Luff and 1 other "pro" driver

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 14 Jun 2011, 11:35   #29
woodduck97
Rookie

woodduck97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The regs on the GT's appears to be a step forward... the timed/compulsory pit stop thing was confusing, and certainly did the Quinns no favours last year.

Answer me this: If last years rule was one 'seeded' driver per car - how did Lowndes and Luff end up together ? Certainly appears that this year that rule is more sensible, even if what comprises a 'seeded' driver may not be.

Certainly if a factory team was coming and putting all the effort to ship cars out here and spend the money, having to field a 'non seeded' driver with 2 guns may be a put off.

The inclusion of Commodore Cup, Saloon cars, Utes and 3 'invited' categories seems to underscore an element of desperation. It was obvious last year that the event was not embraced by the GT en-masse like it was hoped. Maybe this year with a different structure that may change, but it took an event with nearly 50 cars in production car mode, to 25.. so perhaps in order to grid fill, the organisers have had to cast a wider net. It seems and anybody and everybody policy....
Old 14 Jun 2011, 11:49   #30
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama View Post
So with 2 pro drivers Audi can now run Lowndes/Luff and 1 other "pro" driver
And Mr Eddy can be 4th pilot, step in for 2 laps when behind the Safety Car, and be classified a co-winner