Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Nov 2011, 19:07 (Ref:2982403)   #76
EZY PEEL
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland, NZ in my PIMPED F150
EZY PEEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=brown dog;2982317]
Just adds another cost to the teams if they decide to continue. For example, if I was a team owner, I would be developing a system to retain the wheelnuts in the wheels (nothing new there) or convert to a Nascar style system where the nuts are glued on to the new wheel and long studs are used. Once somebody does it, every one else will have to or get left behind.

[QUOTE]

If you did that then you would be excluded from the results you cheater!

All teams should/do have a trolley jack and a pneumatic rattle gun as standard equiptment, so what additional costs are involved other than practise, practise, practise, perfect?

Your comments are stupid.

Know the rules before you start calling us fools!

Last edited by EZY PEEL; 6 Nov 2011 at 19:18. Reason: trying to fix the quote box thing.
Old 6 Nov 2011, 19:36 (Ref:2982410)   #77
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=EZY PEEL;2982403][QUOTE=brown dog;2982317]
Just adds another cost to the teams if they decide to continue. For example, if I was a team owner, I would be developing a system to retain the wheelnuts in the wheels (nothing new there) or convert to a Nascar style system where the nuts are glued on to the new wheel and long studs are used. Once somebody does it, every one else will have to or get left behind.

Quote:

If you did that then you would be excluded from the results you cheater!

All teams should/do have a trolley jack and a pneumatic rattle gun as standard equiptment, so what additional costs are involved other than practise, practise, practise, perfect?

Your comments are stupid.

Know the rules before you start calling us fools!

From your own rules:

(4)
Alternative fixation studs and nuts may be fitted provided they are entirely of ferrous
material and respect the original thread diameter, pitch and number.

And thats about it for wheelnuts. Nothing there to prevent running long wheel studs or retaining the nuts on the wheels. With the exception of maybe Foggy's pitstop which was very quick, the rest all looked like amateur hour,eg. dropping wheelnuts, mechanics without gloves to handle hot wheelnuts, rattle guns that would not undo wheelnuts. etc and in my view did nothing to help the credibility of the race. Looks like 95% of the field needed more "practise practise practise" [sic]

Old 6 Nov 2011, 20:45 (Ref:2982438)   #78
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
"amateur hour" "mechanics without gloves"

well you better run off and tell Mr Fogg he's an amateur for not wearing a pair of gloves
Old 6 Nov 2011, 20:50 (Ref:2982442)   #79
MacrosNZ
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
MacrosNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He was driving the car not doing up the wheel nuts.
Old 6 Nov 2011, 20:56 (Ref:2982447)   #80
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
did he not help put his car together after R2? judging by the state of his hands in his R3 interview.. gloves weren't a high priority
Old 6 Nov 2011, 21:28 (Ref:2982464)   #81
MacrosNZ
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
MacrosNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah but that's a different case.

I think Brown Dog was meaning that the mechanics assigned for changing wheels didn't have the appropriate gear (gloves) to do their job.
Old 6 Nov 2011, 21:45 (Ref:2982471)   #82
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
oh i thought he was just a dig just for the sake of having a dig
Old 6 Nov 2011, 21:50 (Ref:2982477)   #83
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacrosNZ View Post
yeah but that's a different case.

I think Brown Dog was meaning that the mechanics assigned for changing wheels didn't have the appropriate gear (gloves) to do their job.
Yes that was what I was referring to, you tend to drop hot wheel nuts on the ground if you are not wearing gloves.
Foggy did a brilliant job all things considered, and amazed they managed to nail it back together after that shunt. Safety car should have been sent out before that pileup, it was an accident waiting to happen and everyone knew it.

Did the results stand as Manuell P1? I didn't understand why he was awarded the race win, and results were not taken back from the previous lap. Can someone explain that to me?

Meanwhile, some pretty good shots of some of the carnage here:

http://www.p1forums.net/index.php?th...-nov-2011.460/
http://www.p1forums.net/index.php?th...-nov-2011.459/

Last edited by brown dog; 6 Nov 2011 at 21:59.
Old 6 Nov 2011, 23:05 (Ref:2982519)   #84
foggy
Rookie

foggy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wheel nuts

Hi Conrad, we did, and have developed a real neat system for quick wheel changes, but were scuttled at the last minute by the powers that be...an amendment was issued to teams, but does not seem to have found its way onto motorsport website.
In my humble opinion, nascar style 5 lug wheel nut changes are far more entertaining and skilful than a stinky centre nut
Old 6 Nov 2011, 23:16 (Ref:2982531)   #85
EZY PEEL
Rookie

New Zealand
[QUOTE=brown dog;2982410][QUOTE=EZY PEEL;2982403]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown dog View Post

From your own rules:

(4)
Alternative fixation studs and nuts may be fitted provided they are entirely of ferrous
material and respect the original thread diameter, pitch and number.

And thats about it for wheelnuts. Nothing there to prevent running long wheel studs or retaining the nuts on the wheels. With the exception of maybe Foggy's pitstop which was very quick, the rest all looked like amateur hour,eg. dropping wheelnuts, mechanics without gloves to handle hot wheelnuts, rattle guns that would not undo wheelnuts. etc and in my view did nothing to help the credibility of the race. Looks like 95% of the field needed more "practise practise practise" [sic]

Ok, I do not have the rules in front of me (that is Kev's job) but as it is explained to me the nuts must be able to fall free from the wheels.

I am Angus's Jack Man (and Kevin was on the gun) so I thank-you for the compliment. We practised very hard and knew both of our exact jobs and speeds and had rehersed multiple back-up plans for possible curve balls. I believe it payed off too. (Driver was happy and that is the main thing).
Old 6 Nov 2011, 23:40 (Ref:2982539)   #86
brown dog
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy View Post
Hi Conrad, we did, and have developed a real neat system for quick wheel changes, but were scuttled at the last minute by the powers that be...an amendment was issued to teams, but does not seem to have found its way onto motorsport website.
In my humble opinion, nascar style 5 lug wheel nut changes are far more entertaining and skilful than a stinky centre nut
Hi Foggy,

Yes the Nascar style system is more entertaining, but even that is far more developed than the average punter realizes, as I am sure you know!

Oh well at least you were thinking about the wheel change ahead of time, and looks like you nailed it anyway, even without the trick system!

[QUOTE=EZY PEEL;2982531][QUOTE=brown dog;2982410]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZY PEEL View Post

Ok, I do not have the rules in front of me (that is Kev's job) but as it is explained to me the nuts must be able to fall free from the wheels.

I am Angus's Jack Man (and Kevin was on the gun) so I thank-you for the compliment. We practised very hard and knew both of our exact jobs and speeds and had rehersed multiple back-up plans for possible curve balls. I believe it payed off too. (Driver was happy and that is the main thing).
Yep as I said, you guys really nailed the wheel change, and that was quite obvious from the sidelines, well done!

Did the results from Race 2 stand?

Conrad
Old 6 Nov 2011, 23:56 (Ref:2982545)   #87
EZY PEEL
Rookie

New Zealand
Heres how we figure it,

Cars that crashed on top of the hill and stopped before the finish line were:

Fogg
Bargs
Bristow
Edgell
Richards
Short
Evans

Manuell who was on wets made it thru all the carnage (slowly) and crossed over the finish line (thus completing 9 laps) then the red flag came out straight behind him and all remaining competitors that were still mobile, managed to stop before the start/finish line.

Therefore Manuell had done 9 laps when the red came out, all other competitors had only done 8

Count back rule applies to the start of the lap and since Manuell was the only car to do 9 laps . . . bingo.

Technically it is correct.

The crash was so close to the start/finish the delay was inevitable. If the crashes had happened back at the hairpin then the results would have gone back to the start of lap 8 (assuming of course again that no one made it over the start/finish before the red.).
Old 7 Nov 2011, 00:20 (Ref:2982553)   #88
brown dog
Racer

Ah okay, that make sense then. If the red flag had shown BEFORE Manuell had crossed the start/finish then the results would have rewound to the completion of lap 8. But as it was shown AFTER he had crossed the line then he was declared winner which is correct as you say.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 7 Nov 2011, 00:52 (Ref:2982556)   #89
EZY PEEL
Rookie

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown dog View Post
Ah okay, that make sense then. If the red flag had shown BEFORE Manuell had crossed the start/finish then the results would have rewound to the completion of lap 8. But as it was shown AFTER he had crossed the line then he was declared winner which is correct as you say.

Thanks for the clarification.
Pretty close, the accident happened on lap 8, if Manuell had not completed the lap (or red flag BEFORE Manuell had crossed the start/finish), then results would have gone back to the completion of lap 7.

You get the gist.
Old 7 Nov 2011, 04:25 (Ref:2982591)   #90
KLR93
Rookie

New Zealand
Whangarei
KLR93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amazed at the decision making in race 2 really.. it was raining.. the track was absoltuley drenched yet people decided to start on slick tyres.. did you not learn your lessons from timaru?

Its really no surprise Paul won, he deserved to, he/team made the right call and had a clean car at the end of it all!! That carnage was almost inevitable.
Old 7 Nov 2011, 04:38 (Ref:2982593)   #91
EZY PEEL
Rookie

New Zealand

Last edited by EZY PEEL; 7 Nov 2011 at 04:47.
Old 7 Nov 2011, 05:39 (Ref:2982596)   #92
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR93 View Post
Its really no surprise Paul won, he deserved to, he/team made the right call and had a clean car at the end of it all!! That carnage was almost inevitable.
Totally agree!!

Had to laugh at Bargs saying that the race should have been red flagged earlier. Whats the point of that?? Would have only have hugely disadvantaged those that took the gamble (that paid off in this case) to start on wets. The rest should have either slowed down for the conditions or pitted during the race to change...

I think that the red flag rule needs to be changed with only those that can make it back to the start/finish line as required or say Parc Ferme, being able to be classified as finishers. Its crazy that someone can crash & still win or place in the race. 1992(?) Bathurst with the Skyline crashing & winning was poor for the sport & tbh the NZV8 results are too...
Old 7 Nov 2011, 06:43 (Ref:2982608)   #93
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR93 View Post
Amazed at the decision making in race 2 really.. it was raining.. the track was absoltuley drenched yet people decided to start on slick tyres.. did you not learn your lessons from timaru?

To be fair to the other teams, it had been spitting on and off all morning without really getting 'wet'... if the race had of started 5 minutes earlier then none of the carnage would have happened.
Only thing that's inevitable is that it's easier to give the correct answer after the fact....Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Old 8 Nov 2011, 05:38 (Ref:2983025)   #94
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that any cars would have the advantage of already being on the wets so would not pit so would get to start at the front. The boys at the front that crashed seem to me had slowen down as they looked to be on tip toes

I don't see a caution flag being a bad thing in those conditions.

We really don't need more money thrown into damage this year.
Old 10 Nov 2011, 02:41 (Ref:2983807)   #95
EZY PEEL
Rookie

New Zealand
Heres the link on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiKVDVvlFhk&NR=1

Fast foward to 11min (crash was at 11:30 ish)
Old 11 Nov 2011, 04:43 (Ref:2984231)   #96
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
Totally agree!!

Had to laugh at Bargs saying that the race should have been red flagged earlier. Whats the point of that?? Would have only have hugely disadvantaged those that took the gamble (that paid off in this case) to start on wets. The rest should have either slowed down for the conditions or pitted during the race to change...
I guess it's a question of safety.

It does strike me is a little strange that for the sake of safety, if the race is declared wet you must your rain light operating. But if it starts hosing down halfway through a race and guys are on slicks, you're not required to have your rain light going and their quite happy to have everyone running around until there's carnage. I'd suggest that what was alllowed to happen in Race 2 was far far far far more dangerous than a non operational rain light.
Old 12 Nov 2011, 02:37 (Ref:2984616)   #97
Six8
Rookie

Six8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ouch.....

Stolen from here
Old 12 Nov 2011, 05:03 (Ref:2984648)   #98
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
is someone pouring water over a Fogg voodoo doll? the pre 65's come out to play at Manfeild and wet stuff starts falling.
Old 13 Nov 2011, 23:08 (Ref:2985895)   #99
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
i see Nick Chester did a 1:03.359 at Hampton Downs over the weekend. DAMN!! pity there's no coverage of last weekend's Sports GT class
Old 14 Nov 2011, 03:36 (Ref:2985986)   #100
Fairlane GTA
Rookie

New Zealand
Parnell
Fairlane GTA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here you go promax.......

Qualifying, lap time 1:03.359 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq94a0TKM_A

On board race 3, lots of traffic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P16-gsl9PfA