Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 Apr 2012, 18:56 (Ref:3067589)   #1
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Dreaming of a FIA/FIM Motorsport World Cup - Sports car events

Hi, folks! Today I woke up dreaming of a FIA/FIM Motorsport World Cup, the equivalent of the Olympics and the FIFA, FIBA, IAAF and IRB World Cups. It would be held in a rotating single venue every four years. It would show all motorsport disciplines in a single event, promote technology development and road safety, and attract major audiences.

The main disciplines would be formula racing, sports prototypes, grand tourers, touring cars, rallying, rallycross, superbikes, motocross, enduro and trial. Secondary disciplines could be oval racing, trucks, drifting, hillclimbing, ice racing, freestyle motoross, etc. The final events would be karting and minibikes, with the podium finishers and polesitters from all the disciplines.

Each country would field up to 3 drivers in each discipline (5 in protos / GT), so in a 24-vehicle grid there could be over a dozen countries represented.

- o -

There would be three sports car racing events: two 40-minute heats for single driver GT3, a 2-hour race for two-driver GT3, and a 6-hour race for three-driver LMP1 teams and guest GT3 teams for non tin-top drivers and riders.

I pulled this GT3 grid. No manufacturer has multiple drivers from the same country.

o- Germany: Bernhard (Audi), Dirk Werner (BMW), Jäger (Mercedes), Bergmeister (Porsche), Krumm (Nissan)
o- Britain: McNish (Audi), Priaulx (BMW), Jarvis (Mercedes), Westbrook (Porsche), Turner (Aston Martin)
o- France: Dumas (Audi), Pilet (Porsche)
o- Monaco: Ortelli (Audi), Beretta (Ferrari)
o- Italy: Fisichella, Bruni or Bertolini (Ferrari)
o- Czech Republic: Enge (Lamborghini)
o- Austria: Wendingler (Mercedes), Lietz (Porsche)
o- Netherlands: Maassen (Porsche), Cox (Lamborghini)
o- Belgium: Martin (BMW), Goosens (Dodge)
o- Sweden: Ekstrom (Audi)
o- Finland: Vilander (Ferrari)
o- Denmark: Kristensen (Audi), Magnussen (Chevrolet)
o- Spain: GarcÃ*a (Chevrolet)
o- Portugal: Parente (McLaren), Lamy (Corvette)
o- United States: Hand (BMW), Long (Porsche), Milner (Chevrolet), Hunter-Reay (Dodge)
o- Canada: Spengler (BMW), Wickens (Mercedes)
o- Mexico: Fernández (Aston Martin)
o- Brazil: Farfus (BMW), Matos or Melo (Ferrari)
o- Australia: Brabham (McLaren)
o- Japan: Motoyama (Nissan)

That's 3 Audis, 3 BMWs, 2 Mercedes, 3 Porsches, 2 Ferraris, 2 Chevys and 1 Aston, McLaren, Dodge, Lamborghini and Nissan, totalling 20 cars. France, Italy and Japan could provide more drivers, but I can't put them anywhere (should ask for help to Toyota / Lexus and Nissan). With the 5-driver limit, there are tons of Germans and Britons missing the World Cup.

Who would you pick?

Last edited by NaBUru38; 30 Apr 2012 at 18:58. Reason: added karting
Old 30 Apr 2012, 19:42 (Ref:3067615)   #2
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
I don't get it.

Why would this happen, what would the sanction fee be, who would go see it, and who pays for these one off cars, and how do the manufacturers ensure they are equal?
Old 30 Apr 2012, 20:02 (Ref:3067622)   #3
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Emmm ..... last time I checked Ireland was somewhere in Europe !!!

Ireland ..... Kane HPD , Griffin-Ferrari , Faulkner-Porsche .
Old 1 May 2012, 18:16 (Ref:3067980)   #4
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Sorry, Badger, I'm sure I've forgotten lots of countries. I opened the top 2011 GT championships in Wikipedia and built the list. Kane surely can do the LMP1 race, or perhaps run yet another Audi.

Faulkner seems to have raced in Porsche Cup races only, so I'd pick others firsts. I had never heared Griffin, and for a reason: he only did British Porsche Cup and Touring Car with little success.

- o -

Fogelhund, the World Cup would be a joint venture of FIA and FIM, with support from all sanctioning bodies and promoters to promote motorsport around the world.

Editions in North America, Europe and East Asia could happen in late August, during the season pause and just before football begins. Editions in the Middle East, Oceania and South America could happen in mid December, when there's nicer weather.

Like the Olympics and the Football World Cup, the FIA and FIM would get terrestrial television coverage and would attract major sponsors. They would pay the party, without forgetting manufacturers, drivers sponsors snd national sponsors (Eircom could back Kane, same for Exim Bank and O'Young).

GT3 and WRC cars are equalized, same for Moto2 or Superbikes. Formula cars would be spec, with eventual multiple engines later a la IndyCar.